Wellbutrin and weight loss?

Options
Just had a baby and doctor put me on Zoloft for Post Partum. Now I've switch to Wellbutrin and I've read about possible weight loss side effects. Anyone have any experience with this drug? Of course- the weight loss side affect is a welcome one!

Replies

• elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I began taking Wellbutrin about 3 weeks ago, and the appetite surpressing side effect hit me almost immediately. I took it about 7years ago and had the same experience. I literally went from being completely out of control eating one day, to recording everything I ate and having trouble eating more than 1000 calories a day the next. These past 3 weeks, I've had to push myself to eat enough... and I'm someone who could have easily consumed 4000 calories or more in a day just a month ago. I don't know how typical this reaction is, but it's a big releif to no longer be so preoccupied with the desire to eat.
    I see your post is 2 weeks old, I hope you are having good luck with it.
  • LuckyPoodle
    Options
    I have been on Wellbutrin immediate release for exactly 12 months, I'm down 50 pounds as of today and I haven't even tried!! It's amazing!
  • muffintop_nomo
    Options
    Hello!
    KellyGerstle I'm wondering how your experience with Wellbutrin went since this past July. I've just been prescribed Wellbutrin to help me quit smoking - which is a horrible habbit... but one of my big concerns was what always happens when I stop smoking. I start eating... and fast. Anyhow - how did it make you feel? Any noticeable side effects of note?

Hope everyone is well on this thread,

muffin_top_no_mo
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Wow ! So glad to hear this ! My dr has wanted me to go on it for over a year, but I have heard everyone complain of gaining weight so I've avoided it, trying to exercise my way through things, but with winter coming on ( love to hike) perhaps ill give it a try ! Thanks and good luck !
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Oh, by the way, does it effect your sleep ? I only get about 5 hrs as it is. Many anti-dep. keep me up at night.
  • Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I was put on it in 2002 for post traumatic syndrome. For me it caused weight loss (although that may have been partially from what I was going through at the time) and it kicked my sex drive into over drive. My husband loved it. lol
  • sweetkat75
    Options
    My doctor has prescribed it for me to curb my chocolate addiction. For my whole life, chocolate has been a problem for me. But the cravings and desire for it were eliminated right away. It is the one thing that kept me from losing weight. I was eating healthier other than that and exercising every day. ANd it was driving me up the wall to have no weight loss, or even weight gain. Since I started five weeks ago I have lost 3.5 kg. I weigh less than i have for the last year and half. Nice to have that kick start to boost my self esteem.