eating at amusement parks

Options
i'm going to an amusement park in a few weeks and i don't really know what to eat for meals..it seems like most of the food at amusement parks are fried and have loads of calories..
any suggestions for healthy eating?

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    my parents always made us leave disneyland at lunchtime and go get food off-campus LOL then we re-entered and finished our day
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    Pack a cooler with smart foods. You can bring in snacks like granola bars and baggies of trail mix in a purse or small backpack.
  • pianoteacherevan
    pianoteacherevan Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You might be able to find a salad bar or made to order sandwiches.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    The great thing about amusement parks is that most of them have lockers you can rent. Or you can even use your car trunk for this. PACK A COOLER! That way you have control over everything you eat. Disneyland sells straps that hook up to bottles. I found this wonderful & always kept it on me to lug around my water bottle, hands free. With that kind of power in your hands, why bother eating greasy slimy park food? Well... maybe one little ice cream cone for behaving all day won't hurt ;)
    Besides, getting away from the park for an hour or so will really help you feel fresh & ready to attack it again. Oh, and the packing a cooler idea: CHEAPER! You'll be able to save a lot of money by not wasting it on overpriced park food.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    can you go on their website and see what foods they have ? I would pack up trail mix, a apple, water bottles, Maybe a turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread with lite mayo and mustard so the bread doesn't go suggy.. Plus bringing your own food will save you so much money you can use that money towards something else at the park... Also if you like buy a Pedometer ($7 at walmart) and wear it for the day you'll be shocked how many calories you burn...
  • EternalLife
    EternalLife Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Also if you like buy a Pedometer ($7 at walmart) and wear it for the day you'll be shocked how many calories you burn...

I was about to say this :smile: You can walk miles around somewhere that big without really even noticing!
  • newnormal2010
    Options
    The great thing about amusement parks is that most of them have lockers you can rent. Or you can even use your car trunk for this. PACK A COOLER! ...

Besides, getting away from the park for an hour or so will really help you feel fresh & ready to attack it again. Oh, and the packing a cooler idea: CHEAPER! You'll be able to save a lot of money by not wasting it on overpriced park food.

I agree! We went to Disney (3 adults, 1 child, 1 baby) several years ago. After eating lunch there once, we bought a cheap, styrofoam cooler at a local grocery store and packed lunches. At Disney, there are some pretty nice sit-down restaurants for dinner. These were, we felt, worth spending money on. Lunches weren't! We weren't counting calories back then, so that wasn't even the issue. Even if you're flying to your destination, buy yourself a cheap cooler and just abandon it at the hotel, (time-share, whatever) when it's time to go home.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    You might be able to find a salad bar or made to order sandwiches.

Some parks offer sandwiches and salads these days, thank goodness. My parents work for Disney World, I've probably spent 6+ months altogether on Disney Property in my lifetime so far. When we go to the parks as a family they always go right for the craziest "fried this n that" and french fries, so I learned where to find sandwiches, fresh(and fast) lamb dishes with veggies, even light pasta dishes. It takes more time to find, but they have great information now, books, magazines, etc, that actually highlight amusement parks and their healthier food alternatives and where to find them. A few online searches would probably give you some great info! :smile:
  • jaci232
    jaci232 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    thank you all so much! these are some great ideas and i'm going to definitely make use of them!

440428.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • no_worries
    no_worries Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I went to Disneyland for my birthday this year and they had a lot of healthy foods. So if that is where you are going, you don't have to worry too much.