Casting troubles upon the water.

Options
WARNING - Unlike most of my posts, this one is a serious downer. Please, please, PLEASE do not read this if a sad situation that is without remedy will make your day worse.

In my religion, there is a service where one walks down to a running body of water such as a lake or a stream, and symbolically cast one's sins from the previous year into the water, to be carried away before the start of the new year. I consider this message board to be a form of that practice-- a place where I can cast my troubles into the vast void that is the internet, and walk away from the computer with a lighter burden.

I have a sister who lives half way across the country. She is 12 years older than me. Her husband of 27 years died in December of 2010. They did not have children. She has faced and survived several very serious health issues in the past two years (diabetes, cancer, heart, etc.). She is somewhere in the middle of a downward health spiral that, whether in weeks, months, or years is likely to leave her unable to care for herself or dead. That is simply the reality of her multiple health problems.

I have offered to move her to live closer to where I am so that we (my wife and I) can take care of her. She refused, wanting to stay in her own neighborhood in her own state with her own doctors. I understand all that. I understand that she is terrified. I understand that she feels alone. I understand that she is in chronic and sometimes severe pain. I wish I could make things better for her, and I have both done and tried to do several things to help her quality of life. But I am not a physician. I can't fix what is wrong with her.

Here's the part that troubles me. When she gets to feeling particularly angry, afraid, sick or alone, she sometimes lashes out at me in anger that is misdirected at me. An example. She has pulmonary issues. Her doctors told her that exercising in a controlled, monitored environment instead of sitting sedentary in her house would be good for her physically. She found a pulmonary exercise support group affiliated with a local hospital in her area. She loved visiting with the patients and therapists there and enjoyed working out there to the extent she could. But she stopped going because it cost money. I told her I would pay for it. She said she'd think about it. In two more telephone conversations, I reminded her of the fact that her physicians said that the exercise would help her. Her response was, "You don't know what I'm going through. I'm older than you and I am in worse physical condition than you are. In all the years you let yourself get so fat, I didn't push you to exercise or stop eating so badly once. Why are you constantly on me about exercising?"

I told her it was because even though *I* might not be as old as her or in as bad of health as her, her own physicians strongly recommended that she do what I was offering to pay for because it would help her. She told me that she didn't need me to be pressuring her.

This sort of thing has happened on several occasions, such as her need to have a medical power of attorney, to redo her will, to make arrangements (both temporary during times of illness and permanent in case she passes) for her three cats. And on each occasion, she lashes out and accuses me for "pushing her."

I wish I could drop everything and be there to help her, but I have a law practice and a family of my own to take care of. I wish I could put on invisible ear plugs and not hear or take to heart the hurtful things that she says out of pain, fear, terror or alone-ness. Instead, periodically, I tell her that I just can't take her attacks and can't talk to her right then because I am too angry and don't want to say something we would both regret. And that starts periods of hours, days or even weeks where we don't talk at all. It's not that I wouldn't talk to her. It's just that I have no desire to pick up the phone and try to be helpful only to end up verbally assaulted. Those instances are very, very disruptive to me, since I am trying very hard to surround myself with positive messages, positive energy and positive people to help me with my weight situation.

I know that there is no magic answer to make this situation right. I just know that right now, I am hurting. But instead of wallowing in ice cream and pizza, or put myself into an anxiety attack or bout of rage, I will simply get dressed, put on my walking shoes, and dissapate the well of hurt that I know can't be fixed.

Thank you for listening. I'm sorry to be a drag on your day.

Replies

• oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    <3<3<3
  • Spiritwarrior3000
    Spiritwarrior3000 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    This sounds like wicca or maybe Buddism
  • Nana920
    Nana920 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry that your sister has these problems and that you are hurting. In my experience, we all lash out at the ones that we love the most when we are hurting. I don't know why....
    Keep reminding yourself that you offered the help and she chose not to accept it at this time. She probably feels guilty.
    Hugs to you.
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    This sounds like wicca or maybe Buddism

It's actually Judiasm, which is the foundation (Old Testament) for much of Christianity.
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, friend. I think you are doing all that you can do. At this point I am sure she knows that you are willing to do anything you can to help. Keep taking care of yourself. Hugs...
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    I am a single mother and have been for over 20 years. My x (children' father) left our home when I was pregnant with our second child. My brother lives in the next town (less than 15 minutes away) NOT ONLY HAS HE NEVER HELPED ME...HE NEVER CALLED ME and readily left his own two children with me so he could "play"

During a time when a law suit was leveled at me rather than help me he went and played golf with the Attorney handling the suit agains me and my children.

My brother is a selfish coward.

I wish I had a brother like you.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I am praying for your sister and for you. I do not mean this as a mere expression of sympathy. I will do it. Promise.
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I never realized how much pain affected me until after it was gone when I was having major issues with my back. I, like your sister, would lash out at the people that cared about me and were just trying to help with their suggestions. I've issued many apologies since I resolved my issues. In your sisters case the only thing I could suggest is that you tell her that you're only going to mention this one last time - make your offer(s) and then let it go - tell her that if she ever wants to take you up on your offer(s) you'll be there for her but otherwise you arent mentioning it again - then just be the brother she needs - I know it's incredibly difficult to not try to fix things for her but she sounds to me like she's not in a good place to accept the help. The only other thing I'd say - pray about it - as I will. Love & Luck
  • kramalicious
    Options
    There is only so much you can do to help people. Maybe if you write her a long letter, expressing your feelings and what you are offering her, it would make you feel better. Whether you mail it to her is up to you. (don't email).
    If you are willing to pay for the class for her, send her a check with what money you want to contribute, and tell her it's to pay for the workout series.
    That's really all you can do. If she can't pull it together enough to take that step there is nothing else you can do.
    Don't get caught up in the guilt of it. You have your own life to take care of.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    My family and friends love me and I love them too. They can want and wish for me all the happiness, good health and all the positive well being in the world, the same as I do for them. BUT what we cant do for eachother is make the other person do the things we may want them too because we know what is best for them.

I would bet your sister knows what is best and is either too scared to make a change so chooses to stay in denial, is depressed wrongly believing its too late and therefore unable to take the steps to make changes even if she does believe they are the right things to do, or isnt ready yet and thinks she will have time forever to get ready which isnt true unfortunately time runs out for us all eventually.

I guess you can gently keep telling her you love her and care and keep letting her know your offer is on the table as long as you are able to provide her with it, and then dont harp on it, she hopefully will come around for her own good.

No one who loved me could wish or will me to take corrective action on my own weightloss or diabetes and they surely could not do the required work of healthful eating and exercise for me, that was needed to get me back to a place balance and fitness in my life.

To be honest, I was in the place your sister is, I was in denial out of fear of change I didnt believe I had it in me to do it, I also was depressed thinking it was too late for me to do anything about it, and I also still felt this childlike invincible attitute that okay tomorrow I will start (restart) and it never really dawned on me that time was running out, I felt I truly had one more day, all the time in the world.

It wasnt until I faced a near life altering event that could of destroyed any hope I had of changing ever again, that I decided to do it for myself, I wanted it for myself, I had a huge wakeup call with temporary diabetes neuropathy in my hands, arms and feet (this is insanely painful 24/7 and is enough to make one go mad). I was blessed with a second chance. Diet, Exercise and keeping Glucose in strict control is paramount and urgently the key to her getting better and over even being depressed asap.

I pray your sister indeed has a wakeup call without any lasting damage so she too can learn to embrace change and learn to love herself and life again to its fullest.

Good Luck and God Bless you and yours.
  • plmtrprsn
    plmtrprsn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    MR. TFT, you are the most open person I have ever "met"! I hope that casting your troubles on these waters brings you some peace. Maybe you should ask your sister what she needs from you instead of trying to fix what you think needs to be fixed. It may be the best solution for you both.

Hugs!
  • slleader
    slleader Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am in total agreement with whomever posted we lash out at those we love the most, and are closest to. I am so sorry that in this case this is you. You are a great guy and seem to be a great brother! Just remember you can't help those who are unwilling to help themselves.

Best of luck and God Bless!!
  • Faericn_Rising
    Options
    Hey man.... I am really, really sad , to hear you are feeling so badly. Some people just know no other way, than to be in their hole, painful as it may be, because they have not known anything else.

And, even if there is a way to get free, you can lead a horse to water, but you cant make them drink.

I went through and will continue to go through this type of situation with a member of my family, and their alcoholism. it is a horrid thing, to be lashed out at, especially when you are trying to help, and moreover, to save their life.

I really, feel your pain. You seem like such a wonderful person. and its sad that those are always the ones who get hurt the most.

I feel like there is so much more i want to say, but i dont know how. But know im over here, sending white light your way.

And, above all, i am so, so, so, proud of you, for putting on the shoes, instead of the lobster bib. Thats a very difficult thing.

Good for you.

I hope you feel better soon. Mail me anytime.

-K
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I'm so pleased to have you as my friend. Thank you.

I feel for you and the helplessness you have. My mother was in a different state and had years of health problems. I am sad to say that the difficulty of managing from far away, with the challenges of not-so-appreciative communications, and significant cognitive losses, well it was hard.

You are a wonderful brother. I have no advice, just a four letter word in brackets: {{{{{{hugs}}}}}}

And I really appreciate learning about "casting troubles upon the water". It sounded Baptist to me, and now I'm singing a song in my head from my faith tradition, and deeply grateful for a glimpse into yours. My solemn wish for you is that our little watery community will be a relief for you with these troubles.
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    HERE is where you find your support.

HERE is where you demostrate your ability to rise above the troubles, and take care of yourself, so you can take care of others.

I am proud of you my friend. You are taking care of you, your family, and your extended family in the best way you can.

Live each day new, and end each day knowing you done good.

We've got your back, and big ears to boot.

((hugs))
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    Always remember that older sisters know how to push your buttons and upset you as no one else can....
    I think you are aware that she is lashing out in pain and fear.....
    Take a deep breath and a time out when you need it....
    Keep in mind the terrible limitations we face when trying to help someone who rejects our help....
    and continue to be there for her....

We are all with you on this.... send messages and vent when you need to...
  • cgale8
    cgale8 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I like your "casting troubles upon the water", the act of writing things out is most cathartic for yourself and doing so in on this forum helps you to not only vent but also gain support from others.

Your sister has many things going on in her life. She is experiencing things that she cannot control and her fear is driving her lashing out at you. There is absolutely nothing you can do that you haven't already done. She will eventually come around to where she was but she is deep in caverns of grief - the first stage being anger. This is apparent even in her blaming you for not being sick even though you have not taken care of yourself over the years. This is a very normal response to the things that are happening to her. Unfortunately you are her brother and you want to help her. The best thing to do now is to listen and let her vent, be her soft place to land whether she acknowledges it or not. But also continue to take care of yourself and not allow her negativity to infiltrate your life and in turn sabatoge the good that you are doing for yourself currently.

It is a difficult situation but you can only do what she will allow you to.
  • SuziQueue
    SuziQueue Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It is obvious that your post was to alleviate some of this emotional burden and you didn't ask for solutions, but I have a thought. Perhaps a sweet surprise may soften your sister and remind her you love her and want the best for her. Something like a pretty flower arrangement delivered to her door out of the blue, or a similar gift, might bring her around.

Praying for you both
  • Ldysw357
    Ldysw357 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like she is also battling some pretty serious depression and likely could use some counseling, perhaps some family counseling would help as well. In the meantime, all you can do is what you've been doing and be there for her, but understand that she has to make the choices, you can't do it for her or make her want to; that has to come from within, but I fear that without some sort of counseling she won't do that. Sending prayers to you and your family <3
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Your post was not a downer at all. You shared your troubles, and in so, we all benefit, as many of us have had similar experiences with families ... either as those who lash out in pain and anguish and shame, or those who are the recipients of the lashings.

There's no one thing anyone can say or do that can be the splendid cureall for how you feel, but only the knowledge that you have done the right thing, and are clearly committed to doing the right thing going forward. I hope your sister knows what an amazing brother she has.

I will give one suggestion, based on my own experience: During the summer, my husband had to have major emergency surgery. We don't have any relatives where we live, so the caretaking was all mine, as well as holding down my job and making sure all aspects of our life didn't fall apart (paying bills, grocery shopping, cooking, etc.). When people said "let me know if I can do anything for you," I was never able to think of a thing. When I could think of a thing, I felt I lacked the right to ask. One person at work was wise enough to recognize what I was feeling, and so came into work one day with a complete cooked dinner for myself and my husband (lasagne, salad, dressing, dessert) in a shopping bag. It was exactly what we needed. If she had ASKED if she could do it, I would have said NO.

Someone suggested you just send her a check. I agree - just do it. Don't wait for permission or ask. Tell her you love her and want her to have as long and as healthy a life as possible.

Hope this helps!