First time with this

Options
Okay here is a little about me I have been over weight for a long time now; but I really need to lose the weight now so I can keep up with my kids there is a 2 year old and a 4 month old. What is the best way to lose weight and stay active? Are there any exercises I can do with my kids to make them want to stay healthy as they grow?

Replies

• mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Welcome and Good Luck on your weight loss journey! I would suggest that you guys walk! Walking is fabulous and you can put the baby in the stroller!
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I agree! Walking is a great way to get out with the kids and get you on track! It can be a famliy thing that you build a tradition on! Good luck! I would also suggest looking into Wii games for kids that get them moving and you can do them too!
  • christinekmw
    christinekmw Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you. If I were going to offer one suggestion to getting started is just to start. I used to spend all of this time "planning" my weight loss plan and then I never did it, which only got me down even more. Don't think too much about it---just get out and walk and move. Don't try to do too much to fast--if you are like me you'll be all gungho for about a month and then the pain of pushing yourself will make you give up. Do what you can, not what you think you should be able to at first. You want to be able to stay with it for the long haul because you will not get there overnight.

No matter if you choose a structured diet plan like Weight Watchers or Atkins or whatever, the underlying principle is the same. In order to lose weight you have to use more calories than you eat, which means your body gets the energy you need from the storage that you already have (fat) rather than from food. How do you do that--exercise more or eat less or a combination of the two. This is what I really like about My Fitness Pal (MFP). You plug in the foods you eat and the calories you burn and it tells you exactly how you are doing--without judgement or guilt.

Wow, apparently I'm in the mood to chat today. If you're looking for someone to 'friend' I'd be happy to try some mutual support. I have been logging on MFP for 60 days now but have been going it on my own. Might be nice to have someone to share my ups and downs with. Don't worry---no judgement or guilt :-)

christinekmw