Elliptical calories? Please help!

Options
According to MFP, if I go on the elliptical for 40 minutes, I only burn about 250 calories. I know it doesn't account for resistance or speed, but still...when I enter weight and age on the elliptical at the gym, it says I burn almost 400 calories in 40 minutes. That still seems a little high though...what's the best way to calculate what I really burn?

If it helps any:
5'2-5'3 ish, 95 pounds.
average heart rate = 110-120 i think?
resistance - flip back and forth between 14/50 and 20 every 4 minutes or so.
strides per minute = about 75-80 I think?
distance = I think 5 miles, maybe a little more.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and 115 lbs. The MFP numbers are about what I get with my HRM. Most machines lie and are really over on burn. I'd stick with MFP especially if you plan on eating those calories.
  • smhaze77
    smhaze77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Really hard to say , I have the opposite problem, the Ellipticals I use show less of a calorie burn than what MFP says. I usually go with the lower number just to be on the safe side.
  • rwhawkes
    rwhawkes Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have been suspicious of the calorie count coming of elliptical. If do it for 60 minutes, it say I burn a ridiculous amount of calories - maybe 1400++ ... of course I'm considerably heavier than OP - just over 300 lbs.

I googled it and found a couple sources saying that elliptical overestimates the calorie count by 42% which is pretty significant if you're "eating your exercise calories" or even some of them.

http://www.everyfit.com/2011/03/08/true-or-false-elliptical-machines-overestimate-your-calorie-burn