Need advice - What to do about my weight (123lbs)

Options
So I just celebrated my 200th day IN A ROW on myfitness pal - yayy! I completely owe all of my weight loss success to the myfitnesspal app for making it so easy to track my food and make better choices.
So when I began MFP I weighed 162 lbs.. and today I am down to 123 lbs.
I'm really beginning to love the way my body looks and couldn't imagine gaining back any of the weight.. but here is where the problem is. I haven't had my period since March. There was one month where I bled for like a day.. but that was it.
At first I attributed my lack of menstrual cycle to my radically changed eating habits (I started out doing the 1200 thing for two months.. then decided I hated it and upped my calories). And now I'm sure it is because of my low body fat percentage (calculated at 14.8% using http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/). I also thought that perhaps it was because I wasn't eating enough fat in my diet (months ago I was only eating between 15-25 grams a day -- but now I average double that). I typically eat between 1500-1600 calories a day now.. and I'm think about bringing that up a bit (just because I'm no longer really trying to lose weight).
So basically my questions are.. how much do you think I should be eating? What can I do to get my menstrual cycle back? And what do you think of my numbers? Also, I know I can google it -- but what negative health factors do I face because of a low BF% and no menstrual cycle?
It's easy for me to give advice to others.. but really hard to be objective about my own habits.
Please help - any feedback is so greatly appreciated.

In case you're wondering..
I'm 5'5". 23 years old. Medium frame.

Replies

• kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    you are a freakin' cutie
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Love connection! :)
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    I hate saying this but...these are questions for a health care professional (dr. nurse practitioner etc) I know that this occurred for girls on our swim teams (I was a swim team mom) but it was not that frequent nor did it last that long. Go see a good health care professional and just print what you wrote here and give it to them.
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I would talk to either my gyno or a dietician-- (sp, sorry)--

If you're not getting a period, you're likely not ovulating and anything that messes with your reproductive system is a big deal.

Hope things even out for ya, lady!
  • kealambert
    Options
    and i realize i didn't offer any advice. sorry
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    First I would talk to a doctor to see what she says. I looked at your diary and I would incorporate nuts, avocado and flaxseed oil. Those are clean, healthy fats. What is the baked pumpkin that you are eating a lot? I'm jealous you can get so many chips and chocolate throughout the day and be at your weight!
  • cgfol1
    cgfol1 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat - same age, stats etc. I went to my Gyno and found out I had PCOS. Not to scare you, that was just what was found in my case. Nonetheless, going and seeing a doc is your best bet :)
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I have heard that fat boosts estrogen production so leaner women have less regular periods
    What I have also heard is that this is nothing to worry about.

BUT I AM NOT A DOCTOR SO ASK YOURS.
  • Firefightergirl18
    Firefightergirl18 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Why I was losing weight I didn't have my period, it was around 8 months. When I went back to "normal" after about a month or 2 my periods got back to normal.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    I had this happen to me last year, I had lost my menstrual cycle for over a year..

I was 105 lbs and I am 5'3.

It wasn't "underweight" (according to my BMI) but I say I was probably a low body fat...

I went to a doctor and she couldnt find anything wrong; no imbalance of hormones...

She told me sometimes periods go a bit weird when someone has drastic diet changes or weight loss - it effects your bodies hormones. She told me to make sure to eat enough and not to exercise too much.

I think your body fat is a little low. Just watch how much you exercise and don't over do anything. Keep the fat intake up, I used to eat pretty low fat and that might have been some of what caused my secondary amenoreahh.

Oh and, I started slowly being made to gain weight by my mom...and after that I developing binge eating, and I just started getting depressed with how much I weighed - so I ate, and.... gained weight. Now , I am slightly overwieght (150 lbs last i checked) and my aim is to be 120-130 lbs and no lower.

I would go to a gyno, my doctor wasn't specific or helping enough.
  • freedski1
    freedski1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of different things that can cause a woman to miss her period. Low weight/body fat is one of them, but don't stress... check with your doc, and hopefully things will be flowing smoothly again soon! Cheers!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Yes, you must see your gyno about this as soon as possible.

I know that children probably not on your mind right now but you really should make sure everything is fine before you try to start. I waited until my mid 30s to pay attention to stuff like that and I never was able to have children.

Looking thin is awesome but being healthy is important. If you are doing something to your body that is causing it not to work right, you really need to find out what it is and why.

Good luck.
  • mgram2
    mgram2 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    First I would talk to a doctor to see what she says. I looked at your diary and I would incorporate nuts, avocado and flaxseed oil. Those are clean, healthy fats. What is the baked pumpkin that you are eating a lot? I'm jealous you can get so many chips and chocolate throughout the day and be at your weight!

I used to eat a lot of almonds (which I LOVE) ... but found that I got bad heartburn afterwards.
    Baked pumpkin is pure pumpkin, egg whites, graham cracker, and chocolate chips cooked in the microwave - super yummy.
    And just a note -- the last 2 days of my diary is highly irregular for me.. although I do eat chocolate often as a way of getting enough fat.
  • mgram2
    Options
    Yes, you must see your gyno about this as soon as possible.

I know that children probably not on your mind right now but you really should make sure everything is fine before you try to start. I waited until my mid 30s to pay attention to stuff like that and I never was able to have children.

Looking thin is awesome but being healthy is important. If you are doing something to your body that is causing it not to work right, you really need to find out what it is and why.

Good luck.

I already have a 4 year old son.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough iron in your diet. That may be an issue.
    Also, I don't know if you or someone else mentioned it already but are you on birth control? Certain birth control can cause periods to go away.
  • mike3519
    Options
    maybe you're knocked up!!
  • mgram2
    Options
    I should also mention I seriously do like no "official" exercise. It is extremely rare that I ever go "work out". My day is basically work (I'm an elementary art teacher).. and home.
  • mgram2
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough iron in your diet. That may be an issue.
    Also, I don't know if you or someone else mentioned it already but are you on birth control? Certain birth control can cause periods to go away.

Haven't been on birth control in years.
    And to answer someone else's comment - no.. not preggers. haha
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    This is a common problem in athletic women. Are you extremely active? I'm not a chick so check the link below to see it if helps.
    http://www.youngwomenshealth.org/triad.html
  • kealambert
    Options
    This is a common problem in athletic women. Are you extremely active? I'm not a chick so check the link below to see it if helps.
    http://www.youngwomenshealth.org/triad.html

she said she does no real exercise outside of work