SO frustrated!

Options
I joined MFP just a little over two weeks ago. During the first week and a half, I lost 3 1/2 pounds. I've really ramped up the exercise, doing Zumba, 50 minutes on the treadmill, 8 mile bike rides, weight lifting and have stayed at or sightly under the 1200 calorie limit that I am on. I had 7 pounds that I wanted to lose. This morning I weighed in...up 2 1/2 pounds. I wanted to cry. What is going on?

Replies

• ricebaseball
    Options
    relax. with the increased exercise it is easier to put on muscle mass. ie muscle weighs more then fat (density). It also takes about 3 weeks to change your metabolism. keep it up if you can.
  • SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    I joined MFP just a little over two weeks ago. During the first week and a half, I lost 3 1/2 pounds. I've really ramped up the exercise, doing Zumba, 50 minutes on the treadmill, 8 mile bike rides, weight lifting and have stayed at or sightly under the 1200 calorie limit that I am on. I had 7 pounds that I wanted to lose. This morning I weighed in...up 2 1/2 pounds. I wanted to cry. What is going on?

I know your frustrated and I feel bad for you, btu I really think its all going to be ok. Your building muscle, and burning fat right now. Just keep to your plan, your building a healthier you!
  • sandmart2009
    sandmart2009 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Maybe that first week may have all been water weight. After you have actually started with working out, you develop muscle mass, which in turn could cause you to gain some weight. But you shouldn't worry about this. YOu may have gained 2 lbs but have actually lost some inches. I went through the exact same thing. First two weeks, I lost 4 pounds. On the third week, gained 2. Fourth week, plateau. But I just kept going. I felt that even when I gained some weight back, I felt more alert and energetic. True to it. on the fifth week, I started losing again. 2 pounds a week.

Consistency is the key. SOmetimes the weight is just one factor of a healthy you! Don't stop! :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,112 Member
    Options
    relax. with the increased exercise it is easier to put on muscle mass. ie muscle weighs more then fat (density). It also takes about 3 weeks to change your metabolism. keep it up if you can.

She didn't gain 2.5 lbs of muscle in two weeks! Read up, gentlemen! No one is going to gain 2.5 lbs of muscle in two weeks! It is not possible. Not even one lb.

Especially on 1200 cals a day.
  • marcnee
    Options
    A common mistake for people is to decrease calories and increase activity. However If you don't eat enough to recover from your increased exercise-your body will hang on to every calorie you take in. Up your calorie intake with more quality protein and give your body a chance to catch up. Also watch your sodium intake and water the two days before you weigh in.
  • MillerLight
    Options
    You are being too hard on yourself! How many daily calories were you consuming before you dropped to 1,200? It also depends on your height, muscle mass, etc. Have you cut back on caffeine? Caffeine can stimulate hunger. Hang in there and consume more vegetables - because they contain fiber, they are much more filling and good for your body. :smile:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    That's great that you ramped up your exercise. Did you ramp up your calories to compensate? Your body needs fuel, and if it's running on empty, you'll ruin the engine & eventually stall. I know it seems counter intuitive, but you need to eat more to weigh less.
  • BarbH1
    Options
    Thanks! I have been adding in my exercise calories and coming very close to the goal each day....1200+workout. I will hang in there and will watch that water. I have also really increased the water/liquid intake as I was never very good at that. I'm eating well balanced, carefully planned meals, but I guess what I need is patience! UGH!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,112 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have been adding in my exercise calories and coming very close to the goal each day....1200+workout. I will hang in there and will watch that water. I have also really increased the water/liquid intake as I was never very good at that. I'm eating well balanced, carefully planned meals, but I guess what I need is patience! UGH!!

Yeah, and how did you arrive at the "I need to lose 7 lbs"? (according to your profile) - it takes patience to lose any weight when you have so little to spare. (So little to lose)