discouraged...need success stories

Options
Hi. I am NOT overweight but I have been in the past....now I just look like a skinny fat person. My skin looks like wet dough (IMHO). I am busting my butt to firm up but seem to be getting nowhere fast. I feel like I could go insane. I started 30day shred yesterday and I figure if that doesnt work nothing will.......I really need to hear from people who have had my same problems but have finally broken through to building muscle and getting your butt up off the ground. Sorry if this is not the kind of post people are used to...:)

Replies

• carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I wish I could relate!! I am still fat. :):) But, I think the more weight training you can do, the better toned you will become. You may also need to actually add some calories or protein in order to start building muscle tone. But, I probably have no idea what I'm talking about. I just think you should keep the faith and be strong!! You can accomplish your goal if you put your mind to it and trust that your hard work will pay off. Good luck!!!
  • sissy56
    sissy56 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I agree with carrieliz. Even though I usually despise every minute, weight training has completely changed my body. I've had about half a dozen sessions with a trainer over the years to change up the program and gain confidence and it's been well worth it. Also, I created a zumba music station on Pandora radio and when no one's home to laugh at me, I dance my ... off (hopefully.)
  • sunflower13
    Options
    Reaching out to others is a really good start!

Cut out ALL sugar...that includes the sugar in drinks (wine, fruit juice, coffee creamer, etc...) Our bodies burn sugar first, then fat. By cutting out sugar, your body will burn fat all day. So far, I've lost 11% body fat by cutting out sugar and exercising regularly.

Best of luck!! Keep at it! :-)
  • arek
    arek Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Jackeezqueen,
    Like the person preceding my comment, I probably am not one to give advice, as I’m seeking it myself… nevertheless, sounds like you have done the hard part already; so, keep on keeping on! …“Everything starts small” (from: Big trouble in little china), it’s about incrementalism and 'delayed gratification'. Do not look at what you perceive a shortfall today; but rather, on your accomplishment to date and the “fabulous you” tomorrow.
    When I was 19 and in US Army I was an example of fitness, then life got in a way, and now at 45 and using this website to put the “Humpty Dumpty” together again… 2-days before X-mass (when I signed up for this website) I was hard pressed to exercise, but through incrementalism I almost reached the level of exercise routine from +20-yrs ago. Still no weight loss or decrement in waist line; but, I gained one awesome new habit – taking control over my diet and body maintenance, as well as hope that results will come! By your own admission, you have done the difficult part already, the rest is just an icing on the proverbial cake.
    One more thought… A man was very anxious about seeing his sweetheart and got caught speeding. Standing in front of a traffic judge, he said, “Your honor, I shouldn't be found guilty of speeding, because I was not in the car! You see, I was so excited about getting to the destination that my mind was already there, and my thoughtless body was simply trying to catch up…” You see, I think we (the users of this website) are like this driver. We have this image of what we can be. Our minds hold onto that terrific image; now, our bodies have to catch up. “What a mind can conceive, person can achieve”; so, Chin up, and don't let up! You are almost, almost, almost (can you see it?) - there!
    ~ Junior “stint disciple”.
  • jackeezqueen
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I am going to just keep on doing what I am doing (and more) and pray. I know I also need to get my diet straight too....I am either under calorie or too much sugar...and I am sure that is throwing me off. My daughter is now doing myfitnesspal so I am hoping her partnership will help me out in that area.
  • cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    Options
    hang in there!
    go check out the forum entitled..."success stories" :)
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    Don't give up!!!!!!!!!! It took me along time to get to the point where I had lost enough fat to start being able to see deffinition. It sometimes takes a while but it will happen. I just realized that I do in fact have muscles in my arms, not just flab!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep with strength training and it will happen, just try to be patient.

I also have a waist!!!!!!!!!
  • jackeezqueen
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement. I will just keep on doing what I am doing and try to eat right. I was wondering also after workouts if it is really helpful to drink protein shakes or could I just eat tuna or something like that?? I have read so much about the importance of having protein shakes after workouts but that stuff can get expensive.....

Thanks everyone!
  • bexiesbruv
    Options
    Personally, and this is only my opinion, it is not necessary to go the protein shake route.
    The protein you need can easily come from a balanced diet, and that, in addition to the exercise, is the reason most of us are here, isn't it? We screwed up diet and neglected exercise. at least I did.
    When you are just starting out on this program I would guess your percieved effort is high although your intensity might be low.
    I would guess (and it is just a guess) that just a light snack and water would be enough in the first few weeks.
    I was given a recipe for breakfast that I actually make up in enough quantity to get me through to lunch or beyond.
    Frozen blueberries in a bowl, followed by Quick oats. Pour on hot water to make it "gloopy" leave for 1.5 minutes then add cottage cheese or yogurt and chopped nuts. I leave out the cottage cheese though as there is too much sodium for me.
    Then I just eat enough every two hours to get me through to lunch (or beyond).
    By the way, I make an 800 calorie pot of it.
    So, as an example, yesterday I ran hard for 1 hour at 7.15 am (on an empty stomach) ate a 1/3 of my container. Worked outside and ate some more at 11 worked some more and ate the rest at 12.30. Missed lunch and ate a snack at 4 pm. Supper at 6.30 and another snack at 8.30. I was still 350 calories under my suggested for the day and all because (I believe) of that meal. I have been eating this way for two weeks is all, and I am down 3 lbs or so.
    I feel that this is a success story.
    Please try not to be discouraged before you start, yes it takes time, but it really is worth the effort, and when you get into a routine that works for you, it will become so easy you will wonder what all the fuss was about!
    Good luck

Bex