Lunch ideas

Options
I need ideas for what to take for my lunch. I get bored with same old thing. Things to keep in mind are:

1. No access to microwave... usually eat in my car

2. I have a large thermos that keeps foods hot long enough to have for lunch

3. I need to have at least 15 g of protein for my lunch meal.

Anyone have any ideas?? So far I've been bringing a small cooler and taking cottage cheese, yogurt, soup, and wraps.

Replies

• rachgleeson
    rachgleeson Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    what about chicken and rice? pasta and tuna, you can either have these hot or cold
  • Brewster1215
    Brewster1215 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Lunch is going to be a real challenge for me. I'm so used to getting a burrito off the roach coach every day.
  • wikpix
    wikpix Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i often cook a little extra meat/chicken when I am making dinner so I can use it for my lunch the next day.

boiled egg and salad

also a wrap with roast beef, fetta, baked sweet potato, sprouts and a few olive is one of my favourites.
  • BubblySharon
    BubblySharon Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions so far! Keep them coming :)
  • BubblySharon
    Options
    Lunch is going to be a real challenge for me. I'm so used to getting a burrito off the roach coach every day.
    Exactly... I used to just drive to Tim Hortons and grab a sandwich there or something... not easy to stay away from eating out.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Exactly... I used to just drive to Tim Hortons and grab a sandwich there or something... not easy to stay away from eating out.

Tim Hortons is actually NOT that bad if you stay away from the baked goods. So if you had to get something, that would be a good choice to head to. Not every day mind you... but it's not the end of the world. Just look up the calories and decide on your order ahead of time.
  • barbiek999
    barbiek999 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    i often cook a little extra meat/chicken when I am making dinner so I can use it for my lunch the next day.

This works brilliantly for me too. I make extras of the whole dinner and then have it the next day at lunch: chicken/fish/meat and veggies too :)
  • jensweighingin
    jensweighingin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I like a big salad--I usually do a buffalo chicken, southwest chcken (chicken, black beans, light ranch dressing), chicken and pecans, tuna and olive. I also like a low carb burrito wrapper with hummus and veggies on it. Apple wedges with peanut butter and a yogurt. Chicken salad, egg salad, or tuna salad and crackers with a small salad. I also make a mediterranean pasta or rice that I can do cold--I use olive oil vinagrette with some feta and olives in it. Yum!
  • BubblySharon
    Options

Tim Hortons is actually NOT that bad if you stay away from the baked goods. So if you had to get something, that would be a good choice to head to. Not every day mind you... but it's not the end of the world. Just look up the calories and decide on your order ahead of time.
    Very true... I just don't like the sodium content either... my ankles tend to swell, so I try to keep my sodium down :)
  • maddiec1989
    maddiec1989 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I love garden salads with either chicken or tuna, some feta cheese and a little dressing on the side.
    & whenever I make tacos for dinner, the next day I always pack a taco salad with the leftovers... which is basically just a garden salad with seasoned ground beef, shredded cheese, some crushed up tostitos and salad dressing (i use calorie-wise catalina)
  • nubiennelady
    nubiennelady Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    1. Ground turkey made with taco seasoning, low carb tortilla, lettuce, and salsa.
    2. Spicy Shrimp Chili - Chili Powder, Canned Diced Tomatoes, Diced Green Chiles, Spicy Chili Beans (no meat) with 1 pound of shrimp. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and shrink. Have that over some brown rice and with vegetable of choice.
    3. Mediterranean Hummus Pockets - Hummus (Flavor of Choice), Slices Tomatoes, Sliced Cucumber, Romaine Lettuce Leaves, Kalmatta Olives and a Bit of Feta Stuffed into a Pita Pocket. (Pack the filling separately; add grilled chicken strips for more protein).
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I often bring egg salad and a side of grape tomatoes with bolthouse yogurt dressing.
  • iheartredsox80
    iheartredsox80 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you like tuna, Starkist has these pouches that have flavored tuna called Tuna Creations I personally like the Zesty Lemon Pepper. If you eat the whole pouch its about 150 calories and good protein. I usually top it on Spring mix salad and keeps me full til midday snack and sometimes dinner.
  • BubblySharon
    Options
    If you like tuna, Starkist has these pouches that have flavored tuna called Tuna Creations I personally like the Zesty Lemon Pepper. If you eat the whole pouch its about 150 calories and good protein. I usually top it on Spring mix salad and keeps me full til midday snack and sometimes dinner.
    I do like tuna... that's something I'll have to try. Low cal lunch is always a bonus :)
  • BubblySharon
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the wonderful ideas!! :) I will have to try them out!
  • Ginerrva
    Ginerrva Posts: 226
    Options
    Cereal or granola with yogurt. Although that's not for everyone.

Sometimes I make a stirfry and put it in a thermos =]
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    small tin of flavored tuna (85g), a cpl Ryvita or Wasa crackers, half and avacado and a peice of fruit. thats my lunch almost everyday. lol
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    ooh and pickled eggs. i eat too many of them! lol
  • BubblySharon
    Options
    ooh and pickled eggs. i eat too many of them! lol
    lol pickled eggs rock!! But I have to be careful of the yolks... used to have high cholesterol and don't want it to spike again! :)