Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

P90X + HRM/heart rate thoughts?

I recently invested in a heart rate monitor (with chest strap) and used it during the P90X KenpoX workout. For over half of the work out it said that my heart rate was above my target range (from the bottom of the fat burning zone to the the top of the Aerobic zone: 65%-85% of maximum heart rate). Specifically, it hung out at around 89-93% quite a bit. However, I wasn't feeling wasted or like my heart was beating so hard that I need to stop (as occasionally happens when I push particularly hard in Plyometrics).

So, my questions are three:
1) Does this sound like a HRM error (given that I didn't feel like I was pushing overly hard)?
2) Is working out with a heart rate above the 85% aerobic zone problematic? (not shooting for it, but just letting it go if it happens)
3) The HRM said I burned 930 kCal in the workout... this seems unreasonably high... should I just log it as 396 as seen on another P90X thread?

I'd prefer to push as hard I can, but if there's a good reason not to let your heart rate go above 85% I can scale back.

Stats: male, 29yrs, 243lbs, 6'0", week 3 of P90X, max heart rate: 191 (220-29)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

(edited for grammar)

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Have you accurately entered your stats (age, weight, etc) into the HRM? Is it one that has a calibration sequence to workout your VO2Max? If you've got it all set-up right (and it's an ok HRM), then it's probably not too far off.....

I'd burn about 350-400 for this workout and I'm 5" 7', 144 lbs, 38 y.o. and in good shape. Sounds like you could burn 650-900 given you age/height/weight....
  • amckenny
    amckenny Posts: 22 Member
    Thanks Jimmmer,

It's a pretty low-end HRM (SportLine Duo 1010) due to budget restrictions, but I'm not sure whether it qualifies as an 'ok HRM' or not (I'm a HRM rank newbie). However, the calibration is correct (sex, age, weight, and height are all that are possible to enter).

Do you have any thoughts on whether it is acceptable to work out with a heart rate > 85% maximum?
  • amckenny
    amckenny Posts: 22 Member
    bump
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    doubt you burned that many calories and assuming no heart conditions, it is unlikely you were maxing out that long.

low end HRM's are pretty lame. either get a polar or if you cant afford it, learn how to take your own rate with the wrist 10 second method