New to the Gym

Options
Hi all,

After an embarrassingly long time away from being healthy (and gaining all my weight back) :-( I am going to get a gym membership. I am excited because they offer pilates, yoga, and Zumba at times I can participate, but my question for more experienced gym-goers is, would it be more effective for me to just use the cardio machines with some strength training, or would I be able to lose weight by participating in the classes?

I am female, 5' 7.5", ~227 lbs. My main goal right now is weight loss. After I lose ~50-60lbs I want to work on toning, but right now it is hard enough to work up the motivation to exercise.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on after-workout drinks or snacks? I don't want to go over on calories, but I know protein after workouts is important.

Thank you all!

Replies

• mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    would it be more effective for me to just use the cardio machines with some strength training, or would I be able to lose weight by participating in the classes?

The key word is "effective." Effective can and often is *boring*. Ultimately, what's going to keep you active and fit is enjoyment. Weight loss is 95% nutrition; exercise speeds it along.

It terms of numerical weight loss, doing cardio at your effective fat-burning heart rate is probably the most effective; it is also boring like watching paint dry, no matter how much music/podcasts/TV, etc. you do to keep your mind occupied.

Classes can be fun, can challenge you in new ways, and can keep you engaged in the program. Personally, I like my spin classes much more than an simply sitting on the trainer for an hour; it's not as good, but it's more fun for me. You also make friends and have people, in your same boat, who you can relate to and that peer-support is helpful.

Mix it up and do what works for you.

I personally like my post-workout protein shakes (some of them are actually pretty tasty), but they are by no means necessary.
  • CLCinNOLA
    CLCinNOLA Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I agree with Mirthfuldrago who said, "Mix it up and do what works for you". Try different things! Remember, what will work best for you is what you really like and will keep doing in the long term. For me, that is using the weight lifting machines and I work out on them consistently, three times a week. But I also do other types of exercise just for the variety (and also in my eternal quest for some sort of cardio exercise that I like as much as weightlifting). I have an exercycle at home, and lately I have been riding that, too.

If I was only interested in losing weight as fast as possible, I'd probably get on the elliptical and ride until I dropped every time. I truly hate the elliptical, though, and it wouldn't take long for me to drop. LOL So, although I have tried doing the elliptical at various times, I don't really do that as much as some other types of exercise.

Group exercise does not have as much appeal to me as it does to most people, so I haven't really done classes at the gym. Others sometimes do ONLY classes, if that is what floats their boat. I regard the gym as a great place to play, get exercise, and discover what exercise you really like that works for you as well.

The best thing about the gym, and part of what you are paying for in your membership, is access to a HUGE variety of equipment and facilities so that you can find out first hand what appeals to you and what gives you the results that you want.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    New to the gym, my advice - try everything. Give all the classes a go (at least 3 or 4 times), try the cardio machines, try weights. Find out what you love, what you hate and what you love but hate because you find it challanging! Variety is the spice of life so mix it up and give yourself plenty of options. Be flexible. Some days you might not feel like doing an hour class so you can do half an hour on the treadmill instead.

Remember the key is finding something that you will keep doing long term, so you need to find something that you love doing or at very least can bear to do.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Like the other responses I reckon mix it up.

For post workout I have a banana smoothie.

It uses up quite a few of my workout calories but that's ok