Cardio After Lifting = Muscle Loss?

Options
13»

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    off topic, why do people automatically say they avoid heavy liftng because they dont want to be a competitive bodybuilder? :laugh:

that's like saying i dont want to learn how to drive because i dont want to be a race car driver..

one thing has nothing to do with the other

I don't do cardio because we all know that after running for two weeks a person instantly turns into an Olympic marathon runner, right?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Unfortunately a lot of general "recommendations" about exercise get skewed based on the needs of the most extreme participants in an activity.

It reminds me of the old running days in the 1970s when anything less than a 10K was considered a waste of time.

This may be the truest statement ever typed about pretty much every debate in the forums. This plus people twist the research and quotes to say what they *wish* they said, no matter what the actual quoted research or person was actually saying.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Nope. Not the case. At the level of lifting and cardio we're talking about here you'll be just fine. Go ahead, lift first and do your cardio after.

Yeah, I'm not doing "heavy" lifting. I am pretty much a beginner at free weights and the different muscles that are needed are so not strong yet. I've also not been exercising on a regular schedule and only just started back up this month after a few months off.

I'm a noob. My ultimate goal to just get back on the horse (literally), so super heavy lifting may not ever be for me.

"heavy" means heavy for you. 10 pounders can be heavy depending upon the exercise (YTLs) and how new you are. So being new doesn't mean you aren't "lifting heavy" it just means heavy for you isn't a big weight to others.

That said, I think you're also saying that you aren't lifting heavy for you. I wish you would. IMO, its just a waste of time not to. And heavy lifting gets you stronger faster, which is likely to get you back on that horse (literal or metaphorical, I cannot tell).
    I realize that. Keep in mind that yesterday was my first time with free weights. On the machines, I do at least triple the amount of weight. Sad to say, but 10 pounds for the dumbbell bench press (and incline) was heavy for me. I tried the 15 and could only do it three times.

I will obviously increase weight as I get stronger. That's not the issue. I was just speaking relatively (heavy to me probably won't be heavy to most). I believe (and I could be wrong) that at some point, a person will need to make a decision on how involved they want to devote to being a heavy lifter (and I'm thinking body-builder type) and that won't be me. It is not a passion of mine. That said, I have enjoyed it so far. So when I say heavy lifting, I do mean the 300+ pounders not what is heavy for me. :)

keep it up..sounds like you are headed in the right direction. Heavy lifting (whats heavy for you) is the way to go...doesnt have to be complicated...30 minutes...simple program...effective...doesnt mean you have to spend hours in the gym. You will be happy...trust me. If you would like to PM me I would be happy to chat.

Here is a really simple program...easy to understand...3 days a week...i usually do cardio/walk/yoga on the off days
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs
  • KatTheAmazon
    KatTheAmazon Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    off topic, why do people automatically say they avoid heavy liftng because they dont want to be a competitive bodybuilder? :laugh:

that's like saying i dont want to learn how to drive because i dont want to be a race car driver..

one thing has nothing to do with the other

I'm not saying that. I was just using it as an example since it is related. I am not going to avoid what is heavy for me because I don't want to be a bodybuilder. When I hear "heavy lifting" I see in my head a bunch of people lifting massive amounts of weight. I'm saying that probably won't be me because I am not going to dedicate my life to that.

For example, I ride horses. I will never have the caliber to be a 4 star eventer. That means I will probably not persue buying a $100,000+ upper lever horse and start riding with a BNT. I will be a lower level amature :D However, I will ride to the best of my ability and be open to learn new things.

It is the interwebs and things get lost in translation. I will lift heavy for me, but it won't necessarily be like the "heavy lifting" I see in my head.