Need suport !!!

Options
dmnj33
dmnj33 Posts: 63 Member
Ok, so 1 year ago i was in a pretty bad car accident that really screwed up my back. I have 3 herniated disc and one very compressed disk. The docs want to perform surgery but because of my weight they will not try it. Basically he said I wont touch you until you lose a min of 50 pounds.

Suffering from severe depression this is something i did not want to hear. The pain in my back is so intense at times I can barely walk. I'm not looking for excuses but HOW !!!! How can I lose 50 pounds without exercising. I can barely walk to the bathroom.

Replies

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is done by lowering calorie intake. Exercise helps, but I have learned that its 80% (or more) your diet. :) you can do this.
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My back is slightly messed up, but not as bad as yours. With that said, I'm finding the scales dropping with calorie reduction alone. The heavier you are, the faster it comes off in the beginning. Use this site and the phone app as a tool to track everything you eat. BE HONEST and obsessive about it and you will soon discover foods you didn't think were "that bad" were your worst enemy. I'm on steroids for my back right now, and trust me when I say "I know how hard it is to cut back!"

Focus on your eating habits right now. Set a goal on here, and let it track your progress. Every thing that goes in your mouth must be tracked. You will become self-aware of your problem areas and start making healthier choices. Look at food diaries of people successful on here, and snag ideas from their habits.

Drink water ....no seriously, drink it! It will help flush out toxins and keep you feeling fuller.
    I wasn't a big water drinker, so I use sugar free flavor packets to help me increase my intake.

Try to reduce carb intake. The white stuff is EVIL ! (ie: bread, rice, pasta) Unless we're able to burn off carbs through exercise, they pile on around the middle. Vegetable carbs are not the same. Eat your veggies! Beer carbs not so good, FYI

Pay attention to sodium. I've been keeping mine under 2500 mg most days, and find my edema is going away.

Stretch. Find any movement you can do without pain, and do it through the course of your day. Some things hurt me, and some things don't. The more I stretch, the better my back feels. Sometimes I just sit in a chair and do leg lifts for a while. Or push ups against the wall. Or lay on the floor and roll around lifting my legs different ways. Or grab some light dumbbells and just raise your arms up and down. ANY movement is better than none.

Read success stories on here. It motivates me every night. I injured myself the second week of this endeavor, and still manage to shake a few pounds.

First step requires you making the commitment to better health and believing in yourself. Tracking everything is a pain in the butt, but well worth it when the scales move the right direction!
  • SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options
    Losing weight is done by lowering calorie intake. Exercise helps, but I have learned that its 80% (or more) your diet. :) you can do this.

Yup, you don't have to exercise for weight loss. MyFitnessPal has already calculated how many calories you need to eat in order to lose weight. Exercise is only factored in when you do it. Learning how to select healthy food and portion control are going to be vital. Best of luck!
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I would say talk to either your primary care or a nutritionist and ask them what your lowest calorie intake could be to lose weight in a healthy way.

Good luck with everything :)
  • abbie72003
    abbie72003 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I would say talk to either your primary care or a nutritionist and ask them what your lowest calorie intake could be to lose weight in a healthy way.

Good luck with everything :)

Agreed! If you can talk to a professional who specializes in lifestyles changes like this can be super helpful, especially when you have a hard time getting around. You can lose the weight without exercise, for the first while anyways. Maybe some weight loss will help you slowly get into some low impact exercise like swimming, etc.
  • dmnj33
    dmnj33 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    wow, never thought there would be so many nice people on here. People that understand and wanna motive. Makes me feel like im not in this alone. So use to family and so called friends picking on me. I think that's one reason my depression is so bad. I gained over 100pounds from the medication I was on. So you try to fix one problem and it creates another.

Thank you all for taking the time for me. I know I need to believe in myself first but it does help a lot to know that there are good caring people in this world.
  • magivel
    Options
    No Food? Pack It!, No Time? Find It! , Too Tired? Sleep More!, No Equipment? Find some!! No Support? Support Yourself!!!! You can do this.....i've had my hip replaced and had gained 30 pounds before the surgery...so i am in the process of trying to lose this extra weight...it's not easy....it's a long, slow process, but so was gaining it.....The weight will come off and you will be successful!!! I believe you can do this here thing....now you have to believe it as well!!! One pound...one round......here you go......that's it, that's the ticket!!!!! See you at the -50 lb finish line!!!!! Peace always..... Ms. V