New Rules Of Lifting

Options
I have just bought New Rules of Lifting For Women. I am amped top start, but am PETRIFIED that the people in the gym are going to look at me and think "who is this fat chick who thinks she can lift anything?".
Going to start on Thursday , for two reasons:1. I do Bootcamp on Tuesdays. 2. It gives me time to completely read the book and to go back over sections I was unsure of.

Please wish me luck, and if you have any tips to survive the intimidating weights area, please feel free to share them!:wink:

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    There's a group for NROL4W here where you'll find lots of other ladies following this plan:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-

As for tackling the weight room I prefer going early in the morning when it's a bit quieter. I'm now in a routine where I always see the same people in their when I am. They get on with what they're doing and I get on with what I'm doing. I am always the only girl in there but it doesn't bother me. I just end up feeling sorry for those working away on the elliptical for an hour every morning - I could think of nothing more boring. Lifting is amazing. I only wish I'd discovered it sooner!
  • gman6173
    gman6173 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just ran across this. Don't feel intimidated at all. Most people that are in the weight area are doing their own thing. You may even find that most will be willing to help you out or answer any questions. We all start out sometime. See if your gym has a trainer or if a staff member can go over the correct mechanics. Otherwise don't worry!! Just go do what you do.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Just ran across this. Don't feel intimidated at all. Most people that are in the weight area are doing their own thing. You may even find that most will be willing to help you out or answer any questions. We all start out sometime. See if your gym has a trainer or if a staff member can go over the correct mechanics. Otherwise don't worry!! Just go do what you do.

yep. exactly this! I asked a trainer to help me with my form and acquaint me with all the various weights and bars and such. If you can get someone to walk you through it you might feel a little more comfortable. Good luck and enjoy! I LOVE lifting!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The gym is like the beach. Just about everyone is more concerned about what they're doing and how they look, than what other people are doing and how other people look.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I am a size 14 UK and I lift more than some of the men...please do not let anyone or your own thoughts intimidate you...everyone started somewhere...people in the gym generally don't judge, I promise, I have allsorts in my gym from the grunting steroid using geezer to the really overweight older person...we are all there for one purpose to exercise, lift and try and look and feel better...good on you and keep feeling excited and just do it! Loads of us have and we love it!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    The gym is like the beach. Just about everyone is more concerned about what they're doing and how they look than, what other people are doing and how other people look.

Good point, lol. I honestly think if I was a guy lifting, I would have more respect for the women lifting, then the ones who stay on the treadmill for an hour. Not that theres anything wrong with doing cardio, but lifting is more important IMO. Just get in there. You'll be an old pro in no time. :wink:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Fake it until you feel it. go in there as if you belong and stop being worried about what other think or do. I was a 4'11'' fat chick when I first went into the boy part of the gym and nobody made me feel like i didn't belong there
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    One need not be female to be concerned about what others may think at the gym.
    I used to give a 5#17. But now I don't. I just do my own thing. I worked with a trainer for a while to get a good kick start and understand proper form.
    Funny thing is, the ones that seem most concerned about how they appear to others are the ones with the worst form trying to push more weight than they could using proper form.
    I focus only on what I have control over. I don't waste mental energy worrying about what others think. :noway:
  • Sick_Beard
    Sick_Beard Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I have just bought New Rules of Lifting For Women. I am amped top start, but am PETRIFIED that the people in the gym are going to look at me and think "who is this fat chick who thinks she can lift anything?".
    Going to start on Thursday , for two reasons:1. I do Bootcamp on Tuesdays. 2. It gives me time to completely read the book and to go back over sections I was unsure of.

Please wish me luck, and if you have any tips to survive the intimidating weights area, please feel free to share them!:wink:

You are your own worst enemy when it comes to judging your body, trust me the fitter people in the gym admire you for at least trying to better yourself.

I love walking over and introducing myself and if they are open to advice I would gladly give it to them...
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    So, I basically live by the basic premis that if you act like you belong some where people will assume that you belong there (no matter if you feel like you belong there or not). You jump in and own it and no one will question if you actually do.
  • gloriapiz55
    gloriapiz55 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm reading it too, can't wait to get started!
  • FirefitMike
    FirefitMike Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Nothing sexier than a woman lifting weights.
  • gxdragon
    gxdragon Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am amped top start, but am PETRIFIED that the people in the gym are going to look at me and think "who is this fat chick who thinks she can lift anything?".

I got this far. Who cares what people think?!? Do what's best for you!
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    So, I basically live by the basic premis that if you act like you belong some where people will assume that you belong there (no matter if you feel like you belong there or not). You jump in and own it and no one will question if you actually do.
    Excellent advice.
  • heidimaggott78
    Options
    Thanks everyone, for your kind words!

I am going to go in there and act like I own the place (after asking someone where to find what I need)!

You are all awesome! Thanks again!
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump