Low Fat Milk

Options
So one of my favorite foods is cereal and milk. I eat pretty much any kind of cereal and 2% milk, but these calories add up quick. I do not like skim milk, so that's out. HG suggests Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze. I think it also comes in Chocolate flavor. Anyway, it has 40 calories per cup. You can go to this website to see everything HG says about it http://www.hungry-girl.com/week/weeklydetails.php?isid=1278 Silk Light Soy Milk is also suggested. I haven't tried either, so what do you guys think? I'm leaning towards Almond Breeze, but still not sure yet. Has anyone tried it?

Replies

• kellycrow
    Options
    I know a lot of folks who swear by almond milk. I have to stick with rice milk (don't like the soy) because I have a tree nut allergy... booooo!!!!!
    unsweetened rice milk has about 45 calories as well... (the Whole Foods Brand.. 365)
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    I shaved cals by dropping from 2% to 1%... if you don't drink it in a glass, you don't notice a difference.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    It is good not a fan of the chocolate but it is a matter of taste preference... Overall I'm still a fan of low-fat goat's milk... :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,112 Member
    Options
    I love unsweetened almond milk. I stopped using regular cow's milk, though I still eat dairy-yogurt. The almond milk is not only lower calorie and less sugar, but eliminated some saturated fat from my daily diet. I like it (taste-wise) better than soy milk. But I buy whatever is cheapest - Trader Joes has the best price on Pacific Unsweetened Almond Milk.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,112 Member
    Options
    Less sat fat!..........cuz then I can eat more cheese :grumble: :love:
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,734 Member
    Options
    I shaved cals by dropping from 2% to 1%... if you don't drink it in a glass, you don't notice a difference.
    I don't even notice the difference drinking it in a glass. I love my 1% milk!
  • amy_marie
    amy_marie Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful tips! I'm goin to the grocery store today, and I think I'm gonna try the Almond Breeze. I'll let yall know what I think :smile:
  • jackeezqueen
    Options
    Here is a site on how to make your own almond milk....sounds pretty easy...:)

http://www.noveleats.com/drinks/raw-homemade-almond-milk/
  • ambo1544
    ambo1544 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I drink ALOT of milk. I started with 2 % and now I am down to skim milk. I have to say I don't even like 2 % anymore but i still feel like I am getting way to many calories with the skim milk. So I read on HG website about the Almond Breeze milk and had to try it since it is only 40 calories. I tried it this weekend and have to say, with me being a huge milk drinker, I actually really liked it. It even is alittle bit better than skim milk because its alittle thicker and has a hint of a vanilla taste. Its just getting used to drinking somthing different.

can't wait to hear how you like it!
  • amy_marie
    amy_marie Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you like it! I still have not tried it yet, but I will asap :smile: I'm sure it's great! Thanks for the feedback!
  • lwebsmfp
    lwebsmfp Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I also started out on 2% milk and dropped down to 1%. A few weeks ago I dropped down to Skim and it hasn't bothered me a bit. I am curious about the Almond Milk though so I'm going to look for it next time I'm out.
  • kelli_panzera
    Options
    Silk light vanilla is good with cereal, but 8th continent light vanilla is AWESOME with cereal!! and less calories.
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    I personally like lactaid fat free milk. It is thicker than regular fat free milk and I only use it for making sugar free pudding and in my cereals. I don't like the flavored soy, almond, or anything else and I am lactose intolerant so for me the best choice is Lactaid.
  • jrr7
    jrr7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I personally have found Super Skim milk to work well for me. It is essentially the same as skim milk, but it has been processed so that it is thicker and tastes like 2% milk. I think it even has more protein than regular skim milk. It has about 80 calories a cup.