Maintain Weight

Options
I have reached my goal for weight loss. I am getting ready to adjust my calories to the recommended level for maintaining my current weight. However, I am a bit nervous as the new daily amount seems kind of high compared to what I am eating now. Any advice from those who are maintaining their goal weight?
Thanks

Replies

• almostatgoalweight
    almostatgoalweight Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations! You've done really well, no matter how much you've lost. I'm not at goal weight yet, but here's my plan: every day I weigh myself (in the morning) and take the lowest of the last 3 days. If that is below my goal weight, then everything is fine. But if it's not, then I don't have dinner. The reality of that is that I'll probably hover about 1kg less than goal weight so I have a buffer in case I gain a bit due to a heavy meal.

In terms of what you're eating, I'd suggest you *gently* add a small amount per week to your intake. Your body will take a while to recover from a reduced metabolism. Maybe increase it by 50 cal per week.
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Speaking from past experience, I would add 100 to 200 a day for a week, then weigh. If you lost, repeat. Repeat until you have the magic number. The scale will let you know. :smile:

Congrats! Can't wait to get there again.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations! You've done really well, no matter how much you've lost. I'm not at goal weight yet, but here's my plan: every day I weigh myself (in the morning) and take the lowest of the last 3 days. If that is below my goal weight, then everything is fine. But if it's not, then I don't have dinner. The reality of that is that I'll probably hover about 1kg less than goal weight so I have a buffer in case I gain a bit due to a heavy meal.

In terms of what you're eating, I'd suggest you *gently* add a small amount per week to your intake. Your body will take a while to recover from a reduced metabolism. Maybe increase it by 50 cal per week.

This is some extreme advice. Your weight can fluctuate several pounds during a day.

OP: gradually increase your calories over the next few weeks until you are at your maintenance goal. And keep up your activity! Around 50-100 calories a day,....you'll get used to it in no time.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I reached my goal weight about 3 weeks ago and I am having a hard time trying to figure it out. I am trying to lose 5 more pounds and stay within a 5 lb range. I back off on exercise and then I eat a little more. It seems I gain a few and then lose it when I go back to a strict diet. I keep a very close watch and weigh every day. I can gain 4 or 5 lbs in a weekend and then spend all week trying to lose it again.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I have been maintaining since March, even lost a pound or two. ! have been following mfp guidelines. at frst, it was really scary. I did gradually add the calories over a couple of weeks. If I want to splurge now, I just exercise a little more. Normally though, I do 45 min/4x/wk. When trying to lose, I did as much as 2 hrs 6x/wk. Too old to continue you that forever. Be happy to help, if you want to friend me. Good luck.
  • JMNealer
    JMNealer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for the advice and suggestions. I think I am going to take a little from everyone and add back slowly and keep one eye on the scale. Thanks again for taking time to post a reply and best of luck in your efforts
  • JMNealer
    JMNealer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Looking for some feedback. I am at or a little below goal weight. I have added calories back in but still losing just a little here and there. I am back to 2,000 calories a day and I hate to add more. What tweaks have you used to stabilize?

Thanks