INSANITY questions? Please help!

Options
Disclaimer: I've posted this once before without replies so please don't report! I'll give you a moderate portion of dark chocolate if you don't! :D

SW: 186
CW: 161

GW1: 160
GW2: 145

UGW: 130-135

Hey guys,

So I've been on MFP for about 3 months now and I've lost around 25 lbs already. Most of the exercise I do is running and walking (I'm to the point now where I can run up to 6-7 miles without stopping at about 10 mins/mile) and I'm getting a little bored of it. I'm also finding that I'm VERY unmotivated to do strength training which is a bummer.

Now, I've tried insanity once for a couple of days when I was really out of shape and, as expected, I died. But now I'm way more up to the challenge and I'm way more in shape. My question is if I can stick to it for 5 or 6 days a week (since it's only 45-60 mins), will it be as or more effective as my walking and running routine? Like, will it give me more strength and endurance AND incorporate the strength training I need (or do I need to do extra of my own?). I could also try insanity and maybe a shorter run a couple of days a week but I don't know. I heard from people that workouts range from 200-400 calories a workout when I can get about 560 from an hour run so what extra will I be getting from it?

PS, if you know any insanity-type workouts (I hear 30DS is a lot easier in comparison so preferably something more challenging).

PPS, if you wanna try to maybe do Insanity/similar program WITH me I'd be all for that! We could motivate each other!

Replies

• shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Running's amazing and very good for you but... Insanity's a total body workout.
    Burning,stretching,muscles etc....from top to bottom workout. So yes,it's more complete and you will make more progress with insanity. Still if you can add (like I do) some running when you have a little time off..It will just be better but I would stick with Insanity for the 60 days...After you can go back to your running or see where you want to go at that point.

I'm on Insanity week 7...

Good luck
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Short version --Insanity will define muscles, rather than just burn fat
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I say Insanity but I'm biased.
  • phatycake
    phatycake Posts: 216
    Options
    I say Insanity but I'm biased.

This ^
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Runner first and foremost. The rest is just 2nd best.

I went from 220 to 150 doing running and weights. I am back because I broke my foot and consoled myself w take out. I loooove o run. I love races, I love how I feel after I run. To me, running isn't just my cardio but my route to sanity.

So I too am biased. Shaun t made my knees hurt worse than 13 miles of Seattle hills.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I think insanity burns a lot more than that. Do a search as there are loads of posts on insanity.