To eat before or after morning workout?

Options
Hi guys, the subject of my post pretty much says it all.
I've started to do a workout DVD morning and evening which consists of a warm up section, then aerobics, then a tone up section and finally the cool down/stretches. It lasts approximately 45 minutes. I then follow that by at least 45 minutes of cardio on my exercise bike.
I've been doing that before I've eaten breakfast in the morning, is that okay? Or should I be eating breakfast beforehand?

Replies

• blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I do a protein shake before the morning workout
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    so many directions and beliefs on this...

some say if you work out on an empty stomach your body has no choice but to burn fat

some say you need that fuel to push you through the workout

some say without food you could pass out from intense exercise

all i will say is i have done both and i have never really noticed a difference in my cardio when doing it but when doing weights i do feel weaker and cant push out as many reps on an empty stomach
  • alaska11
    alaska11 Posts: 151
    Options
    I think if you listen to your body you will be fine. If I eat before working out I feel like I'm going to throw up.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    If you prefer to do it the way you've been doing it, there's no reason to change.
  • nutrinancy
    Options
    Current research shows that you will burn more fat if you consume a small meal before the workout. I recommend consuming some protein and high-quality carbs. As examples: hat could mean a small bowl of oatmeal or whole grain cereal with 5 walnut halves, chopped. Or it could be a piece of whole wheat toast with a half Tbsp. of natural peanut butter. After the workout, drink water and eat a half banana to replace potassium.
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I don't bother. I feel fine without eating beforehand.
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Twice a week I do morning workouts, I don't eat before. I tried it both ways and found that I don't need to eat anything before. I eat afterwards. My afternoon workout day, I eat something small one hour before workout. But I am not going to get up any earlier than 5 just to have something small!
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I like to work out fasted. Then do my protein shake right after.
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    That's a personal decision. Some people feel ok doing cardio on an empty stomach, and other people like to eat before. When I was able to work out before work, I did it on an empty stomach, but now that I work out in the afternoon, I've eaten. I feel the same either way. Good luck!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Let your body tell you. If you don't eat, workout, then feel like garbage when you're done, you should probalby eat.

I have to eat before a workout of an kind. I feel like complete dog mess if I don't.