Hi from NYC!

Options
CoachReddy
CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
I've been using MFP for a while, but just found these boards today - how awesome!

My name's Andrew, and I'm a small guy. 5'7" 135 pounds. Was 125 a few months ago, but I've been working to gain size and it's been going great! I know that's not what you all wanna hear, but listen, whether we want to lose weight or gain weight, we all want a change right? So we're in the same boat! :)

I'm a professional actor and fitness coach, starting the process towards getting my certifications. But in the MEANTIME, I want to compete on American Ninja Warrior, so that's my new goal! I train with P90X and other programs at home 5 days a week, and 1 day a week I do crossfit, and 1 day a week I rock climb to work on my forearm and grip strength. I'm also obsessed with nutrition, and I follow a near-paleo diet (cheat with whole wheat bread and pasta, however I only buy brands with ingredients I can pronounce!). But no dairy for me!

So that's me in a nutshell - I'm really excited about getting to know some folks on here, seems like an incredibly helpful place! Any other New Yorkers in the house??

Andrew

Replies

• baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    brooklyn checking in!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Type1Rachelle
    Options
    BROOKLYN in tha hizzouse!

I'm new here actually... I'm the opposite of you - mostly plant based diet, lots of carbs (mostly fruit), very little fat... but I like endurance stuff quite a bit and am seriously lacking in the upper body strength department (noodle arms). Would love to work on that after the marathon on 11/4, right now I'm just looking to drop another 5lbs or so before the race.
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Right here! - Erik - 40 - I am approaching what was "goal" weight and trying to tone and work a little more on nutrition.
    My trainer actually told me today he thought I didn't need to lose more just hone in on nutrition and keep up the work outs.
    (5'10, 166lbs - down from 194lbs)
    I have been doing strength training 3x per week since July and decent amount of cardio (since April) on most days.
    Hectic life, but determined to stay the course on all fronts.
    Congrats on your results!
    Will send you an add if that works for you (no worries). Inspiring results you got going!
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I'm new here actually... I'm the opposite of you - mostly plant based diet, lots of carbs (mostly fruit), very little fat... but I like endurance stuff quite a bit and am seriously lacking in the upper body strength department (noodle arms). Would love to work on that after the marathon on 11/4, right now I'm just looking to drop another 5lbs or so before the race.

that's awesome! good luck! i used to live in Chicago and some friends were on facebook posting about finishing the Chicago Marathon. Got me thinking it may be something I wanna do one of these days. bucket-list kind of thing.
  • babyhazelz1
    babyhazelz1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Used to live in chicago too. Born and raised. what part?
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Rogers Park - went to school @ Loyola and stayed for a bit after. :)
  • Violetta86
    Violetta86 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    From CT, live in NJ, went to Fordham in the BX!
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    From CT, live in NJ, went to Fordham in the BX!
    fordham rd is CRAZY!
  • Type1Rachelle
    Options

that's awesome! good luck! i used to live in Chicago and some friends were on facebook posting about finishing the Chicago Marathon. Got me thinking it may be something I wanna do one of these days. bucket-list kind of thing.

You should consider the NYC marathon! New York Road Runners (nyrr.org) has this 9+1 program - if you're a NYRR member ($30 a year?) by January and run 9 of their qualifying races (anything from 1 milers to 5Ks, 10Ks, and half marathons) and volunteer for one of them, you get guaranteed entry to the following year's marathon. You could do it in 2013 for entry to the 2014 marathon. I did it in 2010, ran the marathon last year, did it in 2011 (was good practice for the marathon), running it this year, and have done it this year too in order to run the marathon next year. It's a really great option to get more NYers to run it - it's such a huge international race, I love seeing as many NYers as possible run it! :)

Thing is, you'd probably thin out quite a bit... aesthetically I like my body more when I lift heavy, but it does nothing for my endurance goals :-/ at the end of the day weight is weight whether it's muscle or fat, and you need to keep that power to weight ratio reasonable when you're doing endurance stuff.
  • Type1Rachelle
    Options

You should consider the NYC marathon! New York Road Runners (nyrr.org) has this 9+1 program - if you're a NYRR member ($30 a year?) by January and run 9 of their qualifying races (anything from 1 milers to 5Ks, 10Ks, and half marathons) and volunteer for one of them, you get guaranteed entry to the following year's marathon. You could do it in 2013 for entry to the 2014 marathon. I did it in 2010, ran the marathon last year, did it in 2011 (was good practice for the marathon), running it this year, and have done it this year too in order to run the marathon next year. It's a really great option to get more NYers to run it - it's such a huge international race, I love seeing as many NYers as possible run it! :)

Thing is, you'd probably thin out quite a bit... aesthetically I like my body more when I lift heavy, but it does nothing for my endurance goals :-/ at the end of the day weight is weight whether it's muscle or fat, and you need to keep that power to weight ratio reasonable when you're doing endurance stuff.
  • ellemoncada
    Options
    Also checking in from Brooklyn!!