she only eats veggies/nuts how does she get enough protein

Options
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6oJA_xhTa8

She only eats veggies and nuts.. how does she even get enough protein? Does she eat dairy products?

She looks amazing... though....

I don't know if I could adapt to only raw fruits and veggies. lol.

Replies

• aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    lol, vegan endurance athlete here. easy enough. Protein is in every single food. :)
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Vegetables and nuts contain protein....
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    I am aware they contain protein. But they are mainly carbs...

Nuts are a good source of protein and fat, but still. I wouldn't even make it to my protein goals if all I ate was veggies/fruits and nuts.
  • jnp96
    jnp96 Posts: 163
    Options
    There are plenty of ways to get protein when eating vegetarian. Tofu & beans can fill the bill. Even broccoli has protein.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    We are conditioned to believe protein is only available in meat and dairy. This is not true. Only eating fruits, veges, and nuts is the most healthy diet one could possibly be on!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    She is truly incredible.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Holy crap. It almost makes me want to follow her diet.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

No. chips are mainly carbs. Vegetables are both protein and crabs but just in extremely low amounts.. You can eat as much as you want and it'll be extremely hard to hit 1500 calories a day.

Nuts are a good source of protein and fat, but still. I wouldn't even make it to my protein goals if all I ate was veggies/fruits and nuts.

What is your protein goal? It's not to hard to meet a normal person's goal of 45 grams of protein a day from vegetables.
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options
    How does she get enough calcium...

Why do people think meat and dairy are bad for someone??

Just wondering, I don't know too much about the health benefits.
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options

No. chips are mainly carbs. Vegetables are both protein and crabs but just in extremely low amounts.. You can eat as much as you want and it'll be extremely hard to hit 1500 calories a day.

What is your protein goal? It's not to hard to meet a normal person's goal of 45 grams of protein a day from vegetables.

My protein goal is usually around 70-100 g

I think I have it set to 45% of my calories...
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    How does she get enough calcium...

Why do people think meat and dairy are bad for someone??

Just wondering, I don't know too much about the health benefits.

Soy Milk
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Wow. Craziness! Not sure I could do that.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options

She might have different protein goals than you do.

There are many different opinions on how much any protein any one person needs. She may subscribe to a different philosophy than you do. :)
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options

There are many different opinions on how much any protein any one person needs. She may subscribe to a different philosophy than you do. :)

True, of course...
    I just thought a lot of protein was good for you.... lol.
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options
    Sorry if I made this out to sound like a question coming from a dumb person --

I just mean't....

If all she is eating is vegetables, fruits, nuts, spices...
    How does she get ;

calcium
    enough protein
    enough sodium...(don't you need some to function well?)
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

True, of course...

I feel high protein diets are over hyped especially if you are eating meats as meats do not contain a wide variety of vitamins as vegetables. I also wanted to mention that Soy milk contains 1/4 the calorie content compared to Cow milk, has much protein or more compared to cow milk, and has a shelf life of 3 months.
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options

True, of course...

I feel high protein diets are over hyped especially if you are eating meats as meats contain absolutely no vitamins in them. I also wanted to mention that Soy milk contains 1/4 the calorie content compared to Cow milk, contains just as much protein or more, and has a shelf life of 3 months.

Danggg, I need to get some soy milk.... lol.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    27 years of eating only raw fruit, veggies, nuts and seeds? wow
  • rawfull
    rawfull Posts: 178
    Options
    Just have a look at Raw Kale... Source: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2461/2

Or Spirulina... same source as above... http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2765/2

And here's the results of a low fat raw vegan diet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucHEVNX2c9o
  • kkayecarlson
    kkayecarlson Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a low fat vegan diet for the past few weeks to get back on track. I used the book "Fit to Live" as a guideline. I have been amazed how easy the transition was and how good I have been feeling...and how not hungry I have been. The weight loss is a plus but I plan on using the things I have been learning even after the initial 6 week program. If I had known it was this easy I would have gone vegan years ago!
    P.S. Yes I get enough protein, yes I work out (boot camp) and running, yes I get enought calcium and with cold and flu season coming up I am pretty excited about a boost in my immune system!