Protein after workout

Options
I'm us this is on here somewhere, but I'm wondering if a protein shake or something would be helpful after strength training? What does it do to help your muscles and will it help with soreness?

Replies

• saminilla
    Options
    It helps build, repair, and recover your muscles. I have been exercising 5x a week for 1.5-2hours a day on a 1300 calorie diet for the last 3 weeks and i haven't seen the scale budge. I read an article that you should eat about 1g of protien per pound you weigh and tried that the last 2 days and have dropped 3 pounds in 2 days and my arms didn't hurt so much today as they normally do. Heres a link to what i read... http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/how-much-protein-per-day/ good luck!!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Yes. Ideally you want a mixture of protein and carbohydrates in a 4:1 ratio. It doesn't have to be a protein shake. Low fat chocolate milk is cheaper and just as effective. This is to repair muscle and replenish glycogen stores.

Edit: It's not a protein per pound of bodyweight. It protein per pound of LEAN body mass. Protein, just like any other other nutrient, if in excess will just be stored as fat or excreeted.
  • Italiano7
    Italiano7 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    It helps build, repair, and recover your muscles. I have been exercising 5x a week for 1.5-2hours a day on a 1300 calorie diet for the last 3 weeks and i haven't seen the scale budge. I read an article that you should eat about 1g of protien per pound you weigh and tried that the last 2 days and have dropped 3 pounds in 2 days and my arms didn't hurt so much today as they normally do. Heres a link to what i read... http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/how-much-protein-per-day/ good luck!!

Great article! Thank you. I find myself in the same situation as you i will boost up my protein. also a bit of advice try to up your cals a little to give your metabolism a boost-see if this helps as well.
  • RyanWilson1993
    RyanWilson1993 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    It would be very helpful just make sure you get 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight a day!
  • itsjilly
    Options
    My trainer says protein protein protein. a pice of Banana before strength training, and protein after. And yes 1g of Protein for 1lb of weight wold be great, bt depending on how mch you weigh that cold be hard..
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    it helps with the recovery, they say you should take it ASAP after your workout, so its best to just carry a shaker and powder (if you are using powder) to the gym with you
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Yup recovery shake or meal (protein and simple carbs) in the first hour after training is best...helps those muscles recover, gives them some fuel to mend and grow...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    The truth is, unless you are planning to do another intense workout the same day (think pro athlete training), there is no need to refuel immediately after the gm. You will refuel at your next meal.
    The 30 minute window is something that was popular among bodybuilding crowds but is not necessary.
    That said, I eat after the gym because I am usually hungry then. I use protein powder to help reach my protein goals and it's a quick and filling snack so often my post workout meal is protein shake.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It would be very helpful just make sure you get 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight a day!

Actually that's per pound of lean body mass. Huge difference for overweight people. And actually you can go as low as .8g per pound LBM.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    ^That is true.

Also true is the thing about protein windows. I don't delay too much in getting protein after a workout, but it takes a while for the body to process it and get it into the blood also. I actually usually eat some protein ~2 hours before working out so it's already starting to get into the bloodstream by the time the muscles start to need it.
  • Ldysw357
    Ldysw357 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for some great information!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Yup recovery shake or meal (protein and simple carbs) in the first hour after training is best...helps those muscles recover, gives them some fuel to mend and grow...

Inaccurate. The anabolic window is approximatley 24 hours. There is no need to take a shaker and powder to the gym unless that is your preference.

To quote Alan Aragon:

Alan: The post-exercise “anabolic window” is a highly misused & abused concept. Preworkout nutrition all but cancels the urgency, unless you’re an endurance athlete with multiple glycogen-depleting events in a single day. Getting down to brass tacks, a relatively recent study (Power et al. 2009) showed that a 45g dose of whey protein isolate takes appx. 50 minutes to cause blood AA levels to peak. Resulting insulin levels, which peaked at 40 minutes after ingestion, remained at elevations known to max out the inhibition of muscle protein breakdown (15-30 mU/L) for 120 minutes after ingestion. This dose takes 3 hours for insulin & AA levels to return to baseline from the point of ingestion. The inclusion of carbs to this dose would cause AA & insulin levels to peak higher & stay elevated above baseline even longer.

So much for the anabolic peephole & the urgency to down AAs during your weight training workout; they are already seeping into circulation (& will continue to do so after your training bout is done). Even in the event that a preworkout meal is skipped, the anabolic effect of the postworkout meal is increased as a supercompensatory response (Deldicque et al, 2010). Moving on, another recent study (Staples et al, 2010) found that a substantial dose of carbohydrate (50g maltodextrin) added to 25g whey protein was unable to further increase post-exercise net muscle protein balance compared to the protein dose without carbs. Again, this is not to say that adding carbs at this point is counterproductive, but it certainly doesn’t support the idea that you must get your lightning-fast post-exercise carb orgy for optimal results.

Something that people don’t realize is that there’s no “magic anabolic window” that’s open for a short period of time near the workout & then rapidly disappears. As a result of a single training bout, the receptivity of muscle to protein dosing can persist for at least 24 hours (Burd et al, 2011).
  • Marquettedominos
    Marquettedominos Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    The first law of nutrient timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
    The second law of nutrient timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.

Alan Aragon
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    ^^^
    I couldn't find that.
    I even googled specifically googled Alan Aragon too.
  • kramalicious
    Options
    I read something a while ago about the hour after the workout being called " the Golden Hour" because that's when you need to have protein and higher glycemic carbs to help restore your glycogen levels. I always try to eat something according to this principle and it helps me keep on my plan without getting crazy hungry. JMO
  • nexangelus
    Options
    To the poster who quoted aragon, some of us are on low carb ratios anyway, so we also need the carbs rather than the protein to replenish the lost stores....just saying...
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    To the poster who quoted aragon, some of us are on low carb ratios anyway, so we also need the carbs rather than the protein to replenish the lost stores....just saying...

Oh ffs...the rule still applies. Why the hell do some people tend to think that the body is just a massive pipe that nutrients fall out of as soon as you dump them in? It takes hours for the body to fully process anything you put in it.

Twenty-four hours makes FAR more sense than 30 minutes to an hour, if you...ya know, think about it, instead of just believing the random **** people come up with.
  • bdunt2646
    bdunt2646 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My trainer says protein protein protein. a pice of Banana before strength training, and protein after. And yes 1g of Protein for 1lb of weight wold be great, bt depending on how mch you weigh that cold be hard..

im actually getting ready to start taking protein to boost some weight loss... however im VERY over weight... what would you suggest is a good amount of protein for a 5'4" female that weighs 231lbs ...cause im sure taking in THAT many grams of protein would be ridiculous?
  • nexangelus
    Options
    Oh ffs...the rule still applies. Why the hell do some people tend to think that the body is just a massive pipe that nutrients fall out of as soon as you dump them in? It takes hours for the body to fully process anything you put in it.

Twenty-four hours makes FAR more sense than 30 minutes to an hour, if you...ya know, think about it, instead of just believing the random **** people come up with.

No need to be a rude *kitten*, I have read quite a lot of literature and not some dumb *kitten* random **** as you put it, Keep calm and to each their own...

p.s. it is 1g of protein per LEAN MASS...not your whole weight to the poster above.