Anybody go to Planet Fitness?

Options
It is getting way too cold outside for this wuss to run, and I would love to join a gym where I can burn some serious calories on the elliptical. I thought I couldn't afford a membership right now, but according to the planet fitness website, I could get a membership for $19.99 a month! Does anybody else go to this gym? I'm a little wary of their low prices... I know there aren't any classes, which is a bummer, but for $20/month I don't think I can ask for much more than a heated room with some cardio machines!

Replies

• dkiger85
    dkiger85 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love planet fittness! They do have classes and there isn't an extra charge for them. I went and got a personal one on one assestment with a personal trainer. They gave me a sheet to fill out everytime I go for weights. I had no clue what I was doing regarding weights and now I'm less intimidated. They also have tanning at no extra charge :)
  • zechks
    zechks Posts: 224
    Options
    It is getting way too cold outside for this wuss to run, and I would love to join a gym where I can burn some serious calories on the elliptical. I thought I couldn't afford a membership right now, but according to the planet fitness website, I could get a membership for $19.99 a month! Does anybody else go to this gym? I'm a little wary of their low prices... I know there aren't any classes, which is a bummer, but for $20/month I don't think I can ask for much more than a heated room with some cardio machines!

Actually the tv commercial says it's $10/month.. I don't go there so I'm really not sure. If you're a beginner then PF is pretty good for it's low monthly membership.
  • lightweightdiva
    lightweightdiva Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Actually the tv commercial says it's $10/month.. I don't go there so I'm really not sure. If you're a beginner then PF is pretty good for it's low monthly membership.

You're right, they do have an option for $10/month which is even more crazy! But the $20/month option has more perks ;)
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    There are two memberships - $10 basic, and $20 "black card" membership you can always bring a guest, use their tanning, massage chairs, red light therapy, hydro beds, and 1/2 price drinks. You also have access to unlimited personal training sessions. I truly enjoy going there, and I have never got more out of a gym membership. The one I go to is always very clean, and there are plenty of machines to use, even the weights area have a lot to offer.
  • kayg82
    kayg82 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I go there, I pay $10 a month plus a yearly fee of $29. I just have the basic plan, but the $20 per month includes tanning, massage chairs, and access to PF everywhere. I like it. Its clean and noone sits there looking at you workout.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I've used both LA Fitness and currently use Planet Fitness, and for the price of membership you get quite a bit at PF. However, depending on your gym needs, it's not as luxe or as extensive as LA Fitness. They have no fitness classes like Zumba, Spinning, Body Blast... etc. The personal training is free, but it's not an individual trainer who has a workout and individually coaches you for a period of time. It's a one time meeting with a person who has basic knowledge of the gym and equipment and writes you workouts that you do on your own time. There's no lap pool or sauna, and while they have quite a bit of equpiment, the variety is limited. So if you're self sufficient and don't need more than the basics to get a work out in, PF is great. If you're looking for a bit extra, I'd suggest researching other gyms available in your area.
  • jdsmom0104
    Options
    I do, chamblee in Atlanta... There was a promo for $100 for the yr, so that's what I pay. There are $10&$20 memberships. There are classes. I've only taken the abs class which was really goodm worth every penny!!! And I used to HATE the gym :blushing:
  • mukamom
    mukamom Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have the $10.00/ mo membership. I love it. It suits me for what I need, it's clean, and help is available if you need/want it.

Not many frills, but meh, I don't need 'em.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    there's one about 3 blocks from here .. but .. it's kinda chintzy (in my opinion) I like their prices .. you can't beat them. There's a 24 Hour Fitness across the street from me .. and I just paid for a 2 year membership up front (which comes to $17.91/month if I break it down). They have a lap pool .. aqua exercise (aerobic and aqua zumba) classes .. as well as anytime to just do laps. They have all kinds of classes from yoga, to weight/strength training, zumba, pilates.. whatever.

The local Planet Fitness is a bit limited .. different ones have different offerings .. so be sure to check out everything they have. Online - you can check client/customer reviews to see if their equipment is in working condition, are their reps helpful and attentive, etc.

See if you can get a free pass (3-day or more) to check out the facility. 24 Hour Fitness gave me and my son a 7 day (consecutive) pass to check things out. I'm sure Planet Fitness does something similar.

If anything .. get a facility tour .. ask about membership, what does it include, etc. Do they offer personal trainers .. how much? you know .. just go and get informed. Ask someone that's working out there (on the treadmill or where ever) how they like it. Don't be shy.. it's YOUR money.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness isn't bad, I used them for a while. Pretty solid gym except most of them don't have good squat/bench press setups and dumbbells don't go past 75lbs. But those aren't concerns for most gym goers. Price is pretty hard to beat.