Reprieve from Late Night Salty Snacks

Options
Need alternative choices for salty snacks.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a lower calorie salty snacks?
Usually I have a sweet tooth but lately it seems like potatoe chips are calling my name. Especially late at night.
I don't think I have ever had this kind of craving before. Usually I crave sugar.
Any idea how I can satisfy this craving with a better choice?
Or why all of the sudden I seem to not get enough food with salt?? (I usually don't even salt my food.)
:tongue:

Replies

• Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Popcorn? Pretty low cals, if you don't ate very much of it...
  • SiaGrace
    SiaGrace Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That may work. I do have to watch out on corn products because I do have some food allergies. What is odd to me is why I would even crave something salty. This has never happened to me. Thanks for responding. I apprciate your help!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,718 Member
    Options
    Someone posted this on another thread about salty crunchy snacks, and I think it is brilliant:

Turkey salami, zapped in the microwaved until crisp. Tastes like bacon. Not super low cal, but I don't need much to satisfy the urge and it doesn't lend itself easily to mindless munching. In the same vein, beef jerky.

Veggie based: Edamame beans in the shell sprinkled with rough salt. Mixed organic bean sprouts sprinkled with garlic salt, and eaten like nuts.
  • SiaGrace
    Options
    Thank you these are original ideas! Maybe I will find a new replacement. I appreciate your suggestions!:smile:
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,718 Member
    Options
    If you need to go with something pre-packaged, pretzels are usually a better choice than chips, not being fried at least. Some people would probably suggest nuts and seeds, but they have quite a lot of fat and I can go overboard on those quite easily.
  • pkrichar
    pkrichar Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Kale chips are great, low cal and you can control the salt.
  • SiaGrace
    Options
    I forgot about kale chips. i have tried those before. Thanks for your help!
  • SiaGrace
    Options
    I like the idea about prepackaged pretzels too. Nuts & seeds good idea too. Once again I do have to watch for certain kinds. I know I'm somewhat allergic to almonds. (Tested by an allergist.. last year). Once again thanks again so much for everyone help.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    How about rice cakes? Those dry ones what you can buy at grocery store in plastic bags. Kinda like popcorn too. ^^
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I wanted to second nuts, seeds, flavored rice cakes (the caramel corn take care of sweet/salty for me), and popcorn. I'm not a huge popcorn fan, but we found a brand that is seriously delicious (pre-popped) and it's 33 cals per cup.

Sometimes sushi, pickles or tomatoes with salt on them are good too.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Cabbage with Spike seasoning satisfies my craving for salty crunch.
    Rinse the cabbage first so the Spike will stick to it.
  • lisamariepickering
    Options
    I always crave something salty at night and chips used to be my go to. Now if I want something salty I eat Special K Cracker Chips. 27 chips for 110 calories. They're great as long as you portion them out and don't eat the whole box.
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Kale Chips, carrots and wholey guacamole and wasabi flavored almonds are my go-to healthy salty snacks.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Dry roasted almonds
    Popchips
    Special K chips
    Cottage Cheese
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Pickles are nice - low cal but very high in sodium. Carrots with hummus?

I have tried to just slay the late night snacking altogether by brushing my teeth after dinner and only drinking (tea, seltzer, or plain old water).
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I have found that for me, filling up on salty crunchy processed foods just leaves me bloated, regretful and not really that satisfied...

So, I turn to salty but a higher fat snack. Like bacon, salame, avocado with salsa, etc.

You see cups and cups of popcorn can really add up in calories faster than you think...anything made with flour, etc. Same thing.

Fats, satisfy and in turn cut back on the cravings.

Make sure your dinners are complete with natural real foods and filling as well :-)

Best of Luck!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Popcorn, pretzels, rice cakes, and I've been eating an egg on toast with a little salt as a snack. Pretty tasty. It gives you the crunch, protein, but no grease (although sometimes I use a teeny bit of butter).
  • foodcallsme
    Options
    - Special K chips (I prefer the sour cream and onion flavor)

- 1 cup of Popcorn (I prefer the brand Smart Balance - because they have a realistic butter flavor)

- Weight Watchers BBQ chips... Serving size is one small bag. (These can be purchased in-person at any weight watcher store site.)

- A piece of Celery wrapped in a Turkey slice (The turkey satisfies my salty craving and the celery is for crunch) And sometimes I dip this in wasabi and soy sauce to satisfy any sushi cravings too, lol.

- For a sweet snack - I'll do 3/4 Cup of Honey Smacks Cereal... yum!

- 35 calories (1 pack of Miso Soup - instant. It makes 1 large cup. Just boil water and add the packet.) The seaweed and the salty broth is really delicious.
  • SiaGrace
    Options
    More great ideas. Thanks for everyones support. I'm going to try some of these lower calorie ideas to see if it will help! Many of them I hadn't even thought of! Like I said usually sugar is my favorite problem food.