Water intake?

Options
I read that 8oz is recommended. I drank three liters today and looked online for a converter into oz, and it came up like 105.something. Obviously this is not right!
Any ideas?

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    The "standard" recommended amount is 64oz, or 8 cups of water (at 8oz each). But many people choose to drink more for overall benefits to the body, some drink less because they don't like water or say that they get water in the foods they eat and that adds to their daily amount.

I personally drink about 18 cups of water a day most days because it's just what I naturally drink.
  • Laura_amie
    Laura_amie Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    ohh that makes much more sense! It translates to about 12 cups... I think ha
  • natalovesmusic
    natalovesmusic Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Generally, a person who sits around all day should drink those 8 oz of water a day but for those who are more/very active, it takes a lot more water to keep them hydrated.
  • Marquettedominos
    Marquettedominos Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I drink 1 to 1.5 gallons a day or 4-5 liters.
  • lookfitnaked
    Options
    Also if your dieting, I tell all my clients to drink two glasses of water before each meal helps your body feel fuller quicker. Also as far as water intake is concerned 3.75 liters = 1 gallon. I call it the gallon challenge, drink 4- 1 liter bottles a day and your in the clear!
    Not to mention it helps make your skin look like its glowing, increases production of new cells and tissue, purifies the colon making it easier to absorb nutrients, balances your lymph system which helps your body fight infections. ALSO drinking at least 16oz of water every morning in helps with boosting your metabolism by 24% sorry for the rant :)
  • aimeebtn
    aimeebtn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It actually depends on the persons body type. It should be 8 to 10, 8oz glasses of water a day. If you drink to much of it you can was away some of the good nutrients and vitamins that your body needs and put yourself at risk.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I drink 17 8 oz cups a day on top of 3-5 cups of coffee and a couple diet sodas. Drink up!
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I drink between 60-80 oz per day with my filtered water bottle.
  • Erbs_n_spice_I_am_nice
    Options
    great advice thank you. I tend to drink about 64-108 when I work at the daycare...but at home it's a lot less
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I just began drinking water in the last few weeks and it has changed my life. No kidding. I'm getting at minimum 60-70 ounces a day.
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I drink about 8 cups a day, sometimes more, sometimes less but water is all I drink. Your body will tell you when its thirsty. I believe they have debunked the myth that you NEED to drink a minimum of 8 cups a day.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I can average about 96-128oz (when I am being really good) -- the benefits of drinking water are countless...
  • Laura_amie
    Laura_amie Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I just cant work with oz! haha. Must be a UK thing, maybe? I have 2-4 litres normally, depends on the day. You should be able to change the measurements you can use on the water intake section on here!
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Hahaha - I manage probably around 8 - 16 oz a day then...hahaha (yeah, probably only about half a litre).

I drank a lot of water before and swore by it and was convinced that it was helping my weight-loss, but I'm not less convinced.

I know I should drink more, but couldn't be bothered...
  • dga226
    dga226 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    i drink the water with carbonation in it hate plain water
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I drink like 16onz of water per day. About 8 onces of herbal tea and that's it. I only drink when i'm thirsty
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I average 72-96 oz M-F. I drink water all day at my desk at work. I don't do nearly as well on the weekends. It is mostly all I drink. I have 1 1/2 cups of coffee before work and a can of caffeine free diet coke with dinner.
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    8-8oz servings is a very big generalization and not necessarily accurate for all. There are a lot of things to consider, from size, health status, any medications, how active you are, the environment you live in, etc, etc etc. At least drink enough so that your urine is no darker than a light straw color.
  • MayFartDuringSquats
    Options
    I don't measure it at all. I regulate what goes in by what comes out or how I feel.
    If I drink too much I'll visit the bathroom all day (and sometimes are busting at the seems) with a clear fire hose stream - worse yet I have to get up 3 times at night - but not enough and I won't go, or when I do it's dark or weak. I can also feel it in my lips (I'm a guy so pretty much never use chap stick). If my lips are dry, or I feel sluggish and slow, then I know I'm dehydrated. As time goes on, you just get a sense for it. There is no rules about how much water to drink - it's all guidelines or by-the-by type comments (like my post).
    I pretty much only drink water and I carry around a drink bottle often - I will have some coffee with almond milk in the morning, and the occasional Almond milk at night with my vitamin ..... but Almond milk isn't much different than water IMHO.
    Yes, I drink alcohol etc, but it's not regular and that's another story.
    Also: I don't have prostate problems - it's different levels of hydration affecting "the flow".