Flavored Homemade Greek Yogurt--who makes their own

Options
tamba01
tamba01 Posts: 110 Member
I have been making my own greek yogurt for several months now. I am wanting to add more flavors but not sure at what point in the process I should add flavoring to it. Does anybody else do this?

Replies

• tamba01
    Options
    i
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    How do you make it? Sorry I can't answer your question.
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to answer your question either. I saw this and was interested i how you make it :blushing:
  • tamba01
    Options
    that's ok. It's actually real easy and cheap. Buy a gallon of milk, heat it up to 180*, then let it cool to around 110-120*, then add 2 tblsp of yogurt that has "live active cultures" then sit it in a warm area to keep it around 110*. I put it in my oven with the oven off and the light on and it does good. Then let it sit overnight and then it's done with making it, you just need to strain off the whey, I use a flour sack towel in a strainer. I just let that set for a few hours and done. The actual prep for it is 20 mins, the rest of the time is just letting it set. I hope that makes sense.
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Years ago I tried the same and found out by trial and error that Raw Kiwi , pineapple was a disaster, it curdled I guess due to enzymes/acidity. Apple only worked for me if I lighly cooked chopped peeled apple. I also tinkered with adding cocoa and instant coffee, cinnamon/brown sugar, pure vanilla extract. For the most part I just make plain yogurt as I can always add chopped fruit or applesauce or homemade fruitjam to it or I can use the plain yogurt for a savory dip. I am sure you can google some recipes for fruit yogurt though.... :smile:
  • tamba01
    Options
    I forgot to say that you can use any type .of milk ..skim, 1%, 2%, etc. From one gallon of milk it will make approx 5-6 cups of greek yogurt (after it's strained) and the rest is a yellowish colored liquid that drains off of it that is call whey. It's alot cheaper than buying it
  • tamba01
    Options
    Years ago I tried the same and found out by trial and error that Raw Kiwi , pineapple was a disaster, it curdled I guess due to enzymes/acidity. Apple only worked for me if I lighly cooked chopped peeled apple. I also tinkered with adding cocoa and instant coffee, cinnamon/brown sugar, pure vanilla extract. For the most part I just make plain yogurt as I can always add chopped fruit or applesauce or homemade fruitjam to it or I can use the plain yogurt for a savory dip. I am sure you can google some recipes for fruit yogurt though.... :smile:
    glad you told me about your trials, I was thinking pineapple would be good too, but will pass on it now :)
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    that's ok. It's actually real easy and cheap. Buy a gallon of milk, heat it up to 180*, then let it cool to around 110-120*, then add 2 tblsp of yogurt that has "live active cultures" then sit it in a warm area to keep it around 110*. I put it in my oven with the oven off and the light on and it does good. Then let it sit overnight and then it's done with making it, you just need to strain off the whey, I use a flour sack towel in a strainer. I just let that set for a few hours and done. The actual prep for it is 20 mins, the rest of the time is just letting it set. I hope that makes sense.

Thank you! That actually does sound pretty easy and inexpensive :flowerforyou:
  • hyphenbobbit
    hyphenbobbit Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Don't know if it helps anyone but I used to make it using a thermos. Just a couple of spoonfuls of yoghurt, pour on warm milk and leave overnight. Reading this post has reminded me how easy it was and that I should do it again. ps. slightly pureed fruit (strawberries, mandarin etc) added just before eating used to work well for me:smile:
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Add your favors just before you eat it if you are using RAW fruit otherwise you will get some strange reactions. If you are using extracts for flavoring then it can be added after it is strained otherwise you will lose flavor when you remove the whey.
    Any of the unsweetened all fruit jams work well as add ins but I always liked to make a batch and then pick the flavor of the day depending on what was on hand. Coco, honey, coffee granules are good add ins as are nut butters and diced fresh fruit.

For those starting out in the homemade yogurt biz remember to save a bit of your last batch to act as the starter for the next batch. The longer you keep the culture going the more distinctive the flavor will become - some true Greek and Turkish yogurt cultures have been in continuous use for hundreds of years. It's part of what gives them the sharpness that is so different from unflavored regular yogurt.

If you double drain you cultured milk - as in squeeze it out or press it in the cheese cloth after it has drained over night you will get a nice farmers style soft cheese that is good plain but can also be mixed with herbs and garlic to use as a spread.

Do not forget to use the whey - it still has a lot of good nutrition in it and can be used to make ricotta cheese. It is good in soups or as the liquid in yeast or quick breads.
  • tamba01
    Options
    If you double drain you cultured milk - as in squeeze it out or press it in the cheese cloth after it has drained over night you will get a nice farmers style soft cheese that is good plain but can also be mixed with herbs and garlic to use as a spread.

Do not forget to use the whey - it still has a lot of good nutrition in it and can be used to make ricotta cheese. It is good in soups or as the liquid in yeast or quick breads.
    2hobbit1:smile:
    Thank you so much for your info. That really helps me I was wondering though about the cheesecloth. I tried the cheesecloth and it seem to let too much yogurt through it. I use flour sack towel and it works great, but wondered what I was doing wrong with the cheesecloth? Also, I do love draining it to a soft cheese, it is so good :) I didn't realize that you should keep the culture going. I usually just use whatever yogurt I have on hand, but will now start saving some from my batch to use the next time.
  • tamba01
    Options
    Don't know if it helps anyone but I used to make it using a thermos. Just a couple of spoonfuls of yoghurt, pour on warm milk and leave overnight.
    Thank you, you have great ideas. I will be trying the thermos...love that idea
  • mspris2u
    mspris2u Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    bumping so I can try this!
  • tamba01
    Options
    bumping so I can try this!
    mspris2u.. If you have questions, this seems to be a great place to ask. I've been making my own for months and just learned alot today from others :)
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options

2hobbit1:smile:
    Thank you so much for your info. That really helps me I was wondering though about the cheesecloth. I tried the cheesecloth and it seem to let too much yogurt through it. I use flour sack towel and it works great, but wondered what I was doing wrong with the cheesecloth? Also, I do love draining it to a soft cheese, it is so good :) I didn't realize that you should keep the culture going. I usually just use whatever yogurt I have on hand, but will now start saving some from my batch to use the next time.

If you use cheese cloth you will need to use multiple layers so you get a clothlike texture. You can always put a paper towel in the cheese cloth first to help trap more of the solids - I have used just paper towels or even a a closeweave kitchen towel in place of cheese cloth if I did not have it handy.
  • tamba01
    Options
    Don't know if it helps anyone but I used to make it using a thermos. Just a couple of spoonfuls of yoghurt, pour on warm milk and leave overnight. Reading this post has reminded me how easy it was and that I should do it again. ps. slightly pureed fruit (strawberries, mandarin etc) added just before eating used to work well for me:smile:
    I tried this two days ago and wow, this is my new way of making yogurt, thank you for the suggestion, I'm loving using the thermos. The one I have holds 1/2 gallon (it's supposed to be for cold water) and I can make alot at one time. Thanks again.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    So, do you bring the milk to 180F then down to 110-120 and add it to the culture in the thermos?

ETA: I know Astro plain was live culture. Is most Greek yogourt still live culture?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    OP: I like to just make plain greek yogurt and then add a small bit of raw honey, chipped nuts and berries when I get ready to eat it. I never liked that goopy mess when they added the fruit (which looks like jelly) in the store bought stuff.

I make greek yogurt in the crockpot..............super easy.

Ingredients:

1 Gallon) of raw milk (I use whole, raw milk).........any kind of milk can be used EXCEPT for ULTRA PASTEURIZED
    1 Cup store-bought natural plain yogurt. (I used 1 small cup of Fage greek yogurt plain, full fat for starter and then save a bit of your own for a next starter)

1. Add the milk to your crockpot and heat on low for 2 /12 hours.

2. Using a thermometer, check the temperature of the milk, when it reaches 180 degrees, turn off crockpot, remove the lid and let it sit for about an hour or so. Allow the temp of the milk to decrease to between 105-110 degrees.

3. When the milk has reached that temp, scoop out 1 to 2 cups of the warmish milk and whisk in 1 cup of store-bought yogurt. Then pour the mixture back into the crock pot. Wisk to combine.

4. Put the lid back on your crock pot, wrap a heavy bath towel around the crock for insulation, and place in the oven with the oven light ON.

5. Leave the yogurt undisturbed for 7 or 8 hours, or overnight.

6. In the morning, carefully take the crock out, unwrap it and remove the lid, and check to see whether the milk has turned to yogurt.

(If your batch isn’t quite thickened, return it to the oven and check on it again in an hour.)

7. Now here’s the part that makes it GREEK yogurt: refrigerate the yogurt for at least three hours to allow it to completely cool and thicken. Line a large strainer with four layers of damp cheesecloth and put inside a bowl. Pour the yogurt in; refrigerate for one hour. Pour out the liquid that has accumulated in the bottom of the bowl; this is the whey. Return the bowl to the refrigerator for one more hour, strain the liquid again and the yogurt should now look thick and creamy.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!
  • tamba01
    Options
    You do put the live cultures in the mix when it has COOLED DOWN. I think that its over 125* that KILLS the culture, so let if cool down first and then add the culture. After you add the culture then put in warm place to sit. I don't have a light in my oven now, that is why the thermos worked so great. Most greek yogurts should have live active cultures, but it will say on the container, if you don't see it at first, look at and by the ingredients list, it should be there too.