Paleo for Weight loss?

I have an acute case of colitis and have read that paleo can help with GI problems. When I logged in my foods today at lunch time mfp it says I'm out of my daily allowance for protein. Do you eat more protein with a paleo diet? Has anyone successfully used a paleo diet for weight loss? Any suggestions or tips?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    I do paleo because my wife has to be gluten free for her heart condition. We both love this way of eating. Also, mfps macros are vased on the US standard. I usually adjust it to 35% carb, 40% protein and 25% fats. High protein diets are much more effective for weight loss and satiety.

We also just got a slow cooker recipe book, not by Dr. Conrad, but it has great recipes.
  • dfammama
    dfammama Posts: 20 Member
    Thanks for sharing!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    If you are doing Paleo you will need to change your % manually in increase protein as MFP sets it very low (15%)
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    I agree, you will want to change the percentages. I also eat Paleo and determined my ratios in this manner - .8 grams of protein per pound of current weight, carbs at 60 to 75 grams, and fat at whatever is left over for calorie goal. Usually ends up around 25/45/25 or 30/40/30. I don't each much fruit, so if you do your carbs will naturally be a bit higher.
  • I have an acute case of colitis and have read that paleo can help with GI problems. When I logged in my foods today at lunch time mfp it says I'm out of my daily allowance for protein. Do you eat more protein with a paleo diet? Has anyone successfully used a paleo diet for weight loss? Any suggestions or tips?

if you are that concerned you have to know how much your are eating. If you are eating clean paleo than for most this, compared to what they used to eat, naturally reduces their caloric intake, and thus fat is lossed.

If by a few weeks, you still have not gotten any results, then I would seriously considering monitoring your intake, and if that doesn't work, get some blood work done, make sure you dont have any other issues.

Don't forget about stress, sleep, and recovery.
  • I have switched to paleo for the last week for health issues as well. I am trying to eat back most of my exercise calories but find that I am not that hungry. I have lost 6 lbs in one week. Before this change in diet, I was gaining every weekend and slowly losing some of it during the week while staying in calorie range.
    I notice that my protein is pretty high too, but I am not worrying about it for now. Hope this helps.