The Cafeteria Diet

Options
I just wanted some advice from you guys. I'm trying really hard to get into the swing of a healthier life, but the food options I'm offered makes it kind of rough. I'm a full time college student, living on campus with a seven day meal plan and no spare cash to go out and buy ingredients to cook healthier meals for myself or eat out. The cafeteria on campus doesn't really supply too many healthy alternatives, especially on weekends (when basically the only hot foods served are hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, and make-them-yourself waffles). I really am trying to get on a healthier track, but I'm finding it hard when really the only seemingly edible options in the cafeteria are the unhealthy ones. Advice?

Replies

• kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I once lived at a residential drug treatment facility, and lost 20-30 pounds by a) not liking the food, and b) immediately going over to the garbage and dumping the things I shouldn't be eating off my tray (we had no control over what went on the tray, only on what we ate), like the cake and half the bun from hot dogs and hamburgers. I ate all the vegetables and fruit, even when I didn't like it.

Make the best choices you can, drink a lot of water, and exercise.
  • annabellavita
    Options
    Okay, when I was in the military I had to eat cafeteria food, but I'm not sure if it compares to what you have available. If I could, I would just avoid anything fried or cooked in a lot of grease. For breakfast I would get a bowl of oatmeal (they serve it plain, so I'd stir peanut butter in). Or if they had eggs I'd get them scrambled or have them make a veggie omelet. I would grab any fruit they had or veggies. For lunch I'd try for grilled chicken if they had it. And a lot of times for dinner I just went to the salad bar since I was always super late.

I hope this helps! I know it's not very easy, and it definitely gets boring eating the same thing day after day. If all else fails, just use portion control so even if you have to eat something unhealthy you don't overdo it.
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you have a salad bar there-why not eat a big salad loaded with veggies or fruits, a little dressing, and meat every other day?
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Ask for things without cheese, no condiments, drink your meals with water. Don't get fries or anything deep fried. Do they have any salads or fresh fruit?

Make sure everything is logged into MFP and try to stick to your intake goals. Weight loss is literally calories in - calories out.