Stress and Weight Loss

Options
When I stick to my calorie and exercise goals and am diligent in my tracking, I usually get results. But I've been going through a great deal in my personal life that I would rather not disclose here, and as a result, my stress is through the roof. Because of that, my weight loss has pretty much stalled. I'm going to keep at it and work harder to see if I can get past this plateau, but the fact that I'm going through this made me think about how stress and weight loss are connected.

Has stress had a large impact on your weight loss? Have you ever plateaued, or worse gained, primarily because of stress-related issues?

Replies

• ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I lost alot of weight due to stress.
  • Goddessmaker1
    Goddessmaker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am one of those that when stress is at a all time high I stall. My body is like yea no. I lose all desire to workout and eating right is out the window. I may not eat at all or I eat comfort crap. I know it's easier said than done but get to the bottom of your stress and remove it if it's possible. You are important so you got to keep stress at a low.
  • chcltroses
    Options
    with me it depends on what i'm stressing about. if i'm stressing about my kids, i usually wont eat. The weight just falls off then. Stress is something that can cause me to lose or gain weight. I hate to gain it, but if i didn't stress so much i think i could maintain a steady weight loss.

i need to find a different way of dealing with my stress.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I have noticed this recently as well. I think when we become stressed, we naturally "lighten the load" in other areas of our lives - unfortunately, most of the time I believe weight loss and healthy eating is the first to go.

When i become stressed, i do not "pre make" healthy foods anymore, and i don't bother to go to the store to restock as often as i should and exercise - there becomes "no time".

Though this journey is not easy, it is good to "let go" once in awhile. What i mean by that is eat at maintenance. Exercise is known to reduce stress as well.
  • GomesDavid
    Options
    When I stick to my calorie and exercise goals and am diligent in my tracking, I usually get results. But I've been going through a great deal in my personal life that I would rather not disclose here, and as a result, my stress is through the roof. Because of that, my weight loss has pretty much stalled. I'm going to keep at it and work harder to see if I can get past this plateau, but the fact that I'm going through this made me think about how stress and weight loss are connected.

Has stress had a large impact on your weight loss? Have you ever plateaued, or worse gained, primarily because of stress-related issues?

If you want to get rid of some weight, you need to manage your stress. When we’re stressed, our bodies hoard calories to help protect itself. You might realize that the panic will be short-lived, but the body has its own response. :flowerforyou:
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I usually gain when I'm stressed out. I'm assuming because food is comforting.