Couple Exercise Questions

Options
First question...Is it OK to do calisthenics every day? I know you are supposed to give your muscles a break after weight lifting, but what about squats and lunges and abs. I don't do 100's a day or anything, but if I do like, 2 sets of 15, with weights, is that OK? I have kind of worked it in as Interval Training with my treadmill.

Second questions...As a beginning runner, is there a technique to help me breath better? It seems I can't get past a certain point and I am winded and feel like I have to stop. I'm not sure if it's in my head that I can't go any further or not, but I don't feel like I'm improving at all.

Last questions...For those that wear a HRM do you turn it off before or after your cool down?

Appreciate any response.

Replies

• cottle2
    Options
    I can't help you with the first question but as a newbie runner also I know what you mean about the difficulty breathing. I have only been running for six weeks and have found it difficult to breath when I run. It does get easier, more effortlessly but I still have to concentrate really hard on remembering to breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth. I too will be keeping an eye out for any other replies.
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    The only one I can comment on is the HRM, I usually stop it after my cool down.
  • GretchenB1013
    Options
    When I was a new runner I had this same problem. Someone gave me the advice to breathe in when my left foot hit the ground, breathe out the next time it hit, then breathe in again on the third left-side footstrike. It helped me to get a rhythm and after a while I totally forgot about breathing and it became very natural. Hope that helps!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    On the breathing - start slow. Really, run as slow as you need to in order to keep breathing. Your speed will increase gradually over time.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I find that when I run with an IPOD jammed in my ear and the music blaring that I don't pay much attention to my breathing. I zone out with the music. It's when the music stops that I start noticing how hard I'm breathing and tend to slow down. Find some music that gets you in the going mood.
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Pay attention to how you're breathing - if you're breathing and your shoulders are moving, then you are breathing wrong. You should be breathing with your diaphragm, and feeling your stomach going out. That way you utilize your lungs all the way. :)
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Calisthenics every day should be ok. They say not to train the same muscle groups 2 days in a row but that's usually when you are lifting heavy weights, or you are sore.
  • mikewpg1ca
    mikewpg1ca Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    If you are having trouble breathing while you are running, without know all of the specific details about you running, my first thought is, run slower. Unless you are doing tempo or interval runs, you should be able to comfortably talk while you are running without having to gasp for air.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    First question...Is it OK to do calisthenics every day? I know you are supposed to give your muscles a break after weight lifting, but what about squats and lunges and abs. I don't do 100's a day or anything, but if I do like, 2 sets of 15, with weights, is that OK? I have kind of worked it in as Interval Training with my treadmill.

Second questions...As a beginning runner, is there a technique to help me breath better? It seems I can't get past a certain point and I am winded and feel like I have to stop. I'm not sure if it's in my head that I can't go any further or not, but I don't feel like I'm improving at all.

Last questions...For those that wear a HRM do you turn it off before or after your cool down?

Appreciate any response.

When I was in the Army we sure did them every day but then again we wore horrible running shoes that gave us all shin splints, ironed out beds and were a bunch on 18 & 19 year olds. Strength training is a cross training activity for me so I alternate days, I'm not sure what the definitive answer is......

If you're getting out of breath running.......slow down. Your breathing should be deep and relaxed, if you're gasping for air you're going too fast. Depending on your level of aerobic fitness perhaps you may want to consider alternating running intervals with walking.

I start my HRM as I head out of the driveway & press the stop button before I start my cool down and stretch. I do this to keep my calorie burn as conservative as possible.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!

That's from my beginner's running tips here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Also find a rhythm that suits you. I breathe in over three steps and out over the next three - if I need to breath more often I know I'm going too fast. Some people prefer two in, two out.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting weight near max effort, you should not train on consecutive days. If you are not near max effort, then it won't matter.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    If you're 'training' to the point that you find that you don't need any rest, and consistently carry out the same workout the next day without a drop off in performance, then I would say you are fine. I'd also point out that you could be spending your training time more effectively by selecting more challenging exercises if strength or muscular endurance is your aim. It's a nice workout for active rest during cardio intervals though, but may impact any strength training you follow.

Like others have said with the breathing, it is most likely that you are running too fast for your current level of fitness. You need to either reduce the intensity or the duration of your efforts.
    If you're panicking or hyperventilating, then the streams of 'breathing technique' advice that will appear on this thread may be relevant, but it's likely that you're just not fit enough yet.

I use heart rate as an indicator of whether I'm actually cooled down or not. One of the fundamental purposes of a cool down is to aid the heart returning to it's normal level, so keeping it on will allow you to monitor this. Feel free to stop at a level under 120BPM for most people.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

If you aren't going to failure, sure. At that low of a volume its no big deal.

But many people are irrationally scared of overtraining. Even going heavy you can lift every day. Concepts like Smolov, Bulgarian training, and Grease the Groove challenge the typical overtraining rules, and all of them are noted to work quite well.
  • Type1Rachelle
    Options
    If you are having trouble breathing while you are running, without know all of the specific details about you running, my first thought is, run slower. Unless you are doing tempo or interval runs, you should be able to comfortably talk while you are running without having to gasp for air.

THIS

run slower - even if you're doing intervals, take your time to warm up at a "conversational pace" - meaning, you should be able to have a conversation with someone... shoot for long slow efforts first, and you'll get more comfortable as your cardiovascular improves... then you can mix in speed and interval work. always warm up and cool down - your body truly needs it... it will help you perform and recovery better.

it's fine to do calisthenics everyday, yes, but it's best to work another area for "active recovery" if you're particularly sore in one area. as far as your weight, reps and sets, they sound fine, but this is very individual so I would go by your body's response - are you particularly sore or something? are you getting sick? not recovering well? you should definitely eat a 200-300 calorie recovery meal after - you need something with a 4:1 carb to protein ratio and you need to get it in you within 30mins of the activity. this was the biggest thing I noticed to affect my recovery - that and adequate sleep. you don't get fitter/stronger with the actual workout, you do so during the recovery, so recover well, but don't just do nothing... think active less intense recovery - a swim, a very light jog or brisk walk, something to get the blood moving.

wear your HR monitor during the whole activity, including cool down... you want to watch to see how long it takes you to recover... do you know what your recovery range is? do you know what you max is? as you get fitter, you're HR will bounce back and recover quicker, so this is a good thing to keep your eye on.
  • kpbs68
    kpbs68 Posts: 20
    Options
    I am a certified personal fitness trainer, I would like to answer your questions.
    1. You should always take 24 hrs off between muscle groups or alternate your work out so that your working the front of your body one day and the back of it the next, or alternate upper and lower. only cardio and core can be done daily.
    2. breathing while running will become instinctive, but I would suggest speed intervals on a low incline rather than flat out running it will build your cardiorespiratory ability faster.
    3. heart rate monitor always wear it through the entire work out to be sure that you finish recovery in a pre-exercise heart state.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

If you aren't going to failure, sure. At that low of a volume its no big deal.

But many people are irrationally scared of overtraining. Even going heavy you can lift every day. Concepts like Smolov, Bulgarian training, and Grease the Groove challenge the typical overtraining rules, and all of them are noted to work quite well.

Certainly true, but the one thing about it is that people training like that are probably eating a surplus rather than a deficit which would improve their recovery over someone who is intentionally undereating.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Thank you, all. Lots of things to consider here. I didn't think to add my stats. I'm 37, 5'6" and am down 28 pounds into my 135 pound goal. I've been walking, not slow, but speed walking, adding inclines and such on my treadmill and just beginning to run a little bit the last couple of weeks. I have gotten to where I feel my body can handle it cause my shins and legs don't hurt anymore, but I can't run more then 1 to 2 minutes at a time. I walk from 3.5-4.0 and I run at 4.5 so I didn't think that was too fast because I can walk at 4.0, but maybe tomorrow I will try it at 4.3 instead and see if that's any different. I never use an incline while running, only walking.

Thank you all for the advice.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    1) I've been told not to do the same part of the body on consecutive days but I'm not sure what the current info is on that. Seems like most folks on here agree that it's ok as long as you're not working to failure and I think that's probably true. It might help to know how much weight you use...

2) I agree wtih the advice above about pacing your breathing with your footfalls. I do a breath in then out for every two - so like that one person said, if you're starting with your left foot, breath in when it hits then breath out when the left foot hits again. Some do three, it depends on what works for you. This should help with the speed advice - you shouldn't be able to go too fast when you pace like this. Something that helps me is to count my footfalls so I get a good rhythm in my head and after a bit it becomes second nature. For some reason, the first 10 minutes (or mile) is the worst because you need to push past the breathing weirdness and getting your form and everything just right but after that, it seems to come very naturally.

You can try breathing in through your nose and out through you mouth but I know from personal experience that doesn't work for everyone. If you're like me and can't get enough air through your nose (seriously, I have collapsed/droopy nostrils, it's not possible) make sure you're breathing evenly and deeply enough to avoid any side stitches. If they happen, walk for a minute or two to catch your breath then start running again.

3) I leave mine running until I'm done stretching/cooling down.

It does get easier after a while but even then, we all have our bad run days...they just happen.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I have gotten to where I feel my body can handle it cause my shins and legs don't hurt anymore, but I can't run more then 1 to 2 minutes at a time. I walk from 3.5-4.0 and I run at 4.5 so I didn't think that was too fast because I can walk at 4.0, but maybe tomorrow I will try it at 4.3 instead and see if that's any different. I never use an incline while running, only walking.
    First up, one minute at a time is the perfect place to start. Walk until you get your breath back then run again. Try Couch To 5K (C25K) which will build you up from running one minute at a time to half an hour. Here it is in its simplest form, but there are apps, podcasts and all sorts to help:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Secondly, try run/walking outside. Having your pace dictated by the treadmill is very hard; outside you can pick your own. Also there are far more distractions and the time will fly by!