Inches Lost But Not Weight!

Options
I'm looking for some advice....I'm 29 years old & weigh 160 (now). My goal weight is 145. I'm on Day 45 of Insanity and have lost 23.5 inches (yay!), but only have lost 10 lbs. I know muscle weighs more than fat, but why is the weight not coming off? That seems a little odd that 23.5 inches could equal only 10 lbs!!!

I am counting calories. I net about 1200 calories a day roughly 5 days a week and 2000 calories a day roughly 2 days a week (weekends). I have tried increasing my calories a little but I started gaining weight. I then tried to stablize my calories so my weekends weren't binging, but I gained weight then too.

Not sure what other information might be helpful, but I'd be curious to get any expert advice from others who have run into this issue...and whether it's normal and if not, what I can do to start weight loss! Thanks, everyone!

Replies

• Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Does it really matter what the scales says if you look hot? I would think how you look would matter more than what a scale says and with all those lose inches, I would think you are heading in the right direction.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    You are significantly changing your body composition and inches are much more important than the number on the scale. Sometime what you are eating not just calories can impact this as well. I've lost a little over 4 inches from my waistline, the first 2 inches were the result of about 20lb loss, the second 2 from about 10lbs. For me, dropping grains contributed to more inches lost than calorie restriction alone.
  • FitGirl329
    FitGirl329 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It's just a number. Focus on what your body looks like and how your clothes fit. I repeat: it's just a number!!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat, as one pound of muscle equals one pound of fat...I know what you are trying to say though...I am heavier than when I started my fitness journey in April. My clothes fit differently though. Waist is looser, bum and legs tighter. I am in the same size clothes despite being a lot heavier. Inch losses, mean FAT losses which is a GREAT thing. The scale is not the friend you think it is on the whole of your weight loss and fitness journey. I no longer use a scale. I go by how my clothes and underwear fits. My weight could differ up to 6lbs in one day from glycogen/water gains during strength training, so I stopped weighing myself. : )

Celebrate your inch losses how fabulous!!!!!!!!!
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    CLICK HERE: http://media-cache-ec3.pinterest.com/upload/125678645821528715_W2gjDghe_c.jpg

It's true. :) Don't forget it and keep going!!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    CLICK HERE: http://media-cache-ec3.pinterest.com/upload/125678645821528715_W2gjDghe_c.jpg

It's true. :) Don't forget it and keep going!!!!

Love the Hello Kitty tatoo!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    This would be a problem why?? Congrats!! Nice job.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Nice work so far! Do you have a question? What are you loking for advice on?
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Think about it like this:
    Maybe you lost 30 lbs of fat and gained 20 lbs of muscle... that is pretty darn good
    I am big into what the scale says but with 23 inches lost I wouldnt cry :flowerforyou:
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I don't see the problem. Congrats!
  • brooke7ia
    brooke7ia Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. Yes, I know that what I look like (not the number) matters...however, I am NOT fitting into my old clothes because the inches lost isn't all from the same places I first gained, if that makes sense. But I guess what I'm asking is I'm curious if there's something I'm doing/not doing that would contribute to the lack of number dropping. Do I need more weight lifting? Do I need to drop carbs? Do I need to increase calories? Or something else? My inches-lost is awesome but I want back in my old clothes!
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. Yes, I know that what I look like (not the number) matters...however, I am NOT fitting into my old clothes because the inches lost isn't all from the same places I first gained, if that makes sense. But I guess what I'm asking is I'm curious if there's something I'm doing/not doing that would contribute to the lack of number dropping. Do I need more weight lifting? Do I need to drop carbs? Do I need to increase calories? Or something else? My inches-lost is awesome but I want back in my old clothes!

Why? Get new ones :bigsmile: I just went out and bought a new pair of jeans...from 42/44 down to a 38. Sure....I could have worn some old ones, but the act of buying new... absolutely awesome. New Body, new Clothes, new YAY :drinker:

Not sure what your shape was before, but maybe the inches lost in different areas is telling you that your old shape wasn't an "in shape" shape and the one you are making now, is.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Think about it like this:
    Maybe you lost 30 lbs of fat and gained 20 lbs of muscle... that is pretty darn good
    I am big into what the scale says but with 23 inches lost I wouldnt cry :flowerforyou:

Oh dear. Gaining 20 lbs of muscle in 45 days by doing Insanity while in a calorie deficit? :laugh:
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You won! That's a wet dream, indicates fat loss with no muscle loss. Throw a party.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    First of all... a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat...they just take up different amounts of space.

That being said...you also have to build up the muscle so that you can burn the fat.

By the sound of it, you are losing (for example) 2 inches of fat and gaining 1 inch of muscle.

Don't get discouraged...and stop stressing about the scale...measurements are the best way to determine your loss anyway. Once you get to the point that the muscle and fat ratio start to level out...you will see the scale move.

No worries....
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    This is a problem!?!? This means you are losing fat and gaining muscle, which is a GREAT thing!!

Keep up the measuring and just keep that in mind. That is a GREAT lose in inches!! AWESOME!!!!
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure this should be under "Success Stories" instead. 10 lbs in 45 days with THAT many inches loss is awesome.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Does it really matter what the scales says if you look hot? I would think how you look would matter more than what a scale says and with all those lose inches, I would think you are heading in the right direction.

Yup its not like we carry a sign around our neck saying "I weigh XXX pounds today"
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    First of all... a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat...they just take up different amounts of space.
    A cubic inch of muscle takes up the same amount of space as a cubic inch of fat. :smooched:

I think that people are smart enough to understand that, when someone says that muscle weighs more than fat that they are talking about at a given volume.
  • drakechic08
    drakechic08 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have lost 22 lbs and only 8 lbs also. Its body recomposition. I am back in my smallest size pants, even though I am 30 lbs heavier than I was last time. Its a good thing, so don't sweat it. I am changing my goals from a weight to a size. Worrying so much about the weight itself is a demotivator for me anymore.