obesity hyperventilation syndrome

Options
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity_hypoventilation_syndrome

Has anyone on here been diagnosed with obesity hyperventilation syndrome? I am worried that hubby is suffering from this. It's caused by low CO2 levels in the blood. Symptoms are: shortness of breath, daytime drowsiness, hypertension, ankle swelling and abdominal swelling due to fluid retention.

I know he should see a doctor but he refuses unless it continues or gets worse. He hates going to the doctor. He is 70 yrs old and still has about 80 lbs to lose. He has lost 30 lbs but it seems like his ab fat has shifted lower and is restricting his breathing. Now I'm thinking this may be the abdominal fluid retention I read about. I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen this happen?

Replies

• kmem54
    kmem54 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi,

First of all, congrats to your husband for losing 30 pounds! That's a great start and I wish him continued success.
    I'm just replying to your post about OHS -- about a year ago it was discovered that my oxygen levels were low -- averaging in the very low 90's but dropping into the 70's when I slept. After a bunch of tests, it turns out that I'm a shallow breather so even though I don't have sleep apnea, I was put on a cpap machine to help my oxygen levels at night. I do feel better during the day but still need to use oxygen therapy at times during the day. I understand what your husband feels about seeing doctors, but really, it is the best thing to do in order to prevent things from snowballing and getting worse. BTW, I'm 57 and struggling through this whole weight loss thing too. What a journey, huh?
    I wish you both luck!
    --Kathy
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options

Has anyone on here been diagnosed with obesity hyperventilation syndrome? I am worried that hubby is suffering from this. It's caused by low CO2 levels in the blood. Symptoms are: shortness of breath, daytime drowsiness, hypertension, ankle swelling and abdominal swelling due to fluid retention.

I know he should see a doctor but he refuses unless it continues or gets worse. He hates going to the doctor. He is 70 yrs old and still has about 80 lbs to lose. He has lost 30 lbs but it seems like his ab fat has shifted lower and is restricting his breathing. Now I'm thinking this may be the abdominal fluid retention I read about. I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen this happen?
    At age 70 and 80 lbs overweight I'd worry more that it is Congestive Heart Failure. Make him a doctor's appointment and make him go.
  • CINDYRN33
    CINDYRN33 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    This could be so many different things ranging from being overweight to congestive heart failure. it is hard to know for sure. If you ar questioning his co2 levels they can be tested with a simple blood test. If he does not want to go to the doctor you can't force him. Good for him losing 30 lbs! He is on the right path for sure. You need to explain to him that the high blood pressure alone can have deadly consequesnces and that he really needs to go to the dr. Good luck to ya!
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options

Those are all symptoms of sleep apnea.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I agree it sounds more like sleep apnea, which usually affects people who are overweight.
    Obesity hyperventilation syndrome doesn't sound nearly as serious as the other myriad of things this could be a symptom of. He really needs to go to the doctor ASAP. Please don't diagnose this yourself.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Being that overweight at 70 years old- this is a health emergency. He needs a doctor not company. Other ppl with this isnt going to help or answer any questions for you. He needs a diagnosis and help asap. Obesity isnt comfortable - and sometimes its dangerous. If he wont go to the doc- you may want to go just to talk and see if there are any words of wisdom the doc has to make him come in. The doc on the biggest loser sure seem to have a way to make ppl take control of their lives. Maybe he needs some tough love.
  • ramonasowner
    ramonasowner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You need to take him to the doctor. I agree it could be congestive heart failure. Potentially very serious.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Give him a choice... make an appointment and go see the doctor or the next time he's short of breath you're calling 911.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of your replies, sorry it's taken so long to get back here. We finally went to the doc.Turns out he has non-hodgkins lymphpma, slow growing variety. After 9 days in the hospital he's home and on oxygen. The breathing difficulty was due to fluid around his lungs which has was drained several times in the hospital and has improved with his first chemo. He had also built up a lot of fluid in all of his tissues and with strong diuretics lost 15 lbs of fluid. After the chemo treatments he lost his appetite and says everything tastes bad, so now the issue is getting him to eat enough. His prognosis is very good and he should have a lot of good years ahead.