WOW, SO hungry!!

Options
It's 10 PM Eastern time and I am sooooo hungry. Not sure a glass of water will work........a PBJ sandwich is so tempting. Ideas? suggestions for late night hunger?

Replies

• Jongfaith
    Jongfaith Posts: 195
    Options
    5 cups of oil popped popcorn is just over 200 calories. This Fills me up like no other snack imaginable!
  • pamcuster
    pamcuster Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I would drink a glass of milk and go to bed!!!
  • theblitz
    Options
    if you're physically hungry (not bored or emotionally hungry) EAT SOMETHING! :D make it healthy though! PB and J sounds delicious but it is very high calorie. maybe fruits or veggies, or non-sugary cereal? good luck!
  • madonetwo
    madonetwo Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support. I'm doing a glass of water and lights out!
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    If you can, I'd say focus on something high protein, low carb... Nuts maybe, cottage cheese if you like it. :)

Here's some info that might help in general:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/75948-eat-protein-evening-maximum-weight/

Edit: or water. ;-)
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Everyone always curses carbs but a few crackers or some cereal does wonders to improve sleep.
  • badkitty12486
    badkitty12486 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Morning will come fast enough where you can eat again but if you can't sleep because of it. eat light and make sure what you eat tommorow will be light as well so that you can have a late snack. try a tablespoon of peanut butter, helps with metabolism or granola bars. I like special k chocolate pretzel...80 calories. good luck
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    A small apple ALWAYS does the trick for me
  • Suzyqall72
    Options
    Maybe hot tea with lemon and some non calorie sweetener? Or an apple. Although now I'm thinking a PB&J sounds good! lol
  • twingirlsmommy
    twingirlsmommy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    An apple with Natural PB??
  • esrnsky
    Options
    I find that I am not always hungry as much as I want to MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH so I have been keeping brocolli in the house for such a time as this!
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, eat! It doesn't matter what time it is.

I like to keep it light, though, since your body needs to rest while it sleeps, not digest a lot of food. My favorite late-night snack is yogurt, and if that won't do it, I eat a couple pieces of cheese or a banana with peanut butter.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    LF cheesestick & some grapes ......

milk & a teaspoon of almond butter ...... (yes, I lick it right off the spoon :drinker: )
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Everyone always curses carbs but a few crackers or some cereal does wonders to improve sleep.

I'm not cursing carbs by any means, but going for protein in the evening makes some sense. From the link I posted above:
    Nutrient timing is one of the most effective ways to ensure that the foods you eat work for you rather than being stored as unwanted body fat. Focusing on eating protein and limiting carbohydrate intake in the evening makes sense because our bodies' preferred source of fuel is carbs--such as rice, bread and potatoes--and the evening is usually the least active time of the day. Carbohydrates, especially high-glycemic ones such as simple sugars, are readily stored as body fat when they aren't burned as fuel. Hence, there is no need to eat large amounts of carbs in the evening while sitting on the couch or preparing to go to bed.

Plus, for me at least, protein tends to make me feel more full. But believe me, carbs (beer, bread, beer... did I mention beer?) are a few of my favorite things. ;-)

To each his/her own!
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    It's 10 PM Eastern time and I am sooooo hungry. Not sure a glass of water will work........a PBJ sandwich is so tempting. Ideas? suggestions for late night hunger?

Keep in mind "emotional hunger" vs "real hunger". If you are really hungry, you will eat anything. Emotional hunger usually craves specific things. I always try to wait out any craving for at least 30 minutes while trying to distract myself with something else. If that doesn't work, water+ protein+fiber.
  • KarTex
    KarTex Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try some Pretzel Crisps - they come in many flavors - with some good spicy mustard. Or an APPLE is a great choice with some good cinnamon.
  • stbrad6896
    Options
    yogurt is good. I like the greek yogurts - no fat, high protein, low carb, low cal, and it's sweet like desert! Fruits and veggies are an obvious choice but since u were craving pb&j , why not some grapes or strawberries and a couple whole wheat crackers with just a smudge of natural peanut or almond butter. That way you're getting the same flavors but you'll burn more calories digesting the fruit and whole wheat. If you ask me it's all about portion control. You could even cut a pb&j into quarters, munch one and save the rest for snacks.
  • effcla
    effcla Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    PBJ sounds good to me! I was like that this afternoon about 3:00; so hungry I was ready to eat anything to get rid of that hunger so I decided on a PB half sandwich (1 slice of bread, 1 TB peanut butter and 1 TB Fit Flax) for 230 calories. It kept me satisfied until dinner time at 7:00 pm.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Try Premier Protein Shake has 160 calories 30g protein 1g sugar and low fat I get at Costco or try Fiber one bar 90 calories that works for me.Protein keeps me full all the time.