I'm new to this site and could use some help!

Options
I downloaded this app on my iphone several months back and even tracked my diet and weight loss for a little while. Tonight is the first time I have logged on since July and I have gained from the last time I was on. I haven't added any of my friends because it's just embarrassing to let anyone know how I have not been taking care of myself. It seems silly because they KNOW me, they SEE me...but its hard! I have had such a hard time staying motivated! Looking at the "big" picture and seeing how much weight I want to lose just seems so daunting! Anyone else feel this way? Any tips? Helpful advice? I'm open to anything! ;)

Replies

• Jtcassidy02
    Options
    I feel the same way. Friends have no idea that I need to lose approximately 50 pounds to feel normal again, but 80 pounds to weigh what I did in high school. Sometimes honesty is the best policy. It can make it real and you might be less likely to make excuses if other people,are aware of the battle Everyone is different, but you are here with the rest of us and we all want to lose weight and be healthier. Good luck. Heres to honesty and hard work and lots of working out.
  • vabchloser
    vabchloser Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    It is hard to admit to others what you need to do for yourself. I actually have a few friends at work and at home who I tell all too. I'm quite sure they get sick of it. But when I tell my male bff at work that I am at a plateau and what I'm doing to break it, he smiles...because when he starts talking about how he has to eat 4000 calories a day to build more muscle and gain weight, well, I just smile right back!!!

We all have personal battles. Tell people you trust...and keep them updated. When they see you being dedicated, they'll be dedicated to help. I have several work buddies on my mfp friends list. They are life savers!!
  • kdenreyes2
    Options
    My weight has yo-yo'ed since I got married....15 years ago. My youngest child is 12 and I lost all of my weight within a few months after he was born so I can't blame my weight gain on the kids! hehe I too have about 60-70 lbs I would like to lose. I stopped smoking almost 3 years ago so thats when the majority of the weight gain started. I'm just ready to do something about it. I'm tired of being miserable.

Thank you both for replying. I'm taking steps!
  • tarajoneill
    tarajoneill Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    What works for me is achieving small realistic goals. Go for 5lbs, 10 lbs, then 15lbs. The more you achieve, the better you feel, and it snowballs. I lost 60lbs and gained it all back, but the smallest bit of success is such a huge motivator!
  • Dragonldy69
    Dragonldy69 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: WELCOME to all to MFP.. You all are welcome to add me as a friend if you wish.. :drinker:
  • sew2much
    sew2much Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know all too well how you feel about this situation. I have lost weight before, gained it back, and so forth and so on. You know the deal. I hate to look at a picture of myself. My son graduated this year from high school and I said "this is the last straw. It is time to do something about it". I made 51 years old this year and I am not getting any younger. I just feel so lost and out of control. I have two co-workers and myself that joined a gym earlier this year. I am the only one that is truly being faithful now. You have to set it in your mind that you want to do this no matter what. I want to get rid of the medicines, and be able to look at pictures of myself, and smile again. I hate being tired all the time and disgusted. That is my motivation. What is yours? Good luck! :smile:
  • Ldysw357
    Ldysw357 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I will say that I tried hiding it for a long time too, but I finally came out and just started telling people my weight etc and it was almost therapeutic for me and a weight off of my chest and you know what....everyone has been very supportive and great and my opening up has actually motivated some others. That said, you have to be ready and comfortable with yourself to do that and it took me a long time to get to that point. Good luck in your journey!
  • kdenreyes2
    Options
    What works for me is achieving small realistic goals. Go for 5lbs, 10 lbs, then 15lbs. The more you achieve, the better you feel, and it snowballs. I lost 60lbs and gained it all back, but the smallest bit of success is such a huge motivator!

I think you're right. Smaller goals are going to be better for me I think.
  • kdenreyes2
    Options
    I am trying to get comfortable with the "number" myself. I use to be 125 pounds and this was after having 2 children. The last time I weighed in, I was 210. Gosh, that sounds horrible to me...125 to 210. I sit and wonder how in the world I let it get so bad. I know it didn't happen overnight, but sometimes it feels like I was just too busy to notice that the weight was there. Getting started is so hard and I just don't know where to begin so that I can stick with it.
  • kdenreyes2
    Options
    I know all too well how you feel about this situation. I have lost weight before, gained it back, and so forth and so on. You know the deal. I hate to look at a picture of myself. My son graduated this year from high school and I said "this is the last straw. It is time to do something about it". I made 51 years old this year and I am not getting any younger. I just feel so lost and out of control. I have two co-workers and myself that joined a gym earlier this year. I am the only one that is truly being faithful now. You have to set it in your mind that you want to do this no matter what. I want to get rid of the medicines, and be able to look at pictures of myself, and smile again. I hate being tired all the time and disgusted. That is my motivation. What is yours? Good luck! :smile:

I understand the being tired and disgusted! I feel that everyday of my life. I'm 33 and not on any medicines yet, but I know if I don't get this together now, I will be. Good luck to you my friend!
  • AKkatHarris
    Options
    dont get down, just try to do better in the next day, the next meal, that is how you go, small choices to big changes:D

hugs and cheers
    kat
  • estreeval
    Options
    I