Need running advise.

Options
I have not ran since I was a little girl, but I really would like to start running. I don't get chances to run outside often, but I do get moments to go to the gym with my two small little ones.

Is there any tips or pointers on how I should start to learn how to run again? I have never ran on a treadmill, and I am a little nervous about it.

I also have about 65lbs I need to lose, and I understand running will probably be more difficult with the extra weight, but I really would like to try.

There is a 5k race next year in October called Run for your lives, that I want to train for. It has zombies that chase you, and I just thought that was amazing since I am a total zombie junkie.

Anyways all advise, and support would be very much appreciated.

Replies

• svanhoecke
    Options
    I was the same way! I hadn't run in a long time because of my knee problems but I worked up to it slowly. Here is what I did, but you can always modify to how it works for you:

First few weeks/months if you need it:
    Walk at a comfortable pace on the treadmill for 5 minutes, speed walk for 10-15, 5 minute cool down

Once you get comfortable speed walking, add some incline and add some extra time to your walk.

After a month or less if you are feeling up to it, add some spurts of running. Walk 5 minutes, run 1 minute (if you aren't a runner it will feel like eternity) and just go back and forth- walk/run/walk/run for a while.

Gradually increase the amount of time you run between your walking intervals. Eventually your running intervals will be longer than your walking ones, and then at some exciting point (I was super excited for this) you will be able to run for extended periods of time. The first time I ran a mile, I cried. No lie.

You can do this! :)

p.s. it's important to know what is "running" to you. For me, it started as only 4.0 on the treadmill. I have short legs and when I was just starting out, that was a pretty steady jog. Now I am up to 5.5 or 6. Do what's comfortable!
  • SuperMammaLeah
    SuperMammaLeah Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you I will give that a shot this week I think. On Monday and Wed I have Zumba class, but I feel that it isn't enough so now I would like to add running. I think I shall try this. How much of an incline do you suggest? I have short legs too.
  • SWilland
    SWilland Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I Would recommend checking into the couch 2 5k program. Couldn't hype it enough. I have asthma and never though I could run but this program made it possible. Just keep at it and remember your head will try to give up before your legs do. Push through it and you will succeed!
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is great! I've heard there is also a running an app that has zombies chase you.. since that's your thing you may want to look into that! :-) But don't let 65 extra pounds stop you! Just put your shoes on and get out there 3 days a week.. you'll be a runner in no time.. well 10 weeks :-)
  • SuperMammaLeah
    Options
    Thank you all for the motivation. I am going to try it this week. I may bring my kids out to the tennis court on Tuesday, and see if I can jog around it.
  • keirajl
    keirajl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I started running by following the Couch-to-5K. It worked well for me!!!
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I also enthusiastically suggest Couch to 5K!! I started it when I had about 90 lbs to lose, and was able to do it. I started the program the last week of February, finished at the end of April. And last night I ran my 10th 5K. It's definitely doable! Just take your time, repeat days/weeks if you need to, and get a great pair of running shoes!! And by great, I mean, go to a running store and get fitted. Having a great pair of running shoes will make a huge difference.
  • NavyWife8396
    NavyWife8396 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I also recommend c25k. Like you, I hadn't run in years but I started this summer and ran my first 5k ever on Oct. 13. You can do it!
  • don883
    don883 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Start out by getting properly fitted for shoes at a running specialty store. The time and cost will be worth it. There are a lot of C25K programs out there, choose one, and as you follow it, you'll be impressed by the improvements you make in both time and endurance.
  • NitroS1988
    NitroS1988 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Like most people have already mentioned, c25k is amazing and a great starting point for running. I could not manage 5 mins before without needing to stop and now can handle 45-50 mins at around 5-5.5mph.

Also the zombies app on the iphone is called Zombies, Run! it is really fun to do when your outdoors as there is a whole story you follow which is pretty cool and you can play your own music too..

Good luck fellow newbie runner :)
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My trainer says running is terrible for knees and feet. If you want to run, try the C25K program. I did that until I figured out that running on a treadmill is great and running on the street sucks! hahaha
  • SuperMammaLeah
    Options
    Can you do the C25k program with a treadmill? I don't get outside time often since I am looking after two little ones that like to run away from me in two different directions.

9464844.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I also recommend c25k! Made a runner out of me!

I never liked running, but for some reason last January, something in my head said I should try it (I think it was fear of falling off the workout wagon AGAIN through the summer months of vacation & travel), because I could run just about anywhere.

Finished the program in March and I'm still running. :bigsmile: And I like it! I've done all my running outside - sun, rain, wind, fog, humidity - all part of the fun. Ha! Okay, I hate running in the heat, so in summer I ran at dawn and witnessed the quiet of the morning and a bunch of beautiful sunrises!

I used a free app - c25kFREE by Zen Labs. Worked great, lets you use your own playlist if you want music, mutes the songs when it gives you the prompts for running, walking, cool down, etc. Don't worry about distance or speed with the program, just go as slowly as needed to complete each days time. A website/app combo where you can map out your route is helpful if you want to know the distance and track your pace - I used Runkeeper and it was very helpful.

Make sure your shoes are in good shape, be safe, and go for it! and look for a fun 5k race a couple of months from when you start that you can register for - it's a great motivator!
  • PattyC64
    PattyC64 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Another C25K graduate here! You'll also want to get fitted for shoes at a running store.
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    Like some have said, the C25K program seems to be awesome. I can't say much about it, I started running by myself and worked my self up. If you have a smart phone, I would recommend the iMapMyFitness app and use it strictly for running/walking purposes.
    When I started running, I couldn't go further than 1/4 a mile. Just work your way up, run as far as you can with out over "indulging" and add more each day.
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I did Carli's couch to 5k (google it). It's free. BUT - the first thing I did was start a walking program. I walked 6 days/week. Started with a half hour walk and built up to at least an hour. Once I could power walk for an hour a day, I began C25K. When I started walking, I had about 70 lbs to lose. I didn't start running until I had about 50 to lose. Now I've been running for about 4 months (3 miles/3 non-consecutive days per week) and have about 20 left to lose. I think the running helps burn cals & tone your whole body but it really is the calorie counting that makes you drop the lbs. Good luck! :D
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hey! Another fan of Couch to 5K here, although I still do running/walking intervals - because I've upped distance a lot, and am focusing on that rather than speed for now. I jog outside because I get too bored indoors, but you can definitely do c2 5K on a treadmill!

Also, not quite a year ago I asked runners what they wish they knew when they started. Here's the thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/422106-runners-what-do-you-wish-you-knew?

Have fun!!
  • deecapuano
    deecapuano Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I also heartily endorse the C25K program. I have had great success with it. I started running about 3 years ago and I go back to the program time and again to increase my pace. There are days that I still dislike running. I have never had that "Runners HIgh" that everyone talks about but I still run. I have done 4 5K races so far this year and my next one is in 2 weeks. The Ruckus Run 5K in Boston. This one is giving me a little anxiety but I will get through it.

I don't run in traditional running shoes either. I did for my first year and then I stopped running due to pain in my knees and hips. After a bit of research I found Vibrams Five Fingers and now I basically wear them when I run. They do take getting used to but I do not have pain when I run anymore. Yes people look at me strange because my shoes have toes but I just find that people are either curious or rude. The curious I talk to, the rude I ignore.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I did Carli's couch to 5k (google it). It's free. BUT - the first thing I did was start a walking program. I walked 6 days/week. Started with a half hour walk and built up to at least an hour. Once I could power walk for an hour a day, I began C25K. When I started walking, I had about 70 lbs to lose. I didn't start running until I had about 50 to lose. Now I've been running for about 4 months (3 miles/3 non-consecutive days per week) and have about 20 left to lose. I think the running helps burn cals & tone your whole body but it really is the calorie counting that makes you drop the lbs. Good luck! :D

This was me almost word for word, except I didn't switch to running until I had about 25lbs left to lose because it was too hard on my knees when I was heavier than that . I also built up so much endurance from walking (by cranking the speed and incline way up) that I was able to switch from walking right to running a full 5km. right off the bat.
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    I have not ran since I was a little girl, but I really would like to start running. I don't get chances to run outside often, but I do get moments to go to the gym with my two small little ones.

Is there any tips or pointers on how I should start to learn how to run again? I have never ran on a treadmill, and I am a little nervous about it.

I also have about 65lbs I need to lose, and I understand running will probably be more difficult with the extra weight, but I really would like to try.

There is a 5k race next year in October called Run for your lives, that I want to train for. It has zombies that chase you, and I just thought that was amazing since I am a total zombie junkie.

Anyways all advise, and support would be very much appreciated.

that is easy..pretend they are real! then your adrenaline will take over and you will outrun everyone!