waterproof calorie monitor for swimming?

Options
Anyone aware of a decent quality, not uber-spendy calorie tracker that could be worn swimming as well as the rest of the day... like a waterproof fitbit?

I'm having trouble locating one.

Replies

• NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    *crickets chirping*
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Dont know if they exist. The usual watch and heart rate strap wont work as the sensors wont transmit in the water.

a time and distance calculation should be close enough for monitoring purposes.
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    Options
    I do water aerobics, alas.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    My Polar FT4 is water resistant and as long as you make sure the chest strap is really tight so it stays in contact it works fine for swimming. You can't push any buttons while it's wet but you really don't need to do that. A HRM isn't meant to be worn all the time like a FitBit though, it's only for exercise while your HR is elevated.
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    Options
    Thanks for the thought.

Alas, I will just have to get a FitBit and hack it with silicone caulking or something. :)
  • MandysChange
    MandysChange Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    How did that work for you? I am in the same situation, needing a waterproof calorie monitor.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    A Polar HRM will work fine. They are water resistant to 30 or 40 m deep and work just fine as long as you keep the chest strap tight.