interested in heavy lifting

Options
I have been working out and doing weight machines but I really want to start doing free weights but i have NOO idea where to begin or if I'm doing it right or what I should be doing at each workout I'm a female 5'1" currently 194 and another question... am I not in shape enough to start heavy lifting? any tips or advice will really help thanks

Replies

• sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I would suggest either Stronglifts of New Rules or Lifting for Women. There is no 'in shape enough to start heavy lifting'. As long as there are no medical reasons you can't lift, you are in good enough shape to lift heavy. Just keep in mind that heavy is relative. What's heavy for one person is going to be different from what's heavy for someone else.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you can start now, look up strong lifts. it's compound movements . the good thing about stronglifts is that you start off light and gradually increase weight every single workout. for videos on how to perform the exercises look up mark rippetoe ad check out youtube videos he has where he's instructing proper form

start off light until you get the proper form down since you can really screw yourself up when working with heavy weights and not using proper form.
  • jwilson3787
    Options
    Thanks soo much!
  • jefedesalto
    jefedesalto Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am glad to see more women getting into lifting. It gives girls an awesome toned look. I tell my wife all the time she needs to chill on the spinning and hit the weights at least three times a week. I promise her she isn't going to end up looking like Arnold, just that she needs to find a suitable weight program designed for women and "Stronglifts of New Rules of Lifting for Women" is a great place to start.

My advice on top of that would be to grab a trainer next time your at the gym and get someone who is certified to watch you lift.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Jefe's advice is awesome. Get a trainer who can be with you there in person. Avoid form check videos like the ****ing plague. They assume that everyone's body works the same and has the same leverage points, which they do not.

With an experienced trainer, he will be able to watch you and guide you on things like leg placement, etc. After that, it's largely a matter of finding what works for you. Most of the record holding lifters used form that would send Rippetoe fanboys into seizures, but it obviously worked for them. :)

Best of luck to you.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am glad to see more women getting into lifting. It gives girls an awesome toned look. I tell my wife all the time she needs to chill on the spinning and hit the weights at least three times a week. I promise her she isn't going to end up looking like Arnold, just that she needs to find a suitable weight program designed for women and "Stronglifts of New Rules of Lifting for Women" is a great place to start.

My advice on top of that would be to grab a trainer next time your at the gym and get someone who is certified to watch you lift.

While I totally agree with you that its great to see more women lifting, there is absolutely no reason for us to do a 'women specific' program. The only difference between us and guys is that we usually have to go up in smaller increments and we stall out quicker due to lower testosterone and muscle mass. There are a lot of women on here alone that do Stronglifts for example - which is not a 'women's' program. I do Wendler - again, not a 'women's' program.

That being said, New Rules of Lifting for Women is a very popular program that a lot of people have had success with.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

While I totally agree with you that its great to see more women lifting, there is absolutely no reason for us to do a 'women specific' program. The only difference between us and guys is that we usually have to go up in smaller increments and we stall out quicker due to lower testosterone and muscle mass. There are a lot of women on here alone that do Stronglifts for example - which is not a 'women's' program. I do Wendler - again, not a 'women's' program.

That being said, New Rules of Lifting for Women is a very popular program that a lot of people have had success with.

QFT
  • raj83168
    Options
    Yup, grab hold of a good trainer to understand ways to achieve your goals. You could risk injury if you end up incorrectly lifting weights

But the satisfaction of a clean rep is amazing :D
  • sharfisher
    sharfisher Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am just exploring it too in a slightly intimidated way...if you have kindle on any device (iphone or ipad or smartphone -- or I guess a Kindle) -- you can go to the kindle e-book store and download a sample of "Starting Strength" aka 'Rippetoe' (the author). Sounds like the bible for beginning barbell training. The sample includes 3 of the 5 major types of lifts.

Personally I am thinking of doing something more like Stronglifts 5x5 but the technique for most of the lifts is explained very clearly in Starting Strength.

There are womens' groups on MFP for both NROL4W and Strongllifts 5x5

Sharon
  • jwilson3787
    Options
    thanks everyone appreciate all the advice
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Ditto StrongLifts 5x5 or New Rules for Women. New Rules is a good read, but I like the StrongLifts program better.
  • jefedesalto
    jefedesalto Posts: 154 Member
    Options

Please don't take what I said to mean women CAN'T lift the same as men. I'll be the first to tell youths there are women at my gym that make me look like a 9 year old little girl lol.
    I meant no chauvinism. To be perfectly clear, I meant most women, don't want to have power lifters body. My wife for example doesn't want to look like a power lifter. She prefers to look more like a swimmer. Everyone regardless of sex, has an ideal body type for themselves. That image that THEY want to see in the mirror.
    I am just happy that more women are focusing on weight lifting than have been in the past.
    I'll ask a lady for a spot every day of the week and twice on Sundays if I am lifting heavy. You go girl!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Please don't take what I said to mean women CAN'T lift the same as men. I'll be the first to tell youths there are women at my gym that make me look like a 9 year old little girl lol.
    I meant no chauvinism. To be perfectly clear, I meant most women, don't want to have power lifters body. My wife for example doesn't want to look like a power lifter. She prefers to look more like a swimmer. Everyone regardless of sex, has an ideal body type for themselves. That image that THEY want to see in the mirror.
    I am just happy that more women are focusing on weight lifting than have been in the past.
    I'll ask a lady for a spot every day of the week and twice on Sundays if I am lifting heavy. You go girl!

I still don't agree. I am not sure exactly what you mean by a powerlifter, but they are often not that lean (not always though). That is just a function of body fat. Also, professional power lifters eat a cr*p ton of food and train intensively. I do appreciate that you are not trying to be chauvinistic and appreciate you appreciating women that lift so am not trying to give you a hard time at all. I am just trying to clarify for women that read this post. Its just that there is no reason to lift differently than a guy. You can do strength, you can to hypertrophy or you can do endurance lifting - its the same for men and women - and depends on their goals.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

I still don't agree. I am not sure exactly what you mean by a powerlifter, but they are often not that lean (not always though). That is just a function of body fat. Also, professional power lifters eat a cr*p ton of food and train intensively. I do appreciate that you are not trying to be chauvinistic and appreciate you appreciating women that lift so am not trying to give you a hard time at all. I am just trying to clarify for women that read this post. Its just that there is no reason to lift differently than a guy. You can do strength, you can to hypertrophy or you can do endurance lifting - its the same for men and women - and depends on their goals.

Completely agree with Sara here.

I have been lifting "like a man" since high school now (total of about 4 years), and have just completed a bulk/cut cycle.

I look nothing like a powerlifter

092812190103.jpg
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I started Stronglifts 5x5 at home 2 weeks ago after just one week of doing Cathe Friedrich Muscle Max DVD as a primer... I haven't lifted weights in 14 years and in the last 3 weeks I've lost 1" off my waist and 1/4" of each thigh while my weight has remained exactly the same. I feel awesome! It's a super simple, yet progressive program that will see you gaining strength. Just be sure not to have too big a calorie deficit. I'm staying the same because I'm not really eating at a deficit but keep in mind that to build new muscle mass you have to eat at a surplus. You can only gain minimally from fat stores.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

There once was a maiden named Millie,
    Who was at the gym being silly.
    She loaded a bar,
    Lifted weight like a star!
    The fun stopped when she popped out a willie.
    :flowerforyou:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

She loaded a bar,

I :heart: you
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

She loaded a bar,

This is one of the first things I've read on here that made me laugh like hell in a good way.
  • kryslJackson
    Options
    Careful about picking just any trainer. Honestly, 90% of certified personal trainers out there no SQUAT (pun intended) about properly lifting. Find a trainer that has experience specifically in strongman/woman, powerlifting, and olympic lifting. As far as getting a "powerlifters" body as a female I want to say this. When I started powerlifting I ended up looking more feminine due to better shaped glutes and a better waist-to-hip ratio. Powerlifters don't necessarily hold more fat and women definitely cannot get "bulky"...that requires testosterone. As others mentioned a great book is "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe. It definitely covers proper lifting form and basic programming for beginners. You do not need a program designed specifically for women...the only difference is when you get more advanced the percentages of your lifts will vary slightly from a man's due to the variations of testosterone levels. If you have any more questions you can message me. I'm a competitive powerlifter and trainer.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Careful about picking just any trainer. Honestly, 90% of certified personal trainers out there no SQUAT (pun intended) about properly lifting. Find a trainer that has experience specifically in strongman/woman, powerlifting, and olympic lifting. As far as getting a "powerlifters" body as a female I want to say this. When I started powerlifting I ended up looking more feminine due to better shaped glutes and a better waist-to-hip ratio. Powerlifters don't necessarily hold more fat and women definitely cannot get "bulky"...that requires testosterone. As others mentioned a great book is "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe. It definitely covers proper lifting form and basic programming for beginners. You do not need a program designed specifically for women...the only difference is when you get more advanced the percentages of your lifts will vary slightly from a man's due to the variations of testosterone levels. If you have any more questions you can message me. I'm a competitive powerlifter and trainer.

wait i dont need a program designed specifically for women, does that mean i dont have to attach the weights to my fallopian tubes first before lifting them? you just blew my mind!!