can calories 'carry over?'

Options
For instance, if I went 200 calories under my goal yesterday, and 100 over today, than would I essentially be able to eat 100 more today without my weight/metabolism/nutritition/etc. being affected? or does it go on a day-to-day basis only?

Replies

• YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    You should be moreso concerned with hitting your calories goals on a weekly basis. So yes, they can carry over as long as everything evens out at the end of the week.
  • el223029
    Options
    Well the way that they calculate your calorie goals is by how many pounds you would like to lose in a week. So if you wanted to lose one pound, you would need to have a 3500 calorie deficiency over some period of time. So as long as your calories all balance out to your goal for the week you will reach the calorie deficit that you need... so basically yes your calories do sort of carry over if you think of it that way!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    My opinion - absolutely yes.

I do long workouts (3 to 5 hours) on weekends. I'll burn more than 3000 calories sometimes, but I find I have more energy if I "pre-eat" the calories I'm going to burn. Typically, I'll eat above goal on Thursday & Friday and balance it out on Saturday and Sunday with workouts and recovery foods (protein mostly).
  • cncrafton
    cncrafton Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Calories do not reset at midnight. :) You should be just fine aiming to hit a weekly goal rather than daily.
  • quiltingducky
    quiltingducky Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    As you look at it as working out in the long run, yes, I would think so too. I wouldn't try to make it a habit to starve one day so you could indulge the next though. I think that could be a slippery slope as far as mentality.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I think within a couple days they can carry over. from last week till now, no.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Yep. It's not a golden rule that sticking to your calories within a 24-hour limit is what matters. As people have stated above, a weekly goal is fine. Personally, I'm never the exact amount any day and do what you're doing constantly.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Some folks do it on purpose to bust slow weight loss. It's called zig zagging!
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Weight loss seems to be cumulative, just like gaining weight was.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    It is a journey, not a sprint. Essentially yes. I like to try to focus on the daily and don't worry too much if I am a few calories over OR if even once in a while I am well over. There are other days I am well under. It is a process. Like yesterday, I was probably about 600-700 calories over BUT it was an unusual day. I don't get bent out of shape about it. At best it is an estimate... If you are only going over or under by 100 calories I would say that is within the margin of error anyway. Best wishes toward your continued success.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I go by week, not day. Daily tracking is simply easier and can help keep you within your goals.
  • vabchloser
    vabchloser Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My opinion - absolutely yes.

I do long workouts (3 to 5 hours) on weekends. I'll burn more than 3000 calories sometimes, but I find I have more energy if I "pre-eat" the calories I'm going to burn. Typically, I'll eat above goal on Thursday & Friday and balance it out on Saturday and Sunday with workouts and recovery foods (protein mostly).

Good idea. Like tonight after p90x and my 5 mile run, I'm having trouble fitting in all the calories I need. I'm going to try that! 10k on Saturday!!