Contraceptive pill - Cilest

Options
Hi all,

I just wondered if anyone is on the pill Cilest? I was on marvelon for ages and it suited me absolutely fine...but then i started exercising a LOT...from doing next to nothing, and eating extremely healthy and i started getting my period earlier than i should (i.e. before i finished my pill pack). So my doctor changed me to Cilest as he said Marvelon was not strong enough to control my periods so i needed something stronger.

I ran my first two pill packs of cilest on (the first one straight from marvelon to give me protection straight away and the 2nd pack because i was on holiday). I have been extra tearful since starting cilest but that has eased off in the last week....but i also got my period early again (i think due to weight gain..i have put on a lot of weight in the last month - purely due to overeating on holiday and in the few weeks since i've been back from holiday!). But i have experienced a general increase in appetite, sickness and generally not felt great since taking it (on my 7 day break now and feel much better!).

I just wondered if anyone had any experiences with cilest - good or bad. I am going to stick with it another month and see how i get on and see if my period sorts itself out!! If not..i'm going back to marvelon!!! xxx

Replies

• Anyone?!
  • cheliki
    cheliki Posts: 33
    Options
    I'm on Cerazette because my nurse said it could help me loose weigh, and at first it didn't suit me.

I was always on when I first took it even though she said it should make me stop. I had about a 5 days when I wasn't on.
    When I next went to her, she upped my dose to 2 pills of Cerazette a day.
    It seems to be working! (Touch wood).

I've never heard of Cilest..
  • Chrissieneave
    Chrissieneave Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I was put on Cilest many years ago to control my heavy periods! I had to come off as I started to gain weight! A few months after I came off it I started to lose weight, only to put it on again when I started to take it.

I've come off oral contraception many years ago, as gained weight twice while taking it. But as far as my periods went, I had them on time every time with no complications :/

I now just put up with my heavy periods, and have done for a few years. I find that Evening Primrose Oil helps me a little better.
  • Thank you all. Anyone else?! xxx
  • millyvanilli321
    millyvanilli321 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was on Cilest a while ago. My dr had changed my pill because I was having problems with my TOM too ('spotting' in between periods, sorry if that's tmi) and they said it would help regulate my periods more.

It didn't. lol. And my appetite increased too! Changed to another brand after a few months.

I'd say give it at least 3 months to see if it suits your body, and if you still don't feel right ask your dr what other pills are out there that could sort your problems. I'm currently on Mycrogynon, only started it 2 months ago. My first 7 day break was really painful and heavy, but after that it's gotten much, much better! I seem to be losing fine on it and no problems with periods coming early or in between breaks.

Hope that helps x
  • Hi, I was on Cilest a while ago. My dr had changed my pill because I was having problems with my TOM too ('spotting' in between periods, sorry if that's tmi) and they said it would help regulate my periods more.

It didn't. lol. And my appetite increased too! Changed to another brand after a few months.

I'd say give it at least 3 months to see if it suits your body, and if you still don't feel right ask your dr what other pills are out there that could sort your problems. I'm currently on Mycrogynon, only started it 2 months ago. My first 7 day break was really painful and heavy, but after that it's gotten much, much better! I seem to be losing fine on it and no problems with periods coming early or in between breaks.

Hope that helps x

Thank you very much!!! Yep i think my appetite has increased too but i can't tell if thats just from eating so much on holiday so i've stretched my stomach or whether it is the pill. I am back on track with diet this week so i'll see how i get on! thank you again xxx
  • Anyone else?! xxx
  • Bump :)
  • zen82
    zen82 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm on Cileste and love it, because I went through about 9000 other ones that were no good for me. I think a lot of it comes down to individual biochemistry - what suits one person won't suit another so well.
  • emmas42
    emmas42 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was on it for a long time a few years ago, and was totally fine with it. Ended up in cerazette which I hated! (I never settled on it and things were really unpredictable on it. It was nearly always TOM, put it that way...)
    Went back on Cilest and it was just as bad as the cerazette! I was quite shocked as I liked it so much the first time.
    Now on Microgynon and loving it.
    I'm back to my old self again.
    It might be perfect for you just as it was for me for so many years. Just keep trying until you find something that suits you.
  • Leamac83
    Leamac83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I used to take Yasmin, i heard it had something in it to control weight. I didnt gain weight on it, i found it helped me lose if thats possible and generally it was pretty good for me but it gave me some serious anger issues. I used to have a meltdown for at least 2 full days every month. And i mean meltdown! I cant get it now becasue aparently its being phased out. Guess there was too many angry bi*ches out there! :)
  • MissLotte
    MissLotte Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I tried various different mini pills after having to be taken off the comined pill. I loved the combined pill, 21 days of pills, 7 day break (usually would start and finish period in the 7 days). But as I suffer with focal migraines I could no longer take it due to risk of stroke.

Cilest was the first I tried and all it did was improve the frequency of my migraines, never settled down on Cerazette and eventually ended up on Femulen but it still never agreed with me. I would spot and have very infrequent cycles, I also put on weight but that probaly wasn't the pills fault!!

I gave up in the end but I am seeing the nurse again tomorrow about trying something different!

Good luck and I hope you find something that suits you and your situation soon. xx
  • Cathleen77
    Cathleen77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I know exactly what you mean!! I was on Alesse (AKA, Aviane) for 10 years and it worked great! No side effects or anything..... until about 5 months ago. It was then that I would have my period, then start my pill pack, and then about day 12 of my pills, I would start spotting, and the spotting would go right up until my next period (sometimes at which, just never came). This went on for a couple of months until I went to my doctor to see about it. She said it was normal and that I would just need to get on a stronger dosage (She put me on Marvelon (AKA Apri 28). When I fist began Marvelon, I felt sick to my stomach for the first couple of months. I take my piills at night, and I found that by morning, I would almost feel "hung over". I also found myself a little extra emotional. Now I know you said you switched from Marvelon to another pill, and I'm kind of opposite, but I think its perhaps just the change of hormone level that we both have/are experienced. Hope this helped!
  • aninn1126
    aninn1126 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm on Quasense and usually have troubles with weight gain on birth control. I've been on it for 6 months now and have noticed no weight gain or moodiness. It's the 3 month at a time sort of pill. The down side is that when I do get my period, I bloat up like a balloon! I suppose one week every 3 months is worth it!
  • Aww thanks guys. I have honestly tried SO many. I swear they either make me an emotional or angry mess or i put on weight/feel sick/bloated etc. I'll give this cilest another month (they say 3 months is the amount of time you should try it for!)...then if not i will think again!!! i hate going to the doctors too as they just seem to moan how i've tried so many already bla bla bla! xxx
  • I forgot to add hair falling out and night sweats to that list of side effects :( xxx
  • kage5678
    kage5678 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I used to take Yasmin, i heard it had something in it to control weight. I didnt gain weight on it, i found it helped me lose if thats possible and generally it was pretty good for me but it gave me some serious anger issues. I used to have a meltdown for at least 2 full days every month. And i mean meltdown! I cant get it now becasue aparently its being phased out. Guess there was too many angry bi*ches out there! :)
  • kage5678
    kage5678 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Ooopse try that again. My Doctor gave me a script for Yasmin today. I was on it years ago and it was good. I started back on the pill 2 months ago (trifeme which I was on years ago) put on 4kg in 3 weeks :( appetite increased hugely! Lost 4kg in my week of sugar pills and then put 1 on first week of active pills. Hoping Yasmin won't have the same affect, but will keep an eye out for angry ***** lady lol
  • sannsk
    sannsk Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    ...but then i started exercising a LOT...from doing next to nothing, and eating extremely healthy and i started getting my period earlier than i should (i.e. before i finished my pill pack).

Same problem with me. I've been taking Mycrogynon without problems for a couple of years now, but I've started exercising and eating healthy in september and now my period started 4 days before finishing the pack. Doctor says to see if it happens again next month, and if it does, they'll try for another pill. Unfortunately, anything heavier has caused me migraine attacks in the past...
  • [/quote]

Ooopse try that again. My Doctor gave me a script for Yasmin today. I was on it years ago and it was good. I started back on the pill 2 months ago (trifeme which I was on years ago) put on 4kg in 3 weeks :( appetite increased hugely! Lost 4kg in my week of sugar pills and then put 1 on first week of active pills. Hoping Yasmin won't have the same affect, but will keep an eye out for angry ***** lady lol
    [/quote]

Aww i know how you feel. I hate the pill!! I wish Yasmin worked for me but from what i remember it made me VERY angry!!! So annoying trying to find one that suits me! xxx