How do I get him outside and moving?

Options
kaleas
kaleas Posts: 200
My roommate/best friend is addicted to social media, his cellphone, laptop, and socializing. He works in a cafe, plays in a band, and drinks in bars at night. However he complains about his weight gain and wants my help to incorporate more "fun" exercise into his life. I love to go hiking, explore outdoors, and take pictures of scenic landscapes.

How can I make getting outside and being active seem more appealing to someone who cant deal with being outside cellphone reception for more than 5 minutes?

Replies

• vabchloser
    vabchloser Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Take him outside and let him have his cell phone. Download Endomondo or another app to track walking.

Small steps :) Just my opinion!
  • zaidr
    zaidr Posts: 66
    Options
    you just have to keep trying new things till he likes something or just decides to stick with something for his health. try rock climbing, and sport he likes, swimming, or you can just start off by taking longs walks and having interesting conversations
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    tell him you found some rare 7" vinyls in the forest from a band noones heard of.

that should do it.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    He likes tech andocil media - so use that. Get him on mfp or using fitbit.
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I like the long walks idea. If he likes to socialize, he can do both at the same time.

Or maybe you could get him interested in taking a dance class? Then he'll get to enjoy music and people, with exercise as a bonus!
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I do NOT mean this to sound disrespectful. I'm assuming he's your age roughly. And, I'm looking back at who I was as a man at that age. That's where I'm pulling this suggestion from.

Get him to take a walk with you, however you do that. Walk like Hell. Wear him down. Keep going and then ask if he's really going to let a girl out do him. It'll work. I promise.
  • kaleas
    kaleas Posts: 200
    Options
    tell him you found some rare 7" vinyls in the forest from a band noones heard of.

that should do it.

You have no idea how hard I laughed.

We used to go for runs through the city together, but he's a pretty lazy fellow these days, so maybe taking him out and showing him how much continuing to move has put me in better shape than him will make him man the hell up.
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    Glue his cell phone to a remote control car. I he wants it, he'll have to work for it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Ask him to help you test wifi hotspots around town while you're walking.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

that should do it.

You have no idea how hard I laughed.

We used to go for runs through the city together, but he's a pretty lazy fellow these days, so maybe taking him out and showing him how much continuing to move has put me in better shape than him will make him man the hell up.

Steal his cel phone and tell him he can have it back when he "catches" you. Then run.