Elliptical machine workouts

Options
Wondering what other people are doing on the Elliptical? I do 40 minutes a day 5 days a week and burn about 400 calories a workout. My main goal is to burn fat. The machine all sorts of workouts, interval, cardio, heart rate, just wondering what will burn the most calories.

Replies

• TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    StairMaster
  • brealschaff
    Options
    I am interested to hear what people have to say as well! I do the elliptical for 30 minutes 5 days a week and burn about 415 calories each workout and I am getting BORED with it!
  • MrsZMartin
    MrsZMartin Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Intervals
  • Iron_Maiden
    Iron_Maiden Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I do the elliptical as well and have had much success with it in the past. I've also used it as a transition into running/jogging which I think is equally great! Good luck!
  • wateva1957
    Options
    I'm interested as well! Back on track. Friend me!
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I do Elliptial 2-3 times a week and now I have reached 55-60 minutes and it only starts getting better once you pass 30 minutes:) It is true its get boring, I have found the solution and take my bike out for the ride and burn even more calories than elliptical trainer!
  • BeSophisticate
    Options
    Elliptical is my go-to cardio workout. I burn at about the same rate.

Since my goal is cardio health, I use the built in HRM and the machine automatically adjust the resistance level to keep my heart rate in the target zone. My burn is consistently around 100 calories every 10 minutes. Of course, that's largely because I'm keeping my heart rate fairly consistent throughout. I have noticed, though, that my burn tends to increase as the level increases. For example, I'll burn slightly less if I peddle faster at a lower level than if I peddle slower at a higher level. However, my burn varies, sometimes significantly, from day to day even if I'm doing the same time/level. I've noticed if I try to workout tired, for example, my burn is lower no matter what.
  • monicamaz
    monicamaz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I usually do 30 min of Elliptical and 15 min of bike when I go to gym. When it is sunny outside, I do 60 min of fast walking/jogging. :)
  • gxdragon
    gxdragon Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am interested to hear what people have to say as well! I do the elliptical for 30 minutes 5 days a week and burn about 415 calories each workout and I am getting BORED with it!

To avoid getting bored with my routine I constantly rotate my workout. One of the best pieces of advice a friend gave me at the gym was, "Do what you feel". Instead of forcing myself to stick to a set routine all the time. Sometimes I'll walk into the gym and I'll feel like doing a boxing routine or the tough mudder workout... That's what I'll do. If after I'm done and I don't feel like I've done enough I'll add more to the workout. Boredom will lead to less and less visits to the gym. I'd rather do something than nothing to stay interested. Me and my friend (owner of an MMA gym) used to go out in the parking lot and push his truck around the lot, throw tires, carry buckets of concrete... to keep from getting bored. Mix it up!
  • Iron_Maiden
    Iron_Maiden Posts: 326 Member
    Options

To avoid getting bored with my routine I constantly rotate my workout. One of the best pieces of advice a friend gave me at the gym was, "Do what you feel". Instead of forcing myself to stick to a set routine all the time. Sometimes I'll walk into the gym and I'll feel like doing a boxing routine or the tough mudder workout... That's what I'll do. If after I'm done and I don't feel like I've done enough I'll add more to the workout. Boredom will lead to less and less visits to the gym. I'd rather do something than nothing to stay interested. Me and my friend (owner of an MMA gym) used to go out in the parking lot and push his truck around the lot, throw tires, carry buckets of concrete... to keep from getting bored. Mix it up!

YEP! SO important!!!!
  • dphipps
    Options
    I actually just started using the elliptical and find it extremely hard! I can not go past 5 or 10 minutes on level 1! (with a few rest periods), is this normal? I walk/run almost daily (4 miles) and find it so easy compared to this wicked machine!!
  • PicklePlum
    PicklePlum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I do intervals.
    1. Fast as I can on moderate resistance.
    2. Normal mode
    3. Highest resistance I can
    4. Repeat.

It's not my favorite workout but I do them for variety.
  • xcduke
    xcduke Posts: 1
    Options
    One of my favorites is Musical Intervals. I'll open my iPhone to the songs list and I'll pick a song for a rest interval (50-70RPMs) and a new song for a hard interval (80-110RPMs). Great cardio interval workout, but also keeps the workout fresh with new music that you might have forgot about. 6-8 intervals usually means a 30-45 minute workout depending on the length of the songs you choose.
  • Deelishous
    Deelishous Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree with xcduke. Change the songs on your playlist. Switch up the order or add new songs that you know the words to so you can sing-a-long without watching the clock. And usually there are different types of ellipticals at the gym. There are the ones that have your arms incorporated in your work out and then there are the stationary ones that use no arms at all but give you a steady incline. If those options are available, I would also switch up your machine. Lastly, switch directions with each song or every other song; and with each directional switch, increase your level or incline. You're using different muscles with different directions and gives you something different to do! :o)
  • jaitken_22
    jaitken_22 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I think you should vary your workouts so you don't get bored. Being bored will make you feel less interested in exercising. I usually watch the tv to keep me distracted, but don't bring headphones unfortunately to get sound. Bringing your iPod can take your mind off your workout, get something catchy on!

I have been using a personal trainer recently at the gym where she has given me the following programme:

Treadmill - flat run for 6 minutes (I do about 8.5km p/h) / then 4 minutes / then 2 minutes
    Eliptical - level 3 for 3 minutes trying to reach 80RPM / then 2 minutes / then 1 minute
    Bike - level 3 for 6 minutes trying to reach 100RPM / then 4 minutes / then 2 minutes
    Rower - 500m or more in 3 minutes / then 2 minutes / then 1 minute

I have been told each time that I do this I should improve my distance so I always focus on that!

So for example, I would start with the 6 mins treadmill, 3 mins eliptical, 6 mins bike, 3 mins rower, REST, then begin at the treadmill again and do the next part, then rest again, then the last one. I also add a bit of strength/weight training as well and stretch at the start and end. It takes about 90 mins and for myself I burn on average 1000 cals for the entire workout. Each person is different though, so you could always do something similar to suit what you are needing to do with your fitness.
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is my fave machine as it gives a full-body workout, and you can easily set the resistance and decide which muscles to focus on more that day based on your weight distribution and such.....Generally I go for 45-48 mins, with as much resistance as I can steadily handle, with intervals of 30 secs every few mins (currently Level 16 with Level 18 intervals).

After minute 30, I switch to the "Random" setting and go on Level 16 or 17 so it does the work for me (changing resistance levels) and I go for speed/cardio and resistance work focusing for arms one minute, and legs/glutes the next. Keeps it interesting.

I don't do a lot of strength work (10lb dumbells at home and the odd BodyPump class at my gym) so the more resistance I use the better...and definitely use this as part of a "strength" program.

.....this is also when I watch the most TV, and catch up on the news during the day ;-)
  • Fitmiss07
    Options
    I read a pretty interesting article the other day saying the fat burning zone on treadmills and ellipticals is not the most effective for actually burning the greatest amount of fat. Here is the article if you're interested http://www.nordictrackcoupons.com/blog/is-the-fat-burning-zone-a-myth/

But I do intervals on the elliptical, I've heard they are a great way to burn fat and calories in the quickest amount of time!
    Here's two of my favorites http://www.fitsugar.com/30-Minute-Elliptical-Workout-Intervals-5462832 and http://www.ellipticalcoupons.com/exercise/hiit-elliptical-workout-for-fat-loss/

Good luck to you!
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I try to get to the elliptical twice a week if not more, I did two 20 minute sessions last night which, according to the elliptical readouts, totaled 613 calories and 5.07 miles.

Fairly intense runs, first was three minutes at level 14 followed by 1 minute of level 16, second run was three minutes of 15 followed by three minutes of 16.
  • NickLavato
    Options
    Intervals, By far and away are better than just using the machine at a constant pace. I do 10 min warm up, 20 min of 1 min hard as I can go 1 min med pace, 10 min cool down. 40 min total. If you have a heart rate monitor, watch it for 30-45 min after working out constant and then watch it the same after intervals. Your heart rate continues to rise and fall after the intervals making the workout last longer, while resting! Its free workout time :)
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I do 50 minutes of HIIT on the elliptical 6 days a week. I typically burn 500-600 calories doing it. It does get boring though. Mine is where I can see my tv so I watch tv while sweating my *kitten* off. Nothing worse than getting stuck on the elliptical for 50 minutes and a bjork concert comes on!