are there any 70 somethings out there??

I've noticed that most of the pics and postings here are basically a younger crowd. .Seniors have some different issues when it comes to losing weight....agreed? Please post your thoughts....if there are any of you out there

Replies

• farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Not quite 70 until next April but I expect I am similar in some ways

The only issues I have are physical exercise, OK in small doses but jogging, fell walking, hours in a gym are out for me. So it is food intake only that is my determining factor

That said, there are plenty of 70 plus that do physical exercise, Sir Ranulph Fiennes is my age, and he is setting out to walk across the Antarctic this coming Southern winter. He has already done it in Southern summer so age is not always a hindrance

Also climbed Everest a couple of years back

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranulph_Fiennes

PS, just noticed, he is a year younger than me, that must explain it :wink:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    I have a few people on my friend list that are in their 60's so feel free to peruse my list if that helps you! That said, I would assume you are already in contact regularly with a doctor, but in the event that you are not, I would consult one before making any major lifestyle changes! Good luck!
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    My Dad is lurking on my friends list here, he isn't actively logging his food but he is using a fitbit
    to help him loose weight, he's had four stents fitted so he is carefully monitored as to how much he can
    do.
    He is a town councellor so he does live a fairly active lifestyle, his wife and him took on my two girls (5 & 3) for the
    six week summer holidays so I could be a gamesmaker at the olympics.
    He'll be 75 in a couple of weeks.
  • Oh, thank heavens I'm not alone! Being female, there are some other hormonal issues that can factor in. I am quite active and go to the gym 5 days a week, some cardio, weights, not high intensity but right for me. I have a tread desk at home and try to do an hour walkig while I surf the web.
    unfortunately I injured my shoulder so have not been able to go to the gym for 2 months. Not good physically or mentally. Hopefully, soon.
    Thanks for the positive replies. Hope we can stay in touch. I'm a newbie, only doing the program since last Thurs. Can't wait till my first weigh-in!
  • BobbieInCA
    BobbieInCA Posts: 102 Member
    Just found your posts on MFP. I can empathize with someone in our age group who loves to exercise, but sometimes can't. I've had something going on in my lower back & legs since January, and really miss my exercise classes, Zumba, and dancing. A little walking is all I can handle, but have been going to physical therapy, and had an MRI on Monday, so now we'll know what's going on.
    This site has really helped me. I'm at my 'happy weight', but have to watch my snacking. Loved your comment about peanut butter...Once I bought it for a Thai recipe and found myself eating out of the jar. I put dish soap in it and threw it out! Now I only have it if there are lots of calories left at the end of the day, and measure carefully.
    I am a "young" 72 in California.

Bobbie
  • raleywpr
    raleywpr Posts: 7 Member
    Hello, I am on a life time journey and have no plans to stop... Wish you well and here if i can ever encourage and support your journey also... Have a blessed day