Suggestions for starter strength exercises?

Options
My body is literally in 'weak mode' I just joined today. I am 320 lbs, 5'5"

What simple starter moves can I do here at home? I own two 5 lb dumbbells. That's all I really have.

Thanks for any tips. :)

Replies

• melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. It is intense for beginners, but honestly she has 400 pound people doing jumping jacks so it can be done. YouTube is your friend here. You can find a lot of good, free information out there.
  • LilacDaffodil
    LilacDaffodil Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    this one works for me, and I'm nowhere near fit :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWLr-_dvzms
  • LilacDaffodil
    LilacDaffodil Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    this one works for me, and I'm nowhere near fit :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWLr-_dvzms
  • jgsparks89
    jgsparks89 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Bicep curls, tri-ceps curl, over head press, lateral and forward arm raises, etc. Combine these upper body moves with squats, lunges, side-lunges. Don't neglect your core. I would also suggest in investing in some heavier weights and a body ball (or a gym membership) so you can develop a good full body routine.
  • Jayme34
    Jayme34 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I love the "walk away the pounds" dvds by leslie sansone. You can buy them at walmart for under $10. You can start with one mile walk and work your way up. They are simple enough and a great workout.

You can use weights with the videos as well, and one of the videos comes with a stretchie band for resistence training.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    You can start without weights and add them to some of these exercises..
    - Squats
    - Lunges
    - High knees
    - Crunches or sit ups
    - Push ups
    - Planks
    - Rows using the dumbbells
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Sorry about the double post.
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    when I started I just walked, 20 minutes to start, now I walk about 2 hours at a time. I live in Texas too :)
  • lithiumangel
    Options
    Hehe ya I think walking to start may be better for me. Just a few minutes of that YouTube vid up there ^ and I was dying. XD I will keep these in mine though when I get ready.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You can start without weights and add them to some of these exercises..
    - Squats
    - Lunges
    - High knees
    - Crunches or sit ups
    - Push ups
    - Planks
    - Rows using the dumbbells

Great list! Start slow, just 3 or 4 days a week, and don't wear yourself out. I started with things like these exercises, at 263 pounds. Then I started a program called Couch to 5k. Now I am doing the 30 Day Shred. I could not have done the 30DS without having done C25k first. It wore me out to just walk for 5 minutes when I first started. In two months, I could jog for a half hour before getting winded.

Having dumbbells, you already have more equipment than me! All I have is my own body weight and a few things around the house that I use for weights. In the beginning, you can go far with what you have already and simple calisthenics and body weight exercises. Use your feet for walking or try to Couch to 5k.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Welcome to MFP! :flowerforyou:
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I started with resistance bands - you can determine how much resistance you have on them - they are cheap and super portable(I take it with me on trips)...

The Xertube ones come with a little booklet of the exercises - and there's an "easy" band available...
  • lithiumangel
    Options
    Actually I have those bands! They are stuffed in a drawer somewhere.