how to log a chinese buffet?

Options
T1mH
T1mH Posts: 568 Member
So how would you log a all you can eat Chinese buffet? I had a bit of a bunch of things.

Before going on how I shouldn't have eaten a buffet. I've been eating good for 40 days. I'm losing weight. I went down a pant size. Yesterday I only ate half my allotted calories and had even less today before going to the buffet. That wasn't my plan but that's how it worked out. So I didn't feel bad splurging a bit.

I did not go crazy. I did eat more than I've eaten for any meal since I've started tracking my food. It's not going to kill my progress. I'm still planning to go workout tonight.

Replies

• tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    If I was going to a Chinese buffet I wouldn't even bother logging, lol. I know that's not very helpful, but unless they have nutritional info, it'll be difficult to figure out and the numbers will be quite high, not to mention the crazy sodium levels.
  • ggtojuju
    ggtojuju Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Would love to know this myself. I miss my buffet.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    If you look up chinese buffet in the database some kind mfp members have added some choices for you depending on how much you ate. Of course, it's all a guesstimate, but I prefer to log something. I use one that has 1250 calories and make sure I work out that day. =)
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I didn't even check the database.

I chose the generic Chinese buffet and the default was 1 servings of 2.5 plates. I figured I had about that much so that's what I logged and I'm still under my goal for the day without exercise calories.

I don't plan on this happening very often.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I have logged buffets in the past and I actually try to log the actual food that I ate but only like 1/4 serving of each if I only have a tasting. If I have more, I try to log an actual serving size. You might be surprised how many calories even a 1/4 serving of some dishes can be. I had a tiny sesame ball at one Chinese Buffet and found out it was 200 calories, Yikes!
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Use the "quick add" calories option and call it a day..lol. At a buffet you cannot accurately account for the food you've eaten, simply because you don't know how it was prepared (oils used, seasonings, etc). When I go to a buffet, I don't worry about logging..but to each their own.
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I would choose a generic "chinese buffet" entry in the MFP database, or throw a # on it and add quick cals to your diary. It sounds like you deserved the splurge..good for you,. Hope you enjoyed it!!
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Log it as 1 billion calories. I logged one day as 900,000,000 calories.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

24452036.jpg
  • aross001
    aross001 Posts: 237
    Options
    I go to one down the street from my house often. I log every item I take, and since I have to estimate I overestimate a bit just in case.
  • AnitaS71
    AnitaS71 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

HAHAHA! How much (more) did it say you would "weigh in 5 weeks if every day were like today"? ;-)
  • xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I find that most of my dining out is pure guestimation, I like to go to little local places that never have nutritional info. I usually try to find a close match and go with that. I have used the generic Chinese buffet entry before as well. Close enough for me.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I would skip logging for the day.
  • pg3ibew
    Options

HAHAHA! How much (more) did it say you would "weigh in 5 weeks if every day were like today"? ;-)

It said I would weigh 10,000 pounds in five weeks. I left it up there. My wife was cracking up.
  • pg3ibew
    Options

It said I would weigh 10,000 pounds in five weeks. I left it up there. My wife was cracking up.

My mistake. I put 10,000,000 calories and it said I would weigh 100,000 pounds in five weeks. I logged it on Oct 6. You could check it out.
  • AnitaS71
    AnitaS71 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

My mistake. I put 10,000,000 calories and it said I would weigh 100,000 pounds in five weeks. I logged it on Oct 6. You could check it out.

Love it!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I go to a chinese buffet every once in a while. I tend to eat the same thing when I go, so I took the time to search the data base for the closest thing, estimated the serving size, and then made a "My Meal" of it. That way I can just log My Meal, rather than go through logging each thing every time.
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I only go to buffets with hibachi's - it's easier when your putting the stuff on the plate yourself. I usually ask for no sauce too, and just dip in spicy mustard or volcano mayo if it's available so I can also track that. I figure if thats where I'm eating, it's best I see them making my food.
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    So how would you log a all you can eat Chinese buffet? I had a bit of a bunch of things.

Before going on how I shouldn't have eaten a buffet. I've been eating good for 40 days. I'm losing weight. I went down a pant size. Yesterday I only ate half my allotted calories and had even less today before going to the buffet. That wasn't my plan but that's how it worked out. So I didn't feel bad splurging a bit.

I did not go crazy. I did eat more than I've eaten for any meal since I've started tracking my food. It's not going to kill my progress. I'm still planning to go workout tonight.

I would suggest not logging it and just looking at it as treating yourself for one meal. As long as you don't eat like this every day, it's no big deal. If you really are intent on logging it, just try to remember everything you ate and go from there.
  • babycakes1970
    babycakes1970 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I love to go to our wonderful local Asian Buffet. In fact we went for his birthday a few weeks ago and will go again for mine next weekend. We mainly go to celebrate special occasions like birthdays ect. When we go I do not even bother logging it as I just know that I am going to be way over my calorie goal. I do not worry about gaining back weight because of occasional good times at a buffet. My daughter is Autistic and buffets are the only kind of restaurants we can take her to without her having a meltdown since she can select her food choices herself by pointing at the food.