How do you deal with the loose skin?

Options
For people who have had major weight loss and have loose skin...what do you do about it? Does it ever shrink back? Does it demotivate you to keep going? Will we ever have that dream body? Is surgery the only way to get rid of it?

Replies

• vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    seems like exercising as I diet is helping a lot with the skin tightening compared to when I was dieting alone. Someone said if you lose enough fat the skin has to tighten since it's where all the fat is stored but I doubt I will get to that low of a fat body %. For now I don't let it bother me as I keep going on my journey.
  • nattles90
    Options
    Well see I've always exercised AND kept a semi-healthy diet. I also lost the weight relatively slowly so I just never thought it would suck this much! Honestly I was so deceived by popular culture telling me that since I was young my skin would just "bounce right back" I never saw it coming! But, yes, the only thing we can do is to keep pushing on right?
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    pretty much, just use it as motivation :)
  • Oaeneo
    Oaeneo Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Give it time. You are young and your skin does have much more resilience to change than older skin. I have never had a comparable all over weight loss. However, when I was pregnant my belly got huge. Like triplets huge. All of that gone in a matter of hours made my stomach skin look like a sagging deflated balloon. I thought it was horrible and "oh god would it ever go back?". I was 28 almost 29 when I had my baby. It took about a year to a year and a half for it to go back. It still isn't exactly as firm as it was before but it is A LOT better. I say give it time still, hydrate hydrate hydrate, tone the muscles under there and you should see results.

Good luck!
  • DCHound
    DCHound Posts: 12
    Options
    Whether your skin will bounce back on its own depends on a lot of factors, like age and highest weight, and length of time at highest weight, but primarily on genetics. Over time a lot of peoples' skin will tighten up on its own without surgery but there are things you can do that help. There are a number of vitamins and minerals that will help tighten skin, some simple exercises you can do, and lifting weights is very important. I actually have done a lot of research on this as I've lost weight - nearly 200 pounds since 2008 - and I compiled all my research into a website (www.firmlooseskin) and a book, Firm Loose Skin, on Amazon in Kindle version (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009MT4588/ref=nosim?tag=firlooski-20&linkCode=sb1&camp=212353&creative=380549) and paperback (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009MT4588/ref=nosim?tag=firlooski-20&linkCode=sb1&camp=212353&creative=380549). You can read a sample of the book on the website.

Great job on losing weight so far! I know how hard it is myself, but it's totally worth it.