Why Do We Continuously Choose Junk

Options
I feel like this is a valid question to ask. Sure, the answer is probably different for everyone but the excuse that it "tastes better" is a load of BS. I know I'm not alone when I say healthy food can be really really good. Some of the best tasting foods can be considered healthy. So why do we continuously go back to junk food? I think it's a variety of reasons, and some of them aren't all due to human nature.

Firstly, I think easiness is a factor. How many times have you gotten home from work or school and just not felt like making a proper meal, and settled for greasy fast food? And have you noticed that most "snack foods" are bite-sized? Sure, fruits and veggies are great tasting, good choices. But who wants to rinse, chop, peel, and cut when you can just open a bag of chips or a candy bar and it's ready to eat. No one wants to spend all that time preparing something that isn't even going to fill them up.

Another factor I think is cost. Who has been to the grocery store, ready to get some good healthy food, seen the price and just gotten annoyed with how expensive some of the things are? I'm going to be blunt, some people just don't make enough to be able to provide good food for their families constantly so they are forced to go with the 50 cent boxes of mac and cheese and the 5 for a dollar Top Ramen.

Another factor I think is that we don't know how to satisfy our cravings. Have you ever been doing so well, then you just had a hankering for something, and no matter how hard you tried to ignore it, it wouldn't go away? Then you finally just had to succumb to that evil, fat ferry that's been jabbing at your shoulder for hours. I feel like this is one of the biggest reasons we can't stop eating junk food. Once we get a craving, we get into that mindset of "I have to have this, nothing else will do, it has to be this." I will be the first to admit that this goes through my head several times a week, if not more.

The last factor I'm going to mention is that we as humans tend to compare things that should not be compared. A good example of this would be having to choose between a hot, steamy, cheesy delicious pizza, and a salad. I would be one of the many who would choose the pizza. However, if that same pizza were compared to a plate of spaghetti squash with a yummy tomato sauce, I would definitely think twice before choosing the pizza.

Are there more factors? Probably. Feel free to speak your mind about what you think. I would prefer politeness but if that can't happen for some reason I won't be offended by what you say.

Replies

• stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    i think self destructive behavior can have a lot to do with it... or some esteem problems where the subconscious believes it doesnt deserve the better things (they may think im already fat so why not)

and waht about emotional eaters? junk food is a problem there...
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    also our bodies havent changed much over the past thousands of years, so the fact that many of us have easily reliable access to food and dont have to work to get it has nothing to do with what our bodies look for.

thousands of years ago our ancestors had to work harder for food and would have times would food was not available at all for some time. so the way around this was for the body to store fat. this is also why high calorie, high fat sugary food tastes good to us.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    We have evolved to derive pleasure from sweet, fatty, and salty foods. This provided an evolutionary advantage when food supplies were limited. The same trait is now disadvantageous to those who have not learned to properly control their food intake, particularly given the ubiquity of cheap, calorie dense "junk" foods.
  • kmhenry84
    kmhenry84 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Its convenient and its addictive.
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I think there's also a comfort factor, at least there is for me: Sitting at home with a giant bag of delicious chips brings thoughts of relaxation, summertime, and indulgence; it makes me feel like I haven't a care in the world. Eating Chinese food with my boyfriend makes me feel close to him, as we cutely sip our green tea and slurp noodles. Flour tortillas make me feel at home, since homemade tortillas are what my mom does best.
    Everyone is different, of course, but I think many of us have this emotional relationship with "comfort foods". They make us feel a certain way, and we love it.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I think some of it really DOES taste good. I don't think that is always an excuse.

The peanut butter oreos I had today were delicious.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Because, much like many drunken ideas, it seemed like a good idea at the time!!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    We've evolved to enjoy bull**** food? Are you nuts? I attribute every bit of it to laziness, all the way from the Hot Pockets to the Shake N' Bake Chicken.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I don't think I am part of that 'we'. I never have much liked junk foods and I do enjoy cutting fruits and veggies.
    If I have a real craving I do eat just that, though. Nothing else will do. The more I try to appease it with substitutes, the worse it gets. BUT, I don't need 12 servings. One small square of good chocolate will do. (or whatever)
  • xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Because, much like many drunken ideas, it seemed like a good idea at the time!!

At least junk food doesn't always involve a walk of shame... ;)
  • fisherman987
    fisherman987 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I really do think that those of us who are overweight are actually addicted to certain kinds of food that stimulate our bodies and our brains to produce hormones and endorphines that temporarily make us feel comfortable, or normal. Just like a heroin junky who used to get high but now takes massive amounts of heroin just to avoid feeling horrible, we don't eat because we are hungry as much as because we have to keep the flow of sugar, starch, and fat flowing in order to feel "normal". Eating fruits, vegetables, and other healthy foods don't create the same chemical effect in our bodies so we don't like to eat them. They only satisfy hunger, but they don't satisfy our "need". I think the major hurdle to overcome is breaking our addiction to these kind of foods and not just losing weight. I think weight is only the consequence not the actual problem. One thing I do know, is I only really feel great when I am eating healthy and exercising. The rest of the time I am eating myself to death trying to feel better when I am always tired and lacking energy. This time around, I really hope to make a permanent change in how I use food. Good luck to us all. :happy:
  • ferrytrip
    ferrytrip Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    its cheap, its everywhere, it tastes good (or does till you know better).
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Many types of junk food actually include appetite stimulants in them; hence, by eating them, you actually crave more...
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have to agree about the price and lack of convenience of healthy food. It takes a lot of practice and budgeting to find healthy cheap stuff. The time is what really throws a wrench in the gears. It makes me feel a little neurotic, but every Wednesday (Wednesday = Sunday for me) I spend about an hour-sometimes more- doing food prep for the week. I buy large amounts of staple veggies like bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, celery, and zucchini. Then I chop them and put them in containers in the fridge. You want stir fry? Soup? Salad? Taco salad? Omelettes? Burger or sandwich toppings? BAM- it's all right there, all you have to do is open the tupperware. It's amazing how much you can increase your vegetable intake when they're available to you instantly.

I'm lucky because I like to cook and I don't have kids. I can definitely see preparing almost every meal from scratch seeming like a chore to someone who doesn't enjoy cooking. I can't even imagine trying to do what I do with a small child that needs lots of supervision.

I do get those cravings where nothing will satisfy me except that particular junk. Usually I'll eat as little of it as I can get away with, and only then after a hearty (and healthy) meal so I'm less likely to eat too much of it.

There are different factors for everybody, I think. Getting motivated and learning healthier habits seem to be what's worked for me.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    My understanding ( and I could be wrong) is the our sense of taste was meant to draw us to food that were beneficial to us. We like sweet because fruit and veggies have vitamins. Salt tastes good to is because we need it. Problem is, the food available today satisfies those senses, even seems to be better, without the nutritional benefit. Once upon a time the sweetest thing we could find had nutritional benefit. Now. Not so much. Same thing with fat.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    My understanding ( and I could be wrong) is the our sense of taste was meant to draw us to food that were beneficial to us. We like sweet because fruit and veggies have vitamins. Salt tastes good to is because we need it. Problem is, the food available today satisfies those senses, even seems to be better, without the nutritional benefit. Once upon a time the sweetest thing we could find had nutritional benefit. Now. Not so much. Same thing with fat.

There could definitely be something to this. It's not so much that our taste has evolved, but that the food manufacturers have exploited said tastes by tricking the mind, so to speak. It would explain a few things.

For example, the reason we always seem to crave more of a ****ty food after eating it, is because the body didn't get the nutrients from it that it was expecting.
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Price used to be a big one - it just seemed so cheap for a meal
    Convinence - and it fast

However, one thing I have realized, and this comes to restaurents too, is the perceived value. I am actually able to cook really good food that is healthy, and do it quickly, for low cost.

The problem, is my time to do so, so when I see things that are 'harder' or more time consuming to make myself, I feel that I am getting my moneys worth. This is the same at restaurants, I would look at a salad, and say, shesh, how long does that take to prepare, then go with the deep fried stuff because it was harder for me to do at home. I have really had to change what I consider 'value' for my money.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I spend about an hour-sometimes more- doing food prep for the week. I buy large amounts of staple veggies like bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, celery, and zucchini. Then I chop them and put them in containers in the fridge. Getting motivated and learning healthier habits seem to be what's worked for me.
    I do the same thing. Planning is key for successful weight loss and maintenance. We love junk food because it's everywhere, it's cheap (in dollar value not health value) and it's addictive. A craving is an addiction. But as with alcohol, knowledge is power.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how not lazy you are when your body isn't being stimulated by the junk food and grains. Cut all that stuff out and you'll think it's miraculous how different you feel. Instead of eating and snacking all day long you eat 2 or 3 times a day and are satisfied with that. When you do get hungry it's just a physical sensation of hunger (that actually feels rather nice) and not some overwhelming feeling like you need to eat right this minute -- you're hungry and you can eat but you can also wait until you make dinner. It's also amazing how much "will power" you suddenly have and can take or leave the junk food and it's not a big deal at all.

I'm not trying to push a low carb diet on anyone if that's something you're just not willing to consider -- I really don't care -- but when I read posts like this I can't help but want to tell people that you might not have to live like this. I follow a low carb, high fat whole foods diet and within about 3 weeks or so ALL of my obsessions with food, constantly planning snacks, waiting until the next meal and battling temptations were just gone like I never had a problem with food and overeating in my life. I have a normal appetite and I know others have had the same experience when eating a low carb diet.

It's been 41 weeks since I've joined MFP and I've only been following this diet for 17 weeks now but I can't imagine ever going back to the standard diet that's recommended for good health (which I followed for 24 weeks and battled with hunger every.single.day on). If anyone is interested this is the diet I follow which is completely free, no one is selling anything... there's not even ads on the site:

LCHF for Beginners
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    We have evolved to derive pleasure from sweet, fatty, and salty foods. This provided an evolutionary advantage when food supplies were limited. The same trait is now disadvantageous to those who have not learned to properly control their food intake, particularly given the ubiquity of cheap, calorie dense "junk" foods.

This^^

Cravings in and of themselves are a sign that your body is looking for a particular nutrient, junk foods are usually a prime source of sodium, carbs and fats. They're also easily accessible.