Eating 1200 calories.... too low??

Options
People on here are constantly saying that 1200 calories per day is too low. After dieting unsuccessfully for so many years I wanted to do it the 'proper way' and eat healthy and exercise to lose weight rather than diet. I had thought that 1200 calories was an okay amount to eat and that going below that was unhealthy.

I eat around 1200 calories per day and have been doing this since May. One month, I think it was August, I ate less than that but that was because it was Ramadan and I was fasting. I exercise 5-6 days per week usually and I can honestly say that I do not feel hungry at all with the amount I'm eating.

I haven't binged so far and only have had one real 'cheat day' (after 4 months), when I ate around 1600 calories. This works for me; eating more than I am currently would just make things very difficult for me as I sometimes struggle getting 3 meals into my day.

I'm really petite (under all my fat!), so I don't think I need as many calories as others. I'm only 5'2'' tall and have a very small frame. Eating this amount I'm losing around 4-5 lbs per month which really isn't super fast weight loss at all. One month I lost just 3 lbs. If I were to eat more than 1200 calories, I wonder if I'd lose any weight at all and also like I say I don't feel hungry at all eating the amount I am. I had planned on increasing it if I felt like it was too less for me; the last thing I want to do is end each day hungry.

So is it unhealthy to eat this amount? Should I increase it right away? What are your thoughts?

Replies

• jackjamma
    jackjamma Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    As long as your providing your body with a sufficient amount of minerals,vitamins and nutrients and you feel healthy you should be fine.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I would bet that you're eating under your BMR and eventually your weight loss will stop completely. Spend some time finding out what your BMR is and then eat 100 to 200 calories over it. I'm 5'2", 55 yrs old and 115 lbs and my BMR is 1194 so yours has got to be more than that.