Help! Plateau!!

Options
Help! I have reached a plateau with my weightloss. I have been dieting since January and have lost 25 pounds. I have recently stopped losing weight the last 2 weeks. I work out usually 5 days a week. I am currently doing C25K (on week 4), and I also do a mixture of my Jillian Michaels DVDs. I have been eating around 1100 to 1200 calories a day. If anyone has some suggestions on how to boost it again I would appreciate it! I am doing a weightloss program with my work and we weigh in weekly I need help on how to get this going again!

Replies

• EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is not a plateau. Sometimes your body stalls for a couple weeks and then picks up again. Weight loss isn't linear, so you're going to see bumps in your graph every so often. Once you hit 4-6 weeks without a change, that's a plateau. If you don't see a change in the next couple of weeks, try to reassess your calories (maybe you need to increase them?) and change up your exercise routine so your body doesn't get too comfortable.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    If your plateau continues for 2 more weeks, increase your calories or eat back your exercise calories..
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Doing all that exercise with only 1100 to 1200 calories a day? =/
  • MissJenova
    Options
    If your plateau continues for 2 more weeks, increase your calories or eat back your exercise calories..

This. I really think you need to eat more and try that out for a few weeks before you shut it down. Good luck!!!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Doing all that exercise with only 1100 to 1200 calories a day? =/

That would appear to be the problem.

The OP should read this, probably the best explanation of what is going on:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

Too big of a deficit = plateau. Your body plateauing is a very good indication that your deficit is too big. Decrease your deficit and your plateau will break, and loss resume, until your deficit is yet again too big. Trying to pull off a big deficit (2 lb/wk) only works if you are very obese.
  • kimberly_grubbs
    kimberly_grubbs Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I agree - you're not eating enough with everything else you're doing! Also, even if it seems like a plateau, your consistency is key to losing, even if it takes a few weeks to get through.
  • emfischer90
    emfischer90 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have recently started running with the c25k program. I have now completed week 6. I find when I run the weight comes off all the sudden. I won't see a change for a couple weeks then I will drop 3 pounds over night. Don't get discouraged just keep up the good work. By the way, I also strength train (circuit training) 3 days a week and swim on sundays.

I also found that when I upped my calories from 1200 to 1400 for a couple days- that is when the weight dropped.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    i have been dieting...

diets are short term... lifestyle changes are long term...

pick a direction and then you will be able to figure out when you plateau
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Increase your calorie intake by about 200...sounds like your body has said "enough with this starvation". This happened to me and I stalled out of r 3 months...the week I started to eat more ~ BAM ~ weight started to go down. Be thankful you didn't gain...cuz that will happen if you aren't eating enough too.

Good luck!
  • gdrmuzak
    gdrmuzak Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    What others previously said...also have you reviewed/reset your online MFP goals since you started. If not, you need to do that every 5-10 lbs because of a reduction in your body's calorie needs due to weightless. If adjustments are not made, then there will be a reduction in approximating one weekly weight loss potential...meaning instead of a 1 lb/week goal it will turn into a 0.8 lb/week goal.

For instance, because of my 12 lb. weight loss since I started 2 months ago, my required calories/day has been reduced by 70 cal/day due to losing 12 pounds. If I'd maintained the original calories "required", I'd only be at a .7/.8 lbs/wk weight loss goal now.
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Relax. Eat Wholesome Foods. Overeat every week or so. Move copiously and with joy.
  • Kamalka
    Kamalka Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    When something like this happen to me, I opt for a cardio exercise (or 2 or 3) that I like and do a 30-30...meaning that after warm up, for 3 minutes, I go 30 sec as fast as I can, 30 sec slow (repeat 3 times or 5 if you are advanced)...then 5 min normal and again 3 min 30-30. Depending on your level, you can reproduce it for 15 or 45 min. Of course, as fast as you can is about 90% of your top speed as you have several sets coming up. It is perfect on a bike or a run. That increase your metabolism, burns fat and build muscle even when you rest at night...
  • Stacjsteinert5
    Stacjsteinert5 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice! I will keep what I'm doing for exercise and have increase my calories to around 1500. Thanks!