Ideal Pre and Post Workout Food Choices For Maximum Fat Loss

Options
Chalene weighs in on... Pre and Post Workout Meals

Proper timing of your meals with your workouts can have a significant effect on your progress. Here’s the scoop on what the latest research is saying about pairing foods with workouts.

Ideal Pre and Post Workout Food Choices For Maximum Fat Loss

Pre Workout Meals
10-20 grams Protein, Approx 100-200 calories
• Whey Protein Shake
• Hard Boiled Egg
• High Protein Bar – 10-20g protein
• Cottage Cheese - Nonfat or Lowfat
• Low sugar yogurt (<12-15g sugar)
• Milk – Nonfat or 1%
Post Workout Meals
Higher Carbs, Med-High Protein, 200-500 calories
• Fruit Smoothie
• Banana or other high glycemic fruit
• Recovery Drink
• PB&J on whole grain bread
• Energy Bar – CLIF or Fiber One bars are good choices
• Whole wheat pasta with marinara and chicken breast

Protein Before, High Glycemic After
Maximize fat burning and weight loss by eating a little bit of protein before your workout, and then follow exercise with something higher on the glycemic index [link to article on glycemic index], like a banana or a smoothie.

Here’s the logic to back this up…

High Protein Before Your Workout
Your body needs enough fuel to carry you through your training session. This means that in the 1-2 hours before your workout, you need a protein kick, perhaps with a tiny bit of carbs. Have a very light meal, like a whey protein shake with 10-20 grams of protein. Don’t fill up, but have just enough to give you an energy boost…about 200 calories is ideal.

Protein and Amino Acids
Amino acids are the building blocks of protein and muscle tissue. All physiological processes relating to sport - energy, recovery, fat loss, muscle/strength gains, as well as mood and brain function - are tightly and critically linked to amino acids. Amino acids convert fat to energy at the cell’s energy source, the cell mitochondria. Free form amino acids also accelerate muscle tissue healing and growth. The result is faster muscle and strength gains, as well as enhanced recovery.

Protein is rich in amino acids and protein shakes, in particular, are a great source of free form amino acids with high bioavailability.

Carbs and Protein After Your Workout
Post-workout is the one time that high glycemic carbs are preferred. This term refers to carbs that are high on the glycemic index or higher in natural sugars. The glycemic index is a measure of how quickly a food raises blood sugar and hence, insulin levels. Normally, it is best to eat lower glycemic foods, so as not to initiate an insulin spike. But post-workout, the exact opposite is true. The elevated insulin levels will help to drive nutrients into the muscle cells. Don’t think this makes it ok to eat a candy bar! Go for fruit and other natural sources of dietary sugar.

The key is maximizing the window of opportunity that occurs immediately after exercise, when the muscle is especially receptive to nutrients and the blood flow to the exercised muscles remains high. The goal post workout is to restore muscle glycogen. The body will even break down muscle tissue for this purpose, if carbohydrates are not available. And, we don’t want to lose muscle! Muscle is our friend – muscle burns fat!

Replies

• kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    i love Chalene Johnson!! And this is helpful for me...so thank you!
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. Chalene always has great information!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I get so tired of reading this bull****. It's time to start putting some of these people in jail, just on general principles. This only makes sense if you are in the business of selling protein supplements.
  • jenstalder
    Options
    I get so tired of reading this bull****. It's time to start putting some of these people in jail, just on general principles. This only makes sense if you are in the business of selling protein supplements.

Just information that some people may need to know to start their journey into healthy eating.. isnt that why we are on this website...not sure what you are so upset about.

Knowledge helps everyone... you dont have to agree with everything.

I have learned things along my fitness journey and dont mind sharing thinks that make me feel better about myself or help me in my fitnes journey.
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options

I just read a book that had some similar ideas, but it was more about post- workout than pre-workout. There were recipes in the book for what the author called "anebolic" drinks for post-workout. What is wrong with this? I like to hear different opinions.
  • Azdak
    Options

Just information that some people may need to know to start their journey into healthy eating.. isnt that why we are on this website...not sure what you are so upset about.

Knowledge helps everyone... you dont have to agree with everything.

I have learned things along my fitness journey and dont mind sharing thinks that make me feel better about myself or help me in my fitnes journey.

I get upset because it is BAD information. People are entitled to their own opinions--they're not entitled to their own facts.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I can see why he may be upset. The first item on the list is whey protein powder. Which said person probably wants you to buy their product.

I assume, she assumes you are doing a high intensity workout. If I walk 2 miles on the treadmill @ 55-60%HR, I really don't need a post workout snack. Maybe some water.
  • Azdak
    Options
    I try to be more measured in my comments, but there are times when I can take only so much of the Cult of Protein Worship and I lose my temper.
  • jackeezqueen
    Options
    I basically had the same thoughts and questions about whey protein...can't you just eat some tuna, etc to get some protein into your body before or after you have a hard workout?? Whey protein is really pushed hard and come to think of it..what did everyone do before this came along? I personally get tired of buying it...although it is handy to have once in a while. Sometimes the experts make it seem like you can't build muscles without it...and that is where it gets annoying. I got a great book on weight lifting but the recipes were all about whey protein.....in almost every meal. Very annoying.
  • jenstalder
    Options
    I basically had the same thoughts and questions about whey protein...can't you just eat some tuna, etc to get some protein into your body before or after you have a hard workout?? Whey protein is really pushed hard and come to think of it..what did everyone do before this came along? I personally get tired of buying it...although it is handy to have once in a while. Sometimes the experts make it seem like you can't build muscles without it...and that is where it gets annoying. I got a great book on weight lifting but the recipes were all about whey protein.....in almost every meal. Very annoying.

I'd imagine the reason whey protein is so prominent in body building books is because 1. It's a complete protein 2. It's the fastest absorbing protein and 3. It can taste good, and is an easy way to add calories.
    This is why it's the most suggested type of whey for post workout (the quick absorption), breaking down food takes much longer than breaking down a whey shake.
    That being said, you don't need it if you don't need any extra protein, you can stick with regular foods as long as you're sure you're getting complete proteins (meat, soy, and mixing incomplete ones such as a PB sammich)