Walking with children in the winter

Options
So I have been walking a lot as part of my exercise. I usually do have to take my little ones with me. A five year old boy, and a 1 year old girl I put into a jogging stroller. I have a stationary bike too, but the walks are so nice to get outside for a while. I live in central Ohio. So we do indeed have plenty of pretty cold days and are coming soon.

I keep thinking I need to walk as much as possible now because I hesitate to take them out much in the cold. But yet, I think of how much I romped and played outside in the cold as a child.

If they are bundled up very, very well, they can probably still handle the walks within reason. Obviously using common sense to check them to make sure they don't get too cold.

Part of me still feels a little mean dragging them outside in the cold just so I can get my exercise in. Yet, I suppose it is good for them too as they need the fresh air and my five year old usually benefits from as much movement as possible. He has the energy of a tornado..

So do you all drag your little ones out in the cold to walk with you?

Kinda of with this question, whether it is cold or not.......

How far is reasonable to ask my five year old to be walking with me? He is an odd one, mostly he is that tornado of energy I mentioned, but when we walk...he whines a lot about wanting to go home.

Replies

• emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can find an activity that is strenuous that involves your child in a way that won't bore him? Like, running around in the back yard together or something?
  • iwuvfluffyme
    Options
    We walk in our mall before they open or at our local parks that have a small trail. That way if its too cold or it starts to rain it will be easy to get in the car and go.
  • joislosingit
    joislosingit Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yes, I took mine out in cold weather. Baby wrapped up well in the pushchair with a storm cover over them. As for your 5 year old... wrap up warm and walk as far as you can before the whinging drives you mad. (Maybe if its not far - you can hop on your bike when you get home?) What about your 5 year old riding a bike or scooter? Is that possible?
  • patiblue
    Options
    I walk to and from the bus stop with my 4 kiddos everyday here in MI and always have for the last 7 years. My oldest is now in middle school and I have twins that are in 3rd grade and my one year old makes the venture every morning. I walk them everyday up there and back and even get a great morning stroll in with the baby once the bus comes. It gets cold, sure, but just bundle them up and they will be fine.

p.s. You can throw some plain uncooked rice in a sock and throw it in the microwave for 30 seconds or so before you head out the door. It makes a great lap warmer or pocket warmers when you are out in the cold. Just don't get the sock wet.... soggy rice bags are not as fun.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    My parents put skis on me as soon as I could walk. Before that, they would tow me behind them on a sled. Dress them up warm. They'll be fine.
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Dress them warm and take them out. They will not freeze. I mean what is your temp get down to 30's or so? Your 5 yr old can walk just as far as he wants. It is good for him.
  • ktrauzzi
    ktrauzzi Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My Mom used to take me out when I was younger all the time! She went for long walks too! Just, had me wrapped warm with some extra blankets (while I was young). The really really cold days she stayed in - but the cold days to me now, I was out in the snow walking. Go with the kids at school - if recess is cancelled - walks are too!
  • laughingnome
    laughingnome Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    As a kid we played outside all year round in Pa. They don't feel it like we do. My mom never took us to the bus stop or drove us to school we learned to deal with it. My kids did too. Parents these days baby the kids too much. I am a school bus driver and see how they are babied. They can handle it just make sure they are dressed right
  • melissa5604
    Options
    I lived in Far Eastern Russia for 3.5 yrs. All babies and children of all ages are taken for walks EVERY day , even when it is snowing. Only if they are sick with fever do they not go out. Now with that said , they are dressed in so many pretective layers , it is hard for them to even waddle , but they do. Babys are put in snow suit, covered in blanket and strapped into a snowbuggy, then that is covered with a breathable covering that lets sun shine thru but keeps cold and snow out. Doctors instruct all new mommys to take the babys out as soon as possible. They need the vitamins from the sun. Children in Russia play all day outside, come in for a break , a hot drink and snack and then go back out. Even on very sunny days , with the snow, you will see ppl strip down to their underwear at the park lay on a blanket and soak in the sun...its an European thing..I knew a guy there that got excited when the temps reached ABOVE -10 cause he could "sunbathe"..lmbo.
    It all depends on what your kids are used to, if you go everyday for a walk , and continue as it gets colder it should not be an issue..just make sure they are dressed warmly especially the baby as it can not say hey im cold.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    he whines a lot about wanting to go home.
    He's bored and wants to be in his comfy house. He's not suffering.
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh. Take them out with you. It's good for all of you. I used to take my little ones out in the carriage no matter what the weather. And when they got old enough to walk, they did that. Just be prudent if is super cold...like 0 or below...or icy...or storming.
    Maybe you could tell your 5year old how far you will be going before turning around....or if it's a circuit then you can give him landmarks to watch for. Maybe give him a list (in pictures) of things to look for...a blue door, a red car, a tulip, whatever you think you might come across. And if you have snow, go out and play with him. snow angles, snow people, snow horses, snow mazes. It's all fun and exercise. Don't give up your walking no matter what.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    So I have been walking a lot as part of my exercise. I usually do have to take my little ones with me. A five year old boy, and a 1 year old girl I put into a jogging stroller. I have a stationary bike too, but the walks are so nice to get outside for a while. I live in central Ohio. So we do indeed have plenty of pretty cold days and are coming soon.

I keep thinking I need to walk as much as possible now because I hesitate to take them out much in the cold. But yet, I think of how much I romped and played outside in the cold as a child.

If they are bundled up very, very well, they can probably still handle the walks within reason. Obviously using common sense to check them to make sure they don't get too cold.

Part of me still feels a little mean dragging them outside in the cold just so I can get my exercise in. Yet, I suppose it is good for them too as they need the fresh air and my five year old usually benefits from as much movement as possible. He has the energy of a tornado..

So do you all drag your little ones out in the cold to walk with you?

Kinda of with this question, whether it is cold or not.......

How far is reasonable to ask my five year old to be walking with me? He is an odd one, mostly he is that tornado of energy I mentioned, but when we walk...he whines a lot about wanting to go home.

if you have the $$, see if you can join the local Y. It is heated, they have treadmills and a walking track. Both kids can go into the children's area and play until you are done. I live near the Delaware and the Powell YMCA...
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Sheww I feel better. I was afraid people would think me mean for considering taking them out in it. I hear of people who do bent out of shape about it. When I was young, it wouldn't have been a question. But now it does seem like most of the people I know would just never consider it and would probably think I am being mean and selfish in making them come along.

To answer a couple of things... We are in an apartment currently. No real yard other than a small fenced patio. But we walk to the park on if it is not raining. Then we make loops. Each one being about a half mile.

You all are probably right, my five year probably is just bored. I just get a little afriad of over working him.

As to the question about Ohio's weather. We are in the 30's a lot yes, but we often hit the teens and 20's for temps regularly. Usually once a year or so we do go below zero for a few days. The worst I remember hitting is 20 below. That is not each year though. But obviously, I wouldn't take them out if it was super cold like that.

We are actually doing homeschool, so I try to keep things interesting on the walks, talking about trees, nature, health, exercise, etc. or just talking in general. But he is of course 5. I suppose it is just a thing of he has to suck it up and deal with it.

All in all, thanks for all of the replies....I am glad to know ya'll don't think I am a terrible parent for considering taking them out in the winter too. Walking has helped me so much, and I am absolutely and utterly determined to set a good example and not lead my children down the path of obesity. I want so much for them to be healthy.
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I am very, very near Powell. Sawmill Rd area. I didn't know there was a Y up there. We don't have the $$ right now due to paying off and obligation for the next couple months, but later we might be able to swing that. Once in a while I do go to Tuttle Mall and walk and let the littles play in the children's area.
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, but I know when I was little we took walks in the winter all the time, now granted, it's not as cold in TN as OH:happy: I haul my nieces and nephew out sledding if we get any kind of snow:bigsmile: They love it and I get a good work out running up and down the hill with them. I would think that as long as its above freezing and no one is ill, go for it. If its below freezing, take the walk, but maybe keep it shorter and go 2 or 3 times during the day. It will still benefit you all and break up the monotony of being stuck indoors.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I am very, very near Powell. Sawmill Rd area. I didn't know there was a Y up there. We don't have the $$ right now due to paying off and obligation for the next couple months, but later we might be able to swing that. Once in a while I do go to Tuttle Mall and walk and let the littles play in the children's area.

the powell Y is near Olentangy Middle School. Liberty rd, maybe 1/2 mile south of Home rd. Take in pay stubs when you apply, and you might qualify for a scholarship for part of your fee! We have a family of 5, and we only had to pay for 50%--we did it when we got our tax refund. They also have programs that might be good for homeschoolers--art, open gym, etc.
  • Tebbspcad
    Tebbspcad Posts: 233
    Options
    I've been dragging my kids out in all weathers since the day they were born. Kids will walk as long as you need them too, just keep the walk interesting looking for leaves, bugs, animal spotting etc or keeping it to lots of short walks with gaps in between to rest or have a drink etc.

We got caught out on the moors (i'm from the North in the UK) when a freak weather front came in & it rained then snowed so bad it was a white out & we weren't really dressed for it. But when we managed to get back to the car after about 2 hours & we had hot drinks & sandwiches & they said had loved the adventure even though they were really cold - it's still a walk they talk about now and it's been 5 years ago!

So kids can get cold and wet and moan they are tired but all in all they love being outside so just go for it! :happy:
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I walked up the Franz Joseph Glacier with my 2 year old son in the back pack! Wrap up the little one in the pram, I had a barley comforter that you put in the microwave to keep my little ones warn. The 5 year old will be fine, just make sure he has hat and gloves, but if he is like my boys, he'll take them off asap!

When It snow here our road is impassable and we have to walk to school, it's great, just allow more time! For the last 15 years I have been doing the 1,25 mile walk to school with the 4 children, now my daughter (who is just 11) walks at my pace of 4mph! Walking is so good for exercise and well worth doing! Of course I have to walk back so very quickly you can clock up 5 miles a day!

I have 3 boys, they are like puppies, if you don't exercise them every day, they rip your house apart!!!! lol!
  • cgfol1
    cgfol1 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I see a lady and her husband at 5am every morning, rain hail or shine, with their bub bundled up in the front of a running pram! It shouldnt stop you at all! :)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    if it's a choice between walking the kids out in the cold and letting them run around in a heated indoor play area - personally I think you should favour the great outdoors. Just make sure the walk is interesting, maybe collect found things for further research (I think you said your five year old is home-schooled) and let him run around whilst you walk.

good clean air, vitamin D, building a good immune system, understanding the world around you, observation, challenges (climbing trees?) has to be better than being indoors in a prescribed play area.

getting caught in a blizzard, climbing and falling out of trees, walking barefoot al summer, building a den in the woods, being out on my bike all day when i was old enough - all these things are happy factors in my childhood memories.