Starving after running outdoors

Options
Does anyone else get really really hungry after running outdoors?

Last week after a 5k I was starving and couldn't eat enough. Today I went out and ran 2.5 miles and am starving again. This time through I went out and bought some baby carrots and fat free ranch so at least I can pig out low cal style :)

I tried the Greek yogurt for protein but that didn't help.

Anyone else solve this problem?

Replies

• Jaegur
    Jaegur Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I used to have this after biking, people told me to drink milk, preferably chocolate milk.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Quite the opposite - running staves my appetite for a few hours afterwards. In fact pretty much anything cardio.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I'm always starving after any hard workout. I don't run anymore, but when I did, a beer and hot dog always helped. It's not as bad with my cycling now as I it is easier for me to keep fuel handy on long rides.
  • mpampolim
    Options
    I read somewhere that we should eat cottage cheese with fruit after workout. It gives your body protein and carbohydrates for post-exercise muscle recovery and low-fat cottage cheese gives you a nutrient-rich snack that's low in saturated fat.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you have a BIG glass of water first in case you are a little dehydrated
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I normally run before breakfast so I expect to be hungry; for my longer Sunday runs I'll normally have something to eat and head out a couple of hours later but I'm usually starved when I get home (for guilt free breakfast # 2)
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else get really really hungry after running outdoors?

Last week after a 5k I was starving and couldn't eat enough. Today I went out and ran 2.5 miles and am starving again. This time through I went out and bought some baby carrots and fat free ranch so at least I can pig out low cal style :)

I tried the Greek yogurt for protein but that didn't help.

Anyone else solve this problem?

I find that I have to eat the protein right away - - not just within the hour, but before I even change out of my sweaty clothes. I've also gone to having a protein drink (even tho I promised myself not to use supplements rather than "real" food) but that's the only way I've found to stave off the after burn hunger (indoors or out!).
  • slrea2012
    slrea2012 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    When I first started running, it seemed as though my appetite was off the charts. I learned to keep lots healthy snacks handy - like plain almonds. Also, watch your water intake. It could be that your mistaking thirst for hunger. I found that if I drink 16oz of water right after I run, I'm less likely to indulge in extra calories.
  • michelelash
    michelelash Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    After a cardio workout you want carbs to replenish your muscle glycogen stores. You can have protein too, but carbs are essential to replace the fuel source you just used and to make your next run even better. I usually have chocolate soy milk immediately after I'm done to keep myself from getting too hungry, then I try to eat as soon as possible - especially for longer workouts (90+ minutes). Try to eat within the hour when your body is primed for replacing glycogen instead of storing those calories as fat. Eat and drink well!
  • KALMdown
    KALMdown Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I get like that after a heavy swim workout. Oh, who am I kidding, I get like that after any heavy workout.